VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1061 - 1077 of 1077 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parasitic Drain

Hi guys, I'm new to the thread but a long time VW owner. I had an 02 jetta back in 2010 with (surprisingly) no issues, and my brother has an 05 GTI with only drivers door bad lock.

my problem is as follows: Ever since i bought my 2004 1.8T GLI about a month ago (9/2016) it's had weird door lock issues, and I think these issues may be contributing to my constant parasitic drain. I will wake up nearly every morning to find my car dead, and it will not run without a jump. I thought at first, it was the battery, then the starter, then the ignition switch blah blah blah. However, recently, I just bought a brand new battery, and am counting the days that my car has started. I have weird lock procedures and I think they may be contributing to the issue.

I'll be driving, and randomly, the car will unlock, the dome light will come on, (no doors open on the dash indicator), and then the car will immediately relock it self. It's very similar to the exact same procedure that happens whenever you pull your key out of the ignition. All doors unlock, and dome light comes on. Also, intermittently, my car wont unlock all doors with they key fob, just drivers side. Also, only the back drivers door, when opened, initiates the dome light and a door open indicator. All other doors dont do this.

All of these problems would not bother me if I could just start my car in the morning!!!! I'm not certain that this is the root cause, but it seems to be the only electrical problem I can find, and I simply cannot afford taking it to the dealership. Any advice or a simple fix would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Different number on mine, I don't think it's the P/N either. They configure the P/N for these things depending on what accessories they add on like different levers, internal configuration (SPST, SPDT etc.), solder pins or wires etc. etc. The same housing molding would be used on many P/Ns.

In any case, I've swapped in a different switch, very similar to the OEM one but with an operator to protect the plunger from wear, in case anyone is interested you can see my write-up at http://www.customobsessions.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45458

We won't know for a while how long it'll last because it's not on the car yet, maybe tomorrow. Even the OEM one lasts a few years before failing so it'll be a while before knowing if this is any better but I can't help but think it'll be an improvement over just replacing the switch with something that's not built any different.

Anyhow, have fun with it, hopefully it'll last longer than VW's design :rolleyes:

D :cool:

Probably time to report back on the mod. It's been more than 4 years and the OMRON switch with a lever is still working fine.

D :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

Some great info on this thread, but I am yet to find a solution to the below problem: :banghead:

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this issue I now have on my Golf GTI 1.8t ('W' 2000), UK based.

As per title, the remote (spare too) is now not locking the car, no noise or anything is happening when the lock button is pressed, but the unlock button works on both fobs.

I have searched a lot of forums etc and still having mixed ideas as to what this may be.

The door modules have never worked right (common door catch issue, interior lights not working, no beep when lights left on etc) but they do still lock via the internal button and the door using key.

I am having to lock using the key in the door, works but not ideal!

Any info will be much appreciated!

Cheers! :popcorn::beer:
Having the same issue with the door lock actuator? not moving down when locking via remote or interior switch. It moves up when unlocking but will not go down in lock position unless I use the key in the door to manually lock. I installed a new door lock module as shown in the photo but I noticed the door lock will still not move down when locking the door. Any particular way to install this other than inserting into the hole and tucking behind the plastic tab?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I also had to change door locking unit and now I can't get the lock cylinder attached, it just stays loose when i tighten the bolt on door. I guess I'll need to remove the door panel again and try to find that piece. When I changed the door lock module I noticed that there was this kind of plastic piece lying in the bottom of the door. Could this be related to door lock cylinder somehow or do you have any idea where this is from? Everything seems to be working normally, remote locking and opening doors, manual opening and locking doors, door light, electric windows..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can see the pictures. Please I need your help to see them.

Hi to everybody,
I have found this post really interesting because I am having problems with my vw golf mk4 golf front door lock module.
Unfortunately I can con see the pictures attached. I supose it is because the post is old.
Is there any way to see those pictures. It would be great for me to repair the lock module.
Hope you will be able to help me . Thanks in advance.

MKIV DOOR LOCKS EXPLAINED !!! ...
Since so many people with '99.5-'01 MKIV cars seem to be having trouble with their door locks not working properly (also prevalent in B5 Passats), I thought I'd put together a quick explanation about how the locks work in our cars and why there's been so many problems. People with the newer and quieter door lock mechanisms should not have the problems described in this thread - the problem appears to be fixed in these modules.
If your door locks behave like their from another planet (e.g., a door doesn't lock when it's supposed to, the car doesn't recognize a door's been opened, a door automatically relocks itself even when it's open and sets the alarm off ... the list goes on and on ...), then you know exactly how frustrating this problem is. Personally, I'm sick of having to double-check that my driver's door has actually locked - that's why I did a little investigating about what's going on.
Unlike door locks in older cars which are relatively simple mechanical devices along with a separate plunger switch to determine if a door is open or closed (kind of like on your fridge), the door locks in recent-model VWs are complicated electro-mechanical devices with everything (latch, microswitches) in one relatively compact unit or 'module'.
Here are some pics which should help explain what I'm talking about.
The picture below shows the rear edge of one of the doors on my 99.5 Jetta. The only part of the door locks that is visible is the latch mechanism that hooks onto the u-latch on the b-pillar.

