VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a retailer selling Japanese power folding mirrors(stubbies). Gonna buy a set this weekend ($200.00). I'd like to hook em up to my key fob so that they fold in and out with the door locking & unlocking mechanism.:eek:
I spent the last 24 hours scouring Vortex, TDI forums, Passat World, UKMKIV's etc for all the threads on power folding mirrors. It's been exhausting, and I spent some time trying to decipher German diagrams....:banghead:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=61943

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObrrpBMT1A

http://www.carcajou.de/howto/spiegel.htm

There appears to be a few ways to accomplish this. One way is to source an Audi 361 power mirror relay(I'm buying one now off eBay for $30). Other ways include using mirrors from a B5 Passat GLX with power folding mirror option, or using Euro power folding mirrors....it gets confusing.
Any idea if there are any garages or individuals who you would recommend do the install? I'm not exactly skilled in electrical stuff, and I think this would take some know how to accomplish.

There are lots of people who have posted to YouTube with their success, but none of them have included a definitive parts list when using the Audi 361 Relay. I would really like to get this done on my MK4, as I park on a busy street every night (have had to replace 2 driver side mirrors since 2003).

Please let me know if you know anyone who might be able to help.

Thank you!!

Bocesco

Thanks to you all. If I can get this going I'll post an article in the DIY to let others know how to perform this mod.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Grats on doing your own research and getting this far. I will definitely be subscribing to this thread, because if I can 'build' my own set for around 250 bucks its a definite 'to-do' on my list :thumbup::thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
2009 A8L W12; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1982 Caddy 2.0T
8,330 Posts
This is awesome i am going the Passat B5 GLX route My mirrors should be coming in any day now and then i just need to source the switch, relay and wireing. It seems like we will both be doing this at about the same time i will keep you up to date with what i figure out on my end. :thumbup:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I promise to post a link to the webstore once i buy my mirrors this weekend. They have a few sets available for $199 and I know they'll go fast so I want to wait to post the url until i've bought a set.:laugh:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I ended up picking up both complete passat side mirros power heated and folding for 30$ a side :thumbup:, I am also not afraid to chop them up to fit them to the Jetta bases so I think this is the more "Economical" route haha.

Besides whats the fun if it all jsut bolts in :screwy:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Haha well i already have the W8 on order so that wont do :p

And i also at the same time am building a new car as of this last weekend! So my car is probably going to get neglected for a while unfortunately!

I still need the motors window motors from the Passat and all that good stuff, but at least i can start transferring the mirror bits over to the Jetta platform.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nice thread.

My contribution:

Mine's working like stock, eventually i want to encorporate the Audi 361 relay AND have the switch work at the same time.

EDIT: For anybody attempting to put the Passat folding mirror section onto the base of the MKIV base will be in for a surprise if you have mexico mirrors. You'll need to find german mirrors (longer post) you'll understand when you pull them apart :)

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.