VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 1076 Posts

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (VgRt6)

Info about the failure of my passenger's side door lock module has been added to the original post.

Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 7:40 AM 8-20-2004

·
Registered
6,376 Posts

WOW!!!
I can't wait to take apart my door module to check this out in my '99.5 Golf cause I'm having the same problem. Only thing is that when I open my door and if I don't stick the key in the ignition soon enough and turn the power on, my doors wil relock themselves and/or alarm will go off. Man that's embarassing in a parking lot! People think I'm trying to steal the car, but it's my own car!
I'll try this in the next few weeks, but time to bookmark this page and save it on my computer!!!

You're the man!!!! MUCH appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (Der Kommissar)

Quote, originally posted by Der Kommissar »
Awesome write up-it seems that the 99.5 cars have a lot of problems with this.

Yeah - the front and rear driver side locks on my 99.5 are totally wacked. I gotta do this soon....
Thanks for the writeup!

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Re: (pork)

I wonder what percentage of the early MKIV cars have this problem? It's got to be ridiculously high and I wouldn't be surprised if it was 80-90% (or more)!

Gary

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: (VgRt6)

The locks on my g/f's car have never been quite right and we've always had to go back and double check that the driver's side door locked properly. This weekend I had the alarm go off on me in front of AutoZone no less than 5 times before I could get it to lock properly...

I hate living in an apartment! I would have fixed this a while ago if I had a decent place to tear the car door apart.

It would be nice when people fix this, that they snap a picture of the cracked solder joints. Maybe enough of these pictures can spur VW to admit a manufacturing defect and fix it for free http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .
--
Mike

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Re: (mschaff)

Quote, originally posted by mschaff »
The locks on my g/f's car have never been quite right and we've always had to go back and double check that the driver's side door locked properly. This weekend I had the alarm go off on me in front of AutoZone no less than 5 times before I could get it to lock properly...

If I had a dollar for every time the alarm went off because of the door locks ...

I hate living in an apartment! I would have fixed this a while ago if I had a decent place to tear the car door apart.

Me too. I finally said screw it and did the whole thing in the apartment lot. For what I pay in rent, I should have my own garage and two bikini-clad helpers.
Luckily, they've never said anything to me about me working on the car.

It would be nice when people fix this, that they snap a picture of the cracked solder joints. Maybe enough of these pictures can spur VW to admit a manufacturing defect and fix it for free http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .
--
Mike

Exactly. That's another reason I started this thread. I was hoping the fix would catch on and the thread would become huge. Ironically, I work for a company that does failure analyses, usually for big accidents and disasters, but we also do smaller liability/litigation stuff like the locks. I'd be glad to write a failure analysis report on company letterhead to send to VWOA - hopefully that and the PhD after my name would get this noticed. I'll need more than the three examples I have so far though.
If you do this fix, please send me pics to include in the report !!!
BTW, I'm repairing a lock module for a local Vortexer tomorrow. I'll definitely be taking pics for the file.
Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 11:13 AM 8-23-2004

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: (VgRt6)

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
...hopefully that and the PhD after my name would get this noticed.

I'm glad to see that a Ph.D. is good for something.
(I'm starting my fifth year of grad school
)
--
Mike

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Re: (mschaff)

I'm glad to see that a Ph.D. is good for something.
(I'm starting my fifth year of grad school
)
--
Mike

Not as much as it used to though.
And don't get me started about being in school for a long time. I'll let you know when you get close to my record!

Gary

·
Registered
68 Posts

My problem is that most times when I hit unlock the doors unlock but then lock again right away. It takes 2 or 3 tries before they stay unlocked. Anyone else have this or know how to fix it? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (frostback)

Sounds like a problem with the module. I'm not sure what the specific cause, but my guess would be the broken solder joints making intermittent contact as the door unlocks (and then locks again).
Gary

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

Great write up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

In a wierd way, I'm dissapointed that my 02.5 doesn't have this problem. I'm always happy when I get to break out my soldering iron

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (DubberNix)

Quote, originally posted by DubberNix »
Great write up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

In a wierd way, I'm dissapointed that my 02.5 doesn't have this problem. I'm always happy when I get to break out my soldering iron

Haha. I kind of feel the same way now that both of mine are fixed. Maybe that's why I've been fixing modules from other people's cars.

Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 7:31 PM 8-26-2004

·
Registered
7,346 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
It seems like there's problem with some '00 and '01 cars as well.

My '01 had the bad microswitch in the mechanical portion problem (door didn't know when it was open), and I did notice that since I got it replaced (under warranty) that lock is much quieter than the other 3. I also noticed that the locks on my father's 2004 Jetta are much quieter than those on my '01.
I owned a couple of mid-eighties Volvo wagons and frequented http://www.brickboard.com. That site has a wonderful comprehensive FAQ full of information just like in this post (old Volvos have plenty of places where solder cracks, such as in the fuel pump relay and overdrive relay). Over many years, knowledgeable people who cared enough to document their experiences made that site into just about the only site you need to keep an old Volvo running. Hopefully with time & with the help of people like Gary, this site will become the same for MkIV VWs. Many
to you!

Modified by jddaigle at 4:14 PM 8-26-2004

·
Registered
316 Posts

So, I still haven't tried the fix yet (no free time), but after reading your update, I had a couple questions:
1. If it turns out to be a bad microswitch, how would one test this?
2. Will VW sell you just the switch or try to sell you the entire lock module assembly? How about a part number?
I just don't want to rip the door apart only to have to put it back together to drive to VW.
Thanks.
--
Mike

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Great thread, bump, to get this in my tracked threads to print this out later http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (mschaff)

So, I still haven't tried the fix yet (no free time), but after reading your update, I had a couple questions:
1. If it turns out to be a bad microswitch, how would one test this?
2. Will VW sell you just the switch or try to sell you the entire lock module assembly? How about a part number?
I just don't want to rip the door apart only to have to put it back together to drive to VW.
Thanks.
--
Mike

1. More than likely it's the broken solder contacts. In this case, all you have to do is resolder the contacts and all will be good. If it's one of the switches that failed, then you'll need to replace the switch. To test the switch, you'll need a digital multimeter (DMM). Set the meter to continuity or resistance. With the plunger on the switch in it's normal (not depressed) state, the circuit inside the switch should be open (the continuity alarm will NOT sound and/or the resistance should be infinite. When the plunger is in it's activated/depressed state, the circuit should be closed - the continuity alarm WILL sound and/or the resistance should be essentially zero. (I'm pretty sure the switches are normally open, so they should behave as described above. Howeve, if the switches are normally closed, then they would be have opposite to the above, undepressed would be a closed circuit and depressed would be an open circuit).
2. VW will not sell the switches separately since they don't stock them for repairs. They will only be able to sell you a whole new module. I've tracked down the part numbers for the 3 smaller switches in the electronic portion of the module. They are Cherry DK Series switches - I have the part numbers at work. You should be able to order one off the internet for a couple of bucks. A local store may also stock them or be able to get one as well. When you get the new one, you would need to simply unsolder the three leads on the old switch and resolder them on the new switch. The switch actually has two locator posts to make installation virtually fool-proof.
The 4th switch, the bigger one in the mechanical portion of the switch is made by Burgess. I have yet to find the part number for this one. The module failure I described in my most recent update in the original post was actually due to this switch failing. Since I don't have a part# or source for this switch yet, the Vortexer I helped is just going to buy a new module. Once I find the info, this will be able to be repaired as well.

Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 6:54 PM 8-29-2004

41 - 60 of 1076 Posts