VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (VgRt6)

Hey!...don't I get a
for pointing out that link...

Just kidding...another nice write up! I'll try this sometime soon...These locks are driving me nuts...
--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts

Not sure how long ago that link was created. I stumbled upon it through Google when my girlfriend's Golf starting acting crazy...
On a somewhat unrelated note, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the VW (owner) community. Not being a VW owner myself (although a frequent driver), I found these forums while trying to troubleshoot various problems my girlfriend's very problematic 99.5 Golf GL. I'm happy to say, I've saved quite a bit of money and time by consulting with others on these boards. Despite the problems with VW part failures and the shady dealerships, my next car might be a VW just because of the community.
Well, looks like we got the dreaded P1128 code last night, so a new MAF sensor might be in our future...
Keep up the good work Gary.
--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (1point8TRay)

I was just at the dealer picking up a MAF sensor and a guy came in with the exact same lock problem. I tried to tell him what the problem probably was, but he just ignored me like I wasn't even there.
My moment of satisfaction was when the parts guy quoted him $350 to look at it. It was obvious this wasn't the first time he was there for the same issue. The guy got all bent out of shape and stormed out. Screw 'em...it's people like this that deserve to get reamed by the dealer.
On another note, I got the MAF and the parts guy questioned what I wanted it for. He said it's very rare for someone to ask for that part over the counter. He was convinced I was from a garage somewhere. Funny.

--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: (VgRt6)

The locks on my g/f's car have never been quite right and we've always had to go back and double check that the driver's side door locked properly. This weekend I had the alarm go off on me in front of AutoZone no less than 5 times before I could get it to lock properly...

I hate living in an apartment! I would have fixed this a while ago if I had a decent place to tear the car door apart.

It would be nice when people fix this, that they snap a picture of the cracked solder joints. Maybe enough of these pictures can spur VW to admit a manufacturing defect and fix it for free http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .
--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: (VgRt6)

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
...hopefully that and the PhD after my name would get this noticed.

I'm glad to see that a Ph.D. is good for something.
(I'm starting my fifth year of grad school
)
--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts

So, I still haven't tried the fix yet (no free time), but after reading your update, I had a couple questions:
1. If it turns out to be a bad microswitch, how would one test this?
2. Will VW sell you just the switch or try to sell you the entire lock module assembly? How about a part number?
I just don't want to rip the door apart only to have to put it back together to drive to VW.
Thanks.
--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts

Michael - If you can describe how the door behaves when it's acting up, I can probably make an educated guess as to what's wrong with it. That could save you the hassle of opening up the door only to have to put it back together without fixing anything.
Also, what door is it? The part number for the module is door specific.
Gary

Thanks Gary...your explanations are http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif quality. You should be writing for Bentley.
It's a little hard to reproduce because the problems don't always occur. I assume this may be an indicator of a bad solder joint that often makes good contact rather than a bad switch which would either be good or not.
Here are the symptoms (as I can remember them):
- All problems occur with the driver's side door (on a 2-door).
- Unlock door with remote or key, get in, close door, after a few seconds, both doors lock. Trying to start car sets alarm off.
- Unlock door with remote, get in, leave driver door open, after a few seconds, the car locks only the other door. Driver door stays unlocked.
- With both doors closed and unlocked, very often locking the car with FOB, only passenger door locks.

Does this sound more like a solder joint or a switch? Thanks.
for you.
--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts

Thanks Gary. I'll finally have time over the Labor Day weekend to check this out (along with a timing belt/water pump/thermostat replacement). I'll post pics of the joints.
In EVERY case I've been involved in to this point where this has happened (all 4 of them
), it's been the solder joints.

Seems statistically significant to me...
Better start drafting that letter to VWoA.
--
Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts

Finally fixed the driver side door on my girlfriend's 99.5 Golf. The locks now work like they're supposed to. Here is a pic of the one cracked solder joint. The others seemed OK, but I went ahead and strengthened them. Apologies for the somewhat blurry picture. My camera doesn't do macro-shots too well.

One note, however, is that getting that door apart is a nightmare. I also ended up wasting a good part of the day trying to find a 12-point Torx bit for the 2 door latch screws. I tried unsuccessfully at Pep Boys, Sears, Lowe's, and two local shops. I finally ended up going to the dealer and getting a service guy to loosen it up. Thank god that guy came through, because every other bit I had was just stripping it.

Thanks for an awesome write-up, Gary. Hope this makes the case stronger.
--
Mike

Modified by mschaff at 1:40 PM 9-5-2004

·
Registered
316 Posts

So maybe i spoke too soon. After a few days of the locks working normally, upon our arrival in Boston from Philly, my girlfriend tried to lock the car with the remote and the alarm started going nuts. Neither remote would function properly and the only way we could get the alarm off was to lock and unlock the door manually with the key. To get the remotes working again, I had to do the trick with putting a key in the door and one in the ignition to 'reprogram' the remotes.
When I came back down to check on it (just to make sure the alarm wasn't going off), I tried both remotes and they seemed to work fine (lock, unlock, and trunk). Very strange, but quite intermittent. Did I miss a bad solder joint or switch on that door or could it be the passenger door or trunk hatch?
--
Mike

Modified by mschaff at 8:33 AM 9-7-2004

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (JmakVR6)

Yep...I just got back from my local AutoZone and they don't stock that 12-point bit.

Think I'll get it on-line just in case I ever need it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts