VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Dubbers, I did a search on the forum and mostly people with speeds 1-3 not working which is usually the resistors but not too much info on the high speed blower not working or the information is incorrect in some cases (per the Bentley).
I am 99% sure the A/C relay is fried but its usually the 1% uncertainty that kills us Dubbers, which in this case is a lose connection to the blower.
For the people with the Bentley, the current flow diagram is on page 254.
I hoping someone has solved this problem before before I start trouble shooting my assumption in the freezing cold.
The switch is fine because I am getting 12v in the Yellow/Red wire leading from the switch when I put the selector to position 4. Now this voltage, unlike speeds 1 to 3 which goes to the blower resistor pack, goes to the A/C Relay in location number 1 in the fuse/relay panel (1-3 works so the resistor pack is out of the question). This also eliminates a blown fuse since 1-3 works. Now.....from the relay, the 12V goes directly to the blower through a Black wire. It's too cold outside (-20 Celcius tonight) to rip out the glove box and see if I am getting the 12 volts leading into the blower.
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and want to get some idea as to what your fix was. It's weird why the A/C relay would blow but I guess it is possible.
Thanks for any inputs and hopefully the information above may help someone in the future without a Bentley troubleshoot this system.
BTW, there should be 5 wires connected to the switch if you have a 4 speed fan and A/C.
Red/White is 12V ACC
White is Speed 1 signal to Resistor Pack
Yellow/Black is Speed 2 signal to Resistor Pack
Yellow is Speed 3 signal to Resistor Pack
Yellow/Red is Speed 4 to A/C Relay

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: MKII w/ AC.....4th Blower Speed Not Working. (Evil16vGLI)

I searched the archives already under blower, a/c, a/c relay. Most of the people have problems with speeds 1 to 3 NOT working. I am the opposite.
For the posts that have information on this, they are all pointing at either the switch or the resistor pack. I've eliminated these already as the problem.
For the few that do have speed 4 not working, everyone is telling them to go the the resistor pack also but......Speed 4 does not go to the resistors.
Sorry, not trying to sound like a smart ass though. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
6,607 Posts
Re: MKII w/ AC.....4th Blower Speed Not Working. (92Valver)

hey man i've had this problem!! let me know wat it is. doesn't really matter anymore cuz i'm doing a3 dash, but id like to know

it would do it sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't. just went outside and its working fine. it did it was night when it was freezing out though

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

I have the same problem in my 91 Jetta 8v, I have gone to the junkyard and bought the switch that changes the speed, It is still doing the same. YOu are right as far as 1-3 going bad first, but my 4th is the first to go. When you find out, Id sure like to know. I havent gotten a bently manual yet. So im in the weeds. Good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: MKII w/ AC.....4th Blower Speed Not Working. (Veedubgti)

Veedubgti,
Just want to make sure that in your wife's air conditioned MKII, speeds 1 to 3 WORK OK and high speed 4 did NOT and the problem was solved by replacing the A/C relay in slot number 1 in the fuse/relay panel...right?
Thanks and sorry for being anal.
wil

·
Registered
3,704 Posts

Wil, there's nothing wrong with being anal, I'm the same way. Yes 1-3 DID work. 4th DID NOT. It was the relay. It had power going into it but nothing coming out. Swap it out and your 4th speed should work. That is the only speed that gets it's power off of the A/C relay. The other 3 are powered by the switch. If you've got power at relay terminal 3/3 when the switch is on 4th but not at terminal 6/6, make sure you have constant power(30) at terminal 8/8 and constant ground(31) at terminal 1/1. Good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: MKII w/ AC.....4th Blower Speed Not Working. (Veedubgti)

Thanks.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif This helps prove my original hypothesis about the fried relay.

With all this information on this thread, everyones fans should be working now!!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

yeh mine's tempermental like this too.... 1-3 work all the time but 4 shuts everything down for some reason.....
my solution - turning it to 4; if it shuts off, slide the top to off and then back to whatever position i wanted to begin with - works 90% of the time on the first try. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replying to this 18 years since OP’s post. My MK2 diesel with air con only works on speeds 1,2 and 3 … but not 4. I tried many things until I replaced the Air Conditioning Relay today. Topran makes it, 171 959 141 A . For the first time, 4 fired on. Still reading these old boards, hope people keep posting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts