VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the spider gear on my 337 (20,000miles) shatter and blow several holes in my tranny case...VW is saying that they will not warrante the car and sighting the reason as "driver abuse". I know how my car gets driven and it has never been raced or dragged. I am going higher up through VW and I am interested to see if anyone else has had this type of problem with any of the MKIV manual trannys. Hopefully others have and we may have a case to argue. There is no reason for a very lightly modded 20,000 mile car to blow through a tranny in this fashion. if you have any input please post...if your going to tell me what i should have done prior to bringing it in to the dealer, or just bashing please don't bother to post...i need advice and help, not criticism. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (blade12r)

Find out exactly why the claim it was caused by the user...
Get a lawyer....
@20k only one of two things could possibly be wrong...either you thrash your car...which you say you don't....or the tranny had some fault in it....you say one thing the dealer says the other....so...if the dealer can't justify it some other way a laywer will be a big help...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (JettaComingSoon)

it would also help us to know what you mean by "lightly modded" is?
it's clear you are within warranty.......so something isn't right with this picture.

·
Registered
424 Posts

I just had this problem last month. The spider gears blew on my 01 Jetta VR6, with 35,000 miles, while crusing home from Portland. I took it to the VW dealer in Twin Falls, about 1.5 hours from my home, and they covered it under warrenty. I am modified and they had no concerns about that at all, they just throughly looked over my car and said it "looked" like I had never abused it, which I don't. Neverless, they replaced it with no questions or problems.
On a side note, the tech told me that this was the seventh tranny he had to replace because of this problem and that the problem with the spider gears blowing was because this tranny is for the beetle and could not handle the power or weight of the VR6's.
Damn VW

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,112 Posts

I looked at some other threads you created on this subject, and it appears that you have added a boost controller. Since this directly affects the power output of your engine, this tips the scales toward VW in any sort of "official" action regarding this problem (e.g. lawsuit, arbitration).
In theory, they have to "prove" that the modification resulted in the failure, but if they say "Well, the transmission is rated for torque X and the boost controller results in torque Y that exceeds X", they will probably win any legal contest. In civil situations like this, the legal burden of proof is simply "preponderance of the evidence" -- in other words who has the better case.
That being said, you could try putting on your best diplomatic hat: Explain that you don't abuse the car, produce service records to demonstrate you have been serious about taking care of it, etc. Also, I had a transmission warranty situation (no abuse claimed) with my 00 Jetta 2.0 in which one dealer basically tried to fix it (replaced some hubs and synchros), failed, and then told me they wouldn't work on it any more. Another dealer took a totally different approach and I ended up getting a new tranny. So, you might try a different dealer.
Again, given the situation I don't think any form of coercion or strong-arming is likely to be productive, so reserve this as a last resort. Try all the available diplomatic channels, different dealer if possible, and then maybe consider threatening legal action (e.g. a letter to the dealer from an attorney). Even if they know they will ultimately prevail, there is some motivation to settle as defending against the legal action also costs money. It will also cost you money too, so factor this in.

Modified by rsbaker at 9:27 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (rsbaker)

welcome to the club. At least I had a regular 02J tranny which are fairly cheap to find ($500-900). The 02M is expensive. Mine went at 40K miles and I had light mods too (mine was a VR6 with two mods, stock cams and exhaust so you know it wasn't the extra power). The best they offered to do is tear it down at my expense and let the local rep inspect it again...no thanks. Going higher up does absolutely nothing. A lawyer would work but for me it was cheaper and quicker to replace it myself.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (02GTI-VR6)

sorry that this was not added in my first posts, but here are my mods...they sited in the report that they were not covering it because of driver abuse, but could not provide me any proof or evidence of this other than the broken gear. Also VR6DUB, what mods were you running, tranny code, and what dealership did you take the car too? Also any opinions on possibly converting the car to a 5 speed...is this possible, and what tranny code will work...anyway here are my mods...and thanx for all the input guys...
I have a split second boost controller @11-12 psi, turbo back exhaust, greddy type s BOV, AEM intake...that's it...nothing too drastic but the boost controller is what they looked at most, just a note for the rest of you guys, there was no warning when the tranny went...it just all of sudden broke...there were no signs or noises prior to the tranny breaking and i was only going about 30mph.

