VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've only had my Jetta for about a month, so I am still reading lots up on it. I might autox it / might not. Not sure yet as I'm still debating, but I certainly want it to be fun around any corner. I have a 93 RX-7 I used to autocross (will be taken apart in the garage), so I'm no stranger to being on the track, but I do have some questions about the Jetta.

Being a fwd, its obvious instinct is to want to try to understeer. I have been reading the usual thing to do on these bodies to try to induce a bit of oversteer is leave the front sway bar alone, and get a thicker rear. Thickness I'm not sure yet.

Tires I've been reading I can go with 17x8s with 245s all the way around. I've been thinking about something that weighs around 15lbs.

I have the 2.0 with the 5sp. I'm not even worried about power as this is mostly a dd, but I definitely like to enjoy my twisties anywhere I can find them. Stock power is fine with me as I'm the type to slowly keeping hacking away at a curve until I discover the tire's breaking point, then I'll drive just under that. Although oversteer is always to correct from. ;)

So my questions are:
1) Running 245/40 17s all the way around will not rub with a 1.5-2" drop (still researching spring rates for this car). Does this sound about right?
2) If I get a thicker rear sway bar to induce oversteer, at what point does a FWD car start to oversteer again? What I am wondering about is if running 225s up front and 245s in the back makes any sense to help the rear stick
3) Relocating with a drycell in the trunk: Any significant difference with weight distribution?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
813 Posts
2) If I get a thicker rear sway bar to induce oversteer, at what point does a FWD car start to oversteer again? What I am wondering about is if running 225s up front and 245s in the back makes any sense to help the rear stick
If your goal is to increase your car's rotation, I would stick with a square setup, as staggered tires won't help with your goal at all. Plus, you'd lose the ability to rotate front to rear. You can fine tune front/rear grip with tire pressures.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
for autocross, a square setup as wide as possible is usually your best bet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When I autocrossed a MK4, even the largest bar I could find, on it's stiffest setting, did not get the car to rotate really. It did take care of the majority of the understeer though. On my MK6, large rear bar on full stiff is perfect. I'd say, don't bother with tires or springs at the moment. Put the rear bar on, play with tire pressures, and I'm sure that'll get you pretty far.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I had a mk4, I had no problem getting it to rotate. Stock. Factory GTI. There can be plenty of lift throttle oversteer once you learn how to induce it. Not exactly safe off the parking lot though.

Stick with what everybody else has said so far. Square tires, big bar. Lowering doesn't help, takes the car out of the happy part of the camber curve. You can counteract that some with TT or aftermarket spindles. 245s are very big, you'll probably need to be careful with offsets in the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts