VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per iThread's professional recommendation, I will attempt to run a MKV thread through this MKIV forum by "comparing and contrasting" the MKIV to the MKV.
As a starting point, the MKIV was not marketed very aggressively when it was released in the US. On the contrary, VWofA isn't missing a beat when it comes to beating the American market's collective head about the MKV's.
To wit, here is a teaser e-mail I just received:

<WASP Voice>Talk amongst yourselves!</WASP Voice>

Modified by The408R32 at 3:20 PM 2-13-2007

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (The408R32)

Yeah. I got this e-mail too. If you click on the link to the new R32 website, you can pre-order yours now. I think I'll just hold on to my current R32...

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (IGGY)

And if you send in the info to pre-order one, some random dealer in
your area will be notified, and they'll call you up and try to
sell you a GTI. Ok, maybe that's not happening to everyone, but it
apparently has happened to several.
The US-spec MkV has same power as US-spec MkIV (250hp)
MkV is 300lbs heavier.
MkV is 12 seconds slower around the Nurburgring than the EU-spec MkIV (which is less powerful than US-spec MkIV).
MkV has DSG only
MkV has Gen 2 Haldex to the MkIV's Gen1. Reportedly pretty comparable to Gen 1 + HPP.
MkV is like 2-3 inches taller, and looks it.
MkIV has deep dark black grills up front
MkV has sun catching black horizontal slats in the lower grills and a shiny center grill/bumper, similar to the MkV Jetta. (brushed al instead of chrome, but similar first impression)
MkIV has totally R32 specific interior with custom seats, and R logos throughout (wheel, pedal covers, door sills, front and rear seats).
MkV pretty much has GTI interior.
MkV has exciting new pedestrian friendly higher hood, with matching
higher dash, higher window lines.. etc..
MkV has $1800 NAV option
MkV base price is $1000 more than MkIV was, and dealers are already busy price gouging (they learned from their mistake with the MkIV)
MkIV has widely spaced exhaust tips.
MkV has center exhaust tips, positioned about where your ankles are when you open the hatch.
The MkV is more grown-up.
The MkIV makes people of every age feel like a kid.
The list goes on and on..
Subjectively:
I disliked the MkIV body style until the 25th anni GTI came out (in Germany)
and only then warmed to it a little, until the R32 came along, and then
they got it just right.
I'm generally neutral about the MkV Golf/Rabbit, and I like the
GTI's looks (borrowed a lot of styling cues from the MkIV R32),
but I really dislike the look of the MkV R32 a lot. I feel that it is
not the spiritual successor of the MkIV at all either in looks, performance
or feel.
ian

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
And if you send in the info to pre-order one, some random dealer in
your area will be notified, and they'll call you up and try to
sell you a GTI. Ok, maybe that's not happening to everyone, but it
apparently has happened to several.

Yeah, what in the world is up with that?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (jettin123)

Ian, have you driven the MKV R32?
just wondering
im sure when it is released we will see more heads up comparion (if their is a unmolested MKIV R32 anywhere)
mine has only been in my hands for two weeks and already has flapper and cai and oem hids

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (R32ManiaK)

If you want heads up driving comparisons, this obviously
isn't the place to ask since it's not here yet. Want driving
comparisons ask in the R32 forum over at the UK based tyresmoke.net
as they've got both. Till it gets here, all you're going see is
about 3 new threads like this one posted every week.
ian

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (R32ManiaK)

I sat in one while I was at the Autostadt in Germany last June. I really liked it other than the wood trim. The photos of the US spec doesn't do it for me. I'll have to say nither did the Mk-IV R32 release photos. When I saw the Mk-IV in person, it was a whole different story. Here are a few photos of the Euro spec Mk-V R32.

Enjoy!!!

Modified by vr6gtispeed at 8:36 PM 2-13-2007

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (vr6gtispeed)

I actually like the Euro wheels better than the US wheels

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (vr6fanatic)

Quote, originally posted by vr6fanatic »
I actually like the Euro wheels better than the US wheels

They're essentially the same wheel, 5 spoke star pattern that runs across with another offset 5 spoke star pattern that carries the lugs. They just took away the split-spoke version on the US model, making it 10 spoke instead of 20. Certainly easier to clean.
Oh, and the whole exposed vs. closed lugs thing.

Modified by Mike Solo at 10:46 PM 2-13-2007

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (Mike Solo)

As far as I'm concerned the euro MKV is a whole different animal.
Give me the euro Recaros, 4 doors, 6 spd manual, euro tail lights and then I'm interested.
Give me the GTI interior with DSG only in a 2 dr and I'll gladly pass.
After selling 5K MKIV R32's with a manual tranny, if you are going to target us as buyers again, you *might* just want to offer that to us. What makes VW think a bunch of stick shifters want DSG. I mean, sure some of us will give it a shot, but I bet majority still prefer to row their own.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (cmr)

it's stupid that the us mkv r32 seats don't have any harness holes. if i was to get an mkv r32 (which i won't for a number of reasons) the first thing i'd do would be to buy a set of euro seats to be able to use harnesses with an oem seat with airbags and heat.

G

·
Last time we got the good engine, now they're giving us the sh*t transmission.
You'd think they'd do their research, tuners don't want DSG.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: MKIV & MKV: Compare and Contrast (The408R32)

My 2 Centavos...

I do not particularly like the MKV body style. I nearly convinced myself I liked it back when I almost bought a GTI... NEARLY Instead I went for the MKIV knowing full well that it was a generation behind.
Specifically, I can't stand the rear end of the MKV. Also, I dislike the lines from head on. Why I don't like the MKV as much as the MKIV I do not know. Maybe it's because the MKIV came out during an impressionable period for me in my life as a VW owner. Maybe its the "Bauhaus" styling. I really don't know - but to me the MKIV R32 looks like a mean block of metal.

As far as pro's, that body that I hate so much is also much more ridged and less prone to flex and squeaks. It has little niceties like the headlight washers, stock HID's, the trip computer with more functions, I also like the dash cluster a bit more along with some of the metal trim pieces. The back seat is bigger. As some have said it may have a more updated version of the Haldex AWD. Also, the suspension is probably a bit more updated from a technical standpoint.

That said, the engine is essentially the same, it weighs quite a bit more. Plus it is not released with a 6sp.
I don't know, Just about everyone here could sell their MKIV and get into a MKV easy, but I just don't think it's worth it. I'll just wait another 3 years or so and see what the MKVI looks like - but it sure as hell better have 300hp by then.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.