Unfortunately for us, this means that VW put the entire door lock mechanism INSIDE the door. To do any kind of work on it, you need to take the inner door panel off and then remove the window regulator carrier panel. The door lock module is attached to the inside of the carrier panel and is also secured to the edge of the door (by the two 8mm triple square bolts in the picture above). If you remove the carrier panel and door lock module from the door, you'll see the following. The door lock module is indicated by the red arrow.

The two images below show the front and rear sides of the module after it's been disconnected from the carrier panel. The red arrows point to the cable that connects to the interior latch used to open the door, the blue arrows point to the edge of the module that's attached to the rear edge of the door and the green arrow points to the cable that connects to the exterior door handle.

The picture below shows the lock module separated into its two major parts, the electronics portion (circuit board, microswitches, etc) indicated by the blue arrow and the mechanical portion (latch mechanism, cable mechanisms, etc) indicated by the red arrow.

By taking the electronics portion of the lock module apart, it becomes clear that the module uses no less than FOUR microswitches to keep track of the state and operation of the door. Two microswitches (red and blue arrows) are used to detect if the key is being turned in the driver's handle to lock/unlock the doors and open/close the windows and sunroof. A third microswitch (yellow arrow) is used to monitor the state of the locking mechanism, i.e., whether the door is locked or unlocked.

The fourth microswitch is actually in the mechanical portion of the lock module (red arrow in picture below) and is connected to the electronics portion by the red and blue wires. This microswitch detects whether the door is open or closed by monitoring the position of the latch mechanism.

WHY YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR DOOR LOCKS !!!
... or in other words, why do the locks behave like some demon child conjured up by VW engineers one night after a few too many
s at OktoberFest?
It has been speculated for a while now by myself and a few others that the problems with the door lock module was a sticky microswitch - this would explain the sometimes intermittent nature of the problems and also would explain why a good, hard whack to the edge of the door near the lock module would temporarily solve them. After reading the following DIY REPAIR by TaligentX, it's clear now that the microswitches in the lock module are perfectly fine. Rather, the problems are due to poor soldering of the contacts between the pins on the locks module's electrical harness connector and the printed circuit board in the lock module.
The region of interest is circled in red in the picture below.

The reason for the problems with the lock modules is clear in the close-up image of this region below. For some reason (bad solder choice, not enough solder, too much physical movement ... who knows???), the solder joints that connect the leads in the harness to the printed circuits for the microswitches tend to crack over time, resulting in either an intermittent or no connection between the two. I found two contacts cracked - pin#3 (blue arrow) and pin#7 (red arrow). Based on the few cases I've heard about where the module was taken apart and solder joints were cracked, it appears that the joints for pins#3, 5 and 7 are the problematic ones.

THE SOLUTION !!!
The solution to the problem is actually very simple. Using a low-wattage soldering iron and some solder, all you need to do is remelt the solder joint (to reestablish the connection) and add a small amount of solder (to beef up the connection).
I did this on my Jetta today and the module now works perfectly!!! If only I had know about this three years ago when the lock module started acting up. To make sure that the problem shouldn't happen again, I not only resoldered the joints for pins#3 and 7, but also for pin#5 ... just in case!
If you want to do this on your car, you can use the following DIY to remove the door lock module from your car door ...
HOW TO REMOVE YOUR DOOR LOCK MODULE
As I write this, vasillalov is putting together a DIY for disassembling the lock module and resoldering the damaged contacts. I'll post the link here when it's done.
You can also use the TaligentX DIY to repair the lock module - the door panel removal portion is Passat-specific, so use my MKIV DIY instead.
Finally, here's a case of
for TaligentX. We all owe him big time for figuring this out.

UPDATE: (8-20-04)
I fixed my front passenger's door lock module this weekend and found exactly the same thing wrong - pins#4 (blue) and 8 (red) were also cracked. Ironically, this lock module was actually working recently, but gave me problems for over a year a while back.

Between my two modules and the one in TaligentX's DIY, the failures have all occurred on the same two pins (3 and/or 7 on driver's side and 4 and/or 8 on passenger's side). Even though this is only three cases, I'd bet that most/all of the other failures out there are for exactly the same reason. I'd say there appears to be enough of a reason for VW to issue an extended warranty on these parts.

UPDATE: (8-26-04)
I met up with a local Vortexer (melmandc) on 8-24-04 to fix his door lock module. Upon taking it apart, we found that the solder contacts that failed in my and other modules were perfectly fine. What failed instead was the microswitch in the mechanical portion of the module that detects if the door is open. It's the one marked by the read arrow below.

