VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1076 Posts

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (mschaff)

Sorry!
Actually, you can have a case of
too! If it weren't for you posting that link, MANY of us wouldn't know about this fix!
My one question is ... HOW COME THIS LINK WAS ONLY POSTED RECENTLY!?!?!? Was the TaligentX link just posted recently? Or did you just find out about it recently? I wish someone had figured this out years ago. I'm kicking my self for not taking my lock module apart a year ago when I changed my regulator clips.

Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 11:30 AM 8-15-2004

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (VgRt6)

Not sure how long ago that link was created. I stumbled upon it through Google when my girlfriend's Golf starting acting crazy...
On a somewhat unrelated note, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the VW (owner) community. Not being a VW owner myself (although a frequent driver), I found these forums while trying to troubleshoot various problems my girlfriend's very problematic 99.5 Golf GL. I'm happy to say, I've saved quite a bit of money and time by consulting with others on these boards. Despite the problems with VW part failures and the shady dealerships, my next car might be a VW just because of the community.
Well, looks like we got the dreaded P1128 code last night, so a new MAF sensor might be in our future...
Keep up the good work Gary.
--
Mike

·
Registered
23,329 Posts
Great writeup! I was about to replace some door modules for like 110 bucks a pop or more! I understand its not exactly easy to take everything apart, but the actual fix is easy!
Nice post and love you guys for making DIY's!

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Quote, originally posted by mschaff »
Well, looks like we got the dreaded P1128 code last night, so a new MAF sensor might be in our future...

A new MAF will definitely fix P1128. I'd love to know the percentage of MKIV VWs that have had this code. I'm sure it's some ridiculously high number.
Gary

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Re: (Pifiu)

Quote, originally posted by Pifiu »
Great writeup! I was about to replace some door modules for like 110 bucks a pop or more! I understand its not exactly easy to take everything apart, but the actual fix is easy!

You're correct. Getting to the door module is not the easiest thing, but the actual fix of the module is simple. Regardless of whether yo ureplace the module or repair it, you still have to do the same amount of work to get to the module, so you might as well save the $100+ and repair the existing ones.
Yesterday I fixed my driver's door module and everything is working normally again.
My front passenger's module has acted up in the past, but is now currently working OK. I'm planning on resoldering the joints on it as well just so it won't start acting up in the future.
Gary

·
Registered
440 Posts

Good write up.
I have a question though.
I unlock using the remote then the door relocks after ~30 seconds unless I put the key in the ignition. Is this normal or a problem with the module? The interior lights do come on when I open the door so it should know the door is open right or is that another switch?
Could explain why the memory seats don't move when I open the door.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (ericthebikeman)

Quote, originally posted by ericthebikeman »
I unlock using the remote then the door relocks after ~30 seconds unless I put the key in the ignition. Is this normal or a problem with the module? The interior lights do come on when I open the door so it should know the door is open right or is that another switch?
Could explain why the memory seats don't move when I open the door.

I'd say your problem is definitely the module. I'm not sure why your lights come on, but the other symptoms suggest that the door doesn't recognize it's open. I had the same problem with the door relocking unless I put the key in the ignition. I don't have memory seats, but it makes sense that they'd only move when it detects the door has been opened.
The problems with the locks are way too common for your problems to be caused by something else. I'd be willing to bet that doing the fix described above would fix your problems.
Gary

·
Registered
440 Posts

Good to know. Also the driver door is supposed to stay unlocked when the door is open and you press lock right? I figured it was to prevent myself from locking the keys in the car.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

awesome write up. i was gonna fix this on my car over a year ago but never got around to it. tired of getting in the car and having the alarm going off with the door wide open

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (ericthebikeman)

Quote, originally posted by ericthebikeman »
Good to know. Also the driver door is supposed to stay unlocked when the door is open and you press lock right? I figured it was to prevent myself from locking the keys in the car.

That is exactly right.

Gary

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

my microswitch actually broke so this is a no go for me. Off to the electronics store for a similar switch

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (thatTDIguy)

FYI, the three microswitches in the electronics portion of the door lock module are Cherry DK Series - Subminiature Sealed micros. This also the same micro that's used in the trunk lock assembly, except that the locating posts on the side of the switch are not present and a custom actuator arm is used.
The fourth microswitch, the one that's in the mechanical portion of the door lock module is a Burgess micro. I'm not sure what model it is though.
I should probably add this info to the original post.

Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 7:21 AM 8-20-2004

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

My GF's car had this problem and her car is an 02. She had the early 02 model. Her driver's side door would not lock at times and would not lock when going over 15 mph. It did suck having to walk back to the car to make sure it was locked, and if it wasn't, having to lock it manually.
Since her car is an 02, it was replaced under warranty which is good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (1point8TRay)

I was just at the dealer picking up a MAF sensor and a guy came in with the exact same lock problem. I tried to tell him what the problem probably was, but he just ignored me like I wasn't even there.
My moment of satisfaction was when the parts guy quoted him $350 to look at it. It was obvious this wasn't the first time he was there for the same issue. The guy got all bent out of shape and stormed out. Screw 'em...it's people like this that deserve to get reamed by the dealer.
On another note, I got the MAF and the parts guy questioned what I wanted it for. He said it's very rare for someone to ask for that part over the counter. He was convinced I was from a garage somewhere. Funny.

--
Mike

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

My moment of satisfaction was when the parts guy quoted him $350 to look at it. It was obvious this wasn't the first time he was there for the same issue. The guy got all bent out of shape and stormed out. Screw 'em...it's people like this that deserve to get reamed by the dealer.

Haha. That's classic!

On another note, I got the MAF and the parts guy questioned what I wanted it for. He said it's very rare for someone to ask for that part over the counter. He was convinced I was from a garage somewhere. Funny.

I'm sure their heads spin when someone walks in who knows more about their products than they do. And I'm sure it happens a lot!

Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 8:04 PM 8-16-2004

21 - 40 of 1076 Posts