VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on doing the install myself. Seems like a very easy car to install equipment. How many holes are there inthe firewall. I don't want to drill new ones if possible. Will the existing holes accomodate 4g wire?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: MKIV's-Where did you mount your fuse block and is the firewall hole large enough for 4g? (Joe_R)

I ended up drilling a hole because i couldnt find a place to run it. However some people said there is a place behind the foot rest thing on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Re: MKIV's-Where did you mount your fuse block and is the firewall hole ... (scottasm12)

Mounted the fuse block up by the battery on the plastic piece that covers the light housing....as for a hole int he fire wall for 4 gua - there is a place - i'm running 0 gua through it - it's about 6-8 inches up and 6 - 8 inches to the right when looking from the drivers side in the car - pull the carpet up and you'll be able to see it easier... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: MKIV's-Where did you mount your fuse block and is the firewall hole ... (Red GTi VR6)

If you have an automatic tranny, there is an empty grommet where the clutch would go. If you have a manual, then there is a grommet just above the gas pedal behind the insulation. It's easier to find the grommet from the outside of the car and feed the cable in. It's big enough for 4 ga.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: MKIV's-Where did you mount your fuse block and is the firewall hole ... (Romnkar)

It'a a manual 1.8T. I found a pre-drilled hole about 1/2 inch diameter. Wan't sure if that would accept 4g wire since I'd need a rubber grommet to line the hole. Thought there might be some other on the firewall that I couldn't see so well?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: MKIV's-Where did you mount your fuse block and is the firewall hole ... (Joe_R)

Depends on the grommet. I used the phoenix gold compression grommet and had to enlarge this hole with a unibit (step-bit) slightly. But a conventional grommet may work okay since the hole is just over 1/2" and 4 ga. cable is about 3/8".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.