I should have figured this out before removing and opening up the module since his symptoms were slightly different than most. On his car, if you unlocked the driver's door, opened it up and didn't put the key in the ignition or open another door, the driver's door would automatically relock. This is the classic situation that most people experience - the car doesn't recognize that the door has been opened. The thing that makes his situation different is that the lock module WILL lock and unlock whether the door is open or closed, unlike most problems where the lock module WILL NOT lock whether the door is open or closed.

UPDATE: (11-4-04)
I should have posted this info a while ago, but better late than never! The Cherry part numbers for the three small microswitches in the electonic portion of the lock module in the picture below are as follows (info taken from HERE or HERE:
DK-1-G-UL-A0 (red and yellow arrows)
DK-1-G-TR-A0 (blue arrow)
I still haven't found the Burgess part number for the fourth microswitch in the mechanical portion of the lock module. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

UPDATE: (7-30-05)
A fellow Vortexer alerted me to this thread over at TDIClub.com about a cheap fix for failures of the 4th microswitch (the one in the mechanical portion of the module). I haen't done the fix myself, but it looks promising.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=730184

UPDATE: (6-13-09)
A friend (Sebich1) was having similar DLM problems to mine, so we opened up his DLM today. Guess what we found. That's right, cracked solder joints, as expected.

Modified by VgRt6 at 9:31 PM 6-13-2009

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hi to everybody,
I have found this post really interesting because I am having problems with my vw golf mk4 golf front door lock module.
Unfortunately I can con see the pictures attached. I supose it is because the post is old.
Is there any way to see those pictures. It would be great for me to repair the lock module.
Hope you will be able to help me . Thanks in advance.
I noticed the same. Check YouTube. There's some good videos on this there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
endless thanks - 2002 jetta iv wanton door locks

My 02 has now begun to behave like many here - Countless thanks to those that have researched and completed and posted the solutions to these mind bending issues - being safety related you would think dept of highway safety would become involved and get vw to resolve this build design fault . I have 3 doors lock when exceeding the standard 25 mph - the drivers door occasionally locks , after slowing below 25 mph and while making right hand turns . 92k miles tdi , would suspect vibrations have now gotten to the module switches or associated connectors .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a problem, and I was wondering if you could help me. I have a Tiguan 2013, and I want it to activate the mirror down in reverse function. For this, I have bought a motor for mirror and a new module that supports this function. Only thing is that the module is from a right hand vehicle from left door. I have a left hand vehicle, and I need this module for right door. The code of the module is the same with what I need: 5N0959702G. I have installed it, but all the functions are "reversed". The window up and down, the mirror movements, even the back open doors alarm from the display are reversed. There is a way to code this module for a left handed vehicle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the same problem with my central locking system. Is there somewhere this tutorial with pictures or some video tutorial for newbies on how to actually do it from a to z, tools, and materials needed! thank you!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I used this guide to replace my 2 front door lock actuators. I wouldn't bother with repairing the micro-switches, and just replace the entire actuator with a genuine OEM VW unit, not an aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I used this guide to replace my 2 front door lock actuators. I wouldn't bother with repairing the micro-switches, and just replace the entire actuator with a genuine OEM VW unit, not an aftermarket.

This.

I have been living with a bad module for over a year, I have to bang the door to get it open.

When I was repairing the window (made a clunk when going down) I removed the door lock module and ended up dropping it 😅😅 Suprisingly it worked normally for a week, then went back to not unlocking at random times.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I found mine on Amazon. Might be harder in the UK, but worth a shot.

Try Googling these part numbers, and see what you can find in your neck of the woods.

Left Front: 3B1837015AS
Right Front: 3B1837016CF
Rear Left: 3B4839015AM
Rear Right: 3B4839016AM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :( (gehr)

No need to thank me, I'm just passing on the info.
TaligentX deserves your thanks. And save some for vasillalov - he was kind enough to agree to put the DIY together.
Gary
Hi. We have a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon. Door open light on dash, sometimes door won’t open. Do you think the fix discussed in this thread applies to our 02 Jetta?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everybody.I have a problem about my locking mechanism and i want some help from you.
-I had some problems about the switches on the mechanical side of the mechanism on my two front doors.So i got two switches and replaced them.I did not open electrtonic modules and i just cut the wires and wired new switches.Everything works perfectly except one thing.
-On my driver's door, when i try to lock the doors by the button inside or by remote control, the driver door locks and unlocks again.the tip of the mechanism on the door goes down and goes up again.I try a few times then finally it locks as it should be.
-I tried to use both remote and the button on the driver's door but i face the same problem.When i try to lock the door by hand by pushing the tip of the mechanism, or by putting the key on the door, it works without any issues.No problems at all.But by the button or the remote, it locks and unlocks again.And the problems occurs only for the driver door.So where should i start to check to fix that?

Thank you.

1061 - 1077 of 1077 Posts