·
Registered
14,374 Posts

weak, im on my 3rd tranny. 1st tranny got covered next 2 out of my pocket. When they gave me a brand new tranny 1000 MILES LATER with easy DRIVING it goes out WTF i go back and they said i raced it im like NO. Declined all my warrenty's bought a used one for 900 bucks and im still on it had 20k miles on it and put 20k more and its still good. HOW can a brand new tranny on STOCk power go out with babied driving to break it in. Hmmmm I like the engines but not the tranny's. They said my suspension and rims caused it to go out hHAHAHAHAH whatever NEVER going back to any dealer i have 58k miles and only went to the dealer to fix the tranny and thats it. VWVORTEX is my dealer http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,251 Posts
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (02GTI-VR6)

Having been able to look inside Stan (02GTI-VR6) 2 failed trannys that he paid to hav replaced on his own and having been able talk with a number of people I would have to lean slightly towards Stan's mods aiding in the distruction of his trannys. Both of his ECH(not certain its been a while but it was the 2002 5spd Vr6 tranny code)trannys suffered from a 1st gear that sheared a few teath. Now his mods are big 19" wheels which look dam good on his car
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and then having a little bit more power from a chip and combine this with VW not having a super strong gear set and you have the ingredents for disaster. Which is probably the reason why VW has since been mating the 02M to all VR6 cars.
Now I do have some experiance in having spider gears making holes in the tranny:

but mine was from abuse (track 14.47 was the time I ran before gernading and roughly 200-220whp in a G60 Corrado
)
But I have heard of the diffs failing under a number of circumstances but mainly from power and fun/abuse. But I have heard of a few nonabuse circumstances. Definatly sucks good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
424 Posts

My mods are FK coilovers, Cat-back exhaust, 18 wheels, Full Rieger Bodykit, and that's it. I have a 2001 Jetta VR6 which I think is the 02J tranny
and Con Paulos in Twin Falls, Idaho replaced my tranny with ZERO problems or questions. These tranmissions are garbage because of the Diff, no questions about it. The only way to save one's a$$ is to purchase a LSD and replace the factory unit.
If anybody on this board or at VW wants to challenge me on this one, then how about you sit your butt on the side of the highway at 2pm and 250 miles from home for 9 hours with nothing to eat or drink since you woke up at 3am that morning, because the freaking diff decided to gernade with only 35,000 miles. I know for a fact I do not abuse my car because it's the only thing I have to drive and I can't afford to foolishly break something because it's going to cost me out the a$$ to fix it. At times I do wish I had kept my Integra or had bought the SRT-4 instead.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

that sucks

·
Registered
8,430 Posts

to the original poster: since you're in gainesville, did you take the car to All Pro Imports by any chance? I think the reason why he's going straight to VW management is b/c All Pro Imports is (i think) one of the few VW dealers in N. Florida so he can't just "take it to another dealer" for repairs.
But I do agree w/ others here: try diplomacy first before you start knocking heads off. Good luck man

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (rel1001)

yes it did go to all pro...and they are THE only dealer anywhere near me...the next closest is in Orlando a 2 hr tow from where my car sits now.
Does anyone know if a 5-speed from a 2000 1.8t will fit the 337...i know it's not a six, but the trans already has an LSD race clutch and Lt. Fly wheel... and the price is right.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

bump http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,251 Posts

Quote, originally posted by blade12r »

Does anyone know if a 5-speed from a 2000 1.8t will fit the 337...i know it's not a six, but the trans already has an LSD race clutch and Lt. Fly wheel... and the price is right.

As I think I said in the transmission forum:
Quote, originally posted by G60ING »
If it is crapped out and you don't get it covered under warrenty you could always just install a complete 5speed setup. I here it is preferred by the people racing their 20AE and 337s

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (G60ING)

i'm taking that as a yes on the O2J... I wasn't sure if they were all compatible...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (G60ING)

Quote, originally posted by G60ING »
Having been able to look inside Stan (02GTI-VR6) 2 failed trannys that he paid to hav replaced on his own and having been able talk with a number of people I would have to lean slightly towards Stan's mods aiding in the distruction of his trannys. Both of his ECH(not certain its been a while but it was the 2002 5spd Vr6 tranny code)trannys suffered from a 1st gear that sheared a few teath. Now his mods are big 19" wheels which look dam good on his car
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and then having a little bit more power from a chip and combine this with VW not having a super strong gear set and you have the ingredents for disaster. Which is probably the reason why VW has since been mating the 02M to all VR6 cars.
But I have heard of the diffs failing under a number of circumstances but mainly from power and fun/abuse. But I have heard of a few nonabuse circumstances. Definatly sucks good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

now that i think about it, 19's may affect trannies. sure the diff should be able to handle it, but because 19's are so much heavier, and heavier in a different way (aka more radius, more weight further out) the moment of inertia increases thereby increasing the strain on the drivetrain...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: MKIV Major tranny problems...VW will not cover repairs... (r03)

bump http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts