VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2000 Jetta VR6 with the Eibach Pro-System installed in to get an alignment the other day. This is my first alignment since installed a month or so ago. I went to Pep Boys (maybe a mistake) since it's right next to where I live. Since I got my car back, the wheel needs to be slightly to the left to go straight. It has no pull and the toe seems to be okay.
I took it back in and they put it on the rack and told me that the "wheel cannot be straightened since I have a lowering kit." They said the caster is different from side to side and it causes the car to pull slightly to one side. That they say is why the wheel is off.
My question is can't the steering wheel's position still be adjusted in relation to the wheels without changing the overall toe value to make the wheel "centered?"
Here are the alignment values after it was done:

Left Front Right Front
Caster: 7.54 deg 7.86 deg
Camber: -1.02 deg -0.33 deg
Toe: -0.03 deg -0.02 deg
Edit: sorry the spacing between the values didn't carry through

Modified by MacDalund at 5:59 PM 11-18-2004

· Banned
10,280 Posts
Re: MkIV Alignment question - "Centering" the wheel (MacDalund)

Hmmm thats a big camber difference between left and right and is actually out of spec. You should take it to a shop that really knows VW's and get them to "shift the subframe" to even it out. My alignment shop did this on my car.
Also, I believe it is possible to center the steering wheel independent of the suspension but I am not 100% sure on that. I would have to check the Bentley shop manual. Their claim that lowering prevents them from doing this is nonsense. Your caster is fine and in fact it is designed to be a little higher on the right to account for road crowning. In the UK & Japan, I think it is supposed to be a little higher on the left side.
I would definitely get a 2nd opinion at another shop. I doubt Pep Boys will give you your money back, but I'm sure they will give you some discount coupons or something if you bug them.

Modified by phatvw at 6:26 PM 11-18-2004

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MkIV Alignment question - "Centering" the wheel (phatvw)

Yeah, I told them about adjusting the subframe to center the camber and they just rolled their eyes at me. I'm not going back in to get my money back because it would just be a waste of my time.
I'll set up an appointment at a VW tuner here in MN in the next week to check this out. Any other thoughts?

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,070 Posts

My car has been like that since the day I picked it up. Alignments make it better, but then it always comes back. I am curious as to what the VW shop has to say.

· Registered
655 Posts

My steering wheel was actually off center after the eibach system was installed. The mechanic pulled it off and centered it! lol. Then I took it to Goodyear and they corrected the problem.

· Registered
443 Posts
Re: MkIV Alignment question - "Centering" the wheel (Ken1.8T)

Oh man. A couple of things:
1. How did you get so much caster? That sounds like alot for your car. A WHOLE lot. Defintely get the car somewhere real because those numbers don't sound right. Your car should have something like 2° castor.
2. My car has a .5° difference in castor and the wheel is perfectly straight. I have 1.5 on the L and 1.0 on the right. -1.9° camber on each side and perfect 1/16" toe out and it is centered perfect and runs road crown perfect. (MKII chassis)
3. The camber should be the same on each side, and this is entirely possible given your situation. In fact, you can get the camber perfect even if the castor has some discrepancy.
4. Toe also fx wheel position. Make it perfect - also possible regardless of caster settings.
Good luck! Oh - and it is sooooooooo worth it to have the right alignment. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
10,280 Posts
Re: MkIV Alignment question - "Centering" the wheel (maxorange7)

Quote, originally posted by maxorange7 »
Oh man. A couple of things:
1. How did you get so much caster? That sounds like alot for your car. A WHOLE lot. Defintely get the car somewhere real because those numbers don't sound right. Your car should have something like 2° castor.

The OEM caster spec for the MkIV chassis is approx 7.5° +/- 0.5° so he is close to spec. You are probably comparing to a different chassis type.

· Registered
2,434 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MacDalund »
I went to Pep Boys (maybe a mistake) since it's right next to where I live.

Check your tire pressure. Shops like Pep Boys will sometimes blow up a tire to 90psi (exaggerating) to make a car feel like it's straighter than it really is. Basically instead of aligning your wheels properly they are increasing tire pressure on one side of your car to offset any pulling in a steering wheel.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: MkIV Alignment question - "Centering" the wheel (FlyinVR6)

Quote, originally posted by FlyinVR6 »

Check your tire pressure. Shops like Pep Boys will sometimes blow up a tire to 90psi (exaggerating) to make a car feel like it's straighter than it really is. Basically instead of aligning your wheels properly they are increasing tire pressure on one side of your car to offset any pulling in a steering wheel.

I'll do just that tomorrow.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well I went to a shop in Minneapolis that had a lot of recommendations from a local tuner and other dubbers online called Hoover Wheel. They fixed it all no problem. The guy laughed when I told him about my last experience. Best part is is that an alignment is $40 flat. http://****************.com/smile/emgift.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.