VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :(

I read this month that VW is changing the dash lighting for the new golf from blue to amber. I haven't seen any pics of it but if that's the case, I think it's a very stupid move on VW's part as the current red/blue dash lighting is class leading and simply stated, hot as hell IMHO. I seriously hope they reconsider.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (DUBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE)

I don't know...I really like the blue, but the amber might be cool too...I'd have to see it first to compare...
Of course, I'm takin' a shine to that BMW/Audi red stuff, too...

·
Registered
146 Posts

Read that in C&D too and am determined to push for a keeping of the blue. All the people i have converted to VW think it is coolas well as easy on the eyes
but even more it is distinctive to VW
Unbelivable that they would shift to amber which drives some of us crazy with glare. Blue is cool. Ay idea on how to let vw know our predicament and opinion? Desperate to keep it Blue!
Mark

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (allamericanred2)

Funny how the car manufacturers change dashboard lights with each new model overhaul, siting "studies" suggesting the new color scheme is better... and it's always dramatically different from the previous one.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (gorilla800lbs)

I'm confused about dash lighting too, the blue lighting that is now on the newest VWs seemed questionable to me whe they came out. Although they do look very nice, I remember in my lighting subjects back in the School of Architecture that I went to, we learned that light from the blue spectrum of the light scale is supposed to be more tiring to the eyes and that we should design lighting more towards the yellow and green to provide a more comfortable lighting environment. We learned that the most ideal light mix that should be used was a mix of blue and yellow spectrum lighting because this is supposed to approach daylight. We had special drafting lamps with both incandescent and fluorescent bulbs in them to help us withstand all night design session. The fluorescent bulb provided the blue light and mixed with the yellow that the incandescent bulb emitted. I even remember my professor making an example of instrument lighting in fighter planes. He said that the plane designers avoid blue all together and stay with green and amber to help keep fighter pilot's eyes fresh through the flight. My brother's B5 had the blue lighting and I asked him if it ever bothered him. He said no and that it actually feels good to the eyes. Now I don't know who to believe. He's actually pretty bummed out that his new A4 Turbo does not have the blue instrument lights that his former B5 had.

[Modified by ibijo, 8:46 PM 8-4-2002]

[Modified by ibijo, 8:49 PM 8-4-2002]

[Modified by ibijo, 8:50 PM 8-4-2002]

[Modified by ibijo, 11:44 PM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (ibijo)

Yeah heard that Fightter pilot crap b4 too- but no one i know thinks that the amber/ red stuff is great -irritating to me so much that i didn't buy and audi--blue is soothing ,the green was ok but blue is distinctive and just cool with the red thrown in for accent !!!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (allamericanred2)

If blue is okay for the Boeing 777 pilot:

Then it's good for my 2002 Passat

I like the blue. Took awhile to get used to, but I LIKE it!

[Modified by randy, 11:00 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Banned
5,688 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (randy)

The experts say that yellowish hues are easy on the eyes and cause less eye strain.( I think that is why yellow legal pads came into use) I've seen the blue guages and don't think they are easy on the eyes. My A3 Golf has green lighting and it seems very easy to read and relaxing on the eyes. Whichever color is easiest on the eyes is what I want to see in my next VW. Come on now, Germany practicality should not loose out to styling should it?
Leave that to the domestic manufacturers.
I believe that yellow or green is what it should be. By the way many of the planes Air Bus Industries (Europe) manufactures use yellow/amber lighting.
I believe that many of the European customers surveyed probably have complained about the blue lighting (being hard on the eyes), and this is probably the main reason why it will no longer be used.

[Modified by golf strom, 12:46 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (Reflexinator)

And like you, many, I am sure. The blue/red scheme is one of the MkIV generation's claim to fame. It's one of the unique "ooh aah" things that everybody notices.
That said, although I love the scheme, we would have to see what VW is planning before condemning it. I rather like the New Beetle Turbo S's white/red scheme, and I suppose if there were a sort of yellow backlighting, it would once again be a unique look anyhow. (and if it sucks, you can always go LED happy and replace all the LEDs with blue ones
)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts

The indigo looks really mellow, but honestly it wouldn't be the deciding factor in choosing (or avoiding) a Mk5. If my next car isn't a VW, it'll be because the technicians suck and the customer service does too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (spongebob_squarepants)

Suposily the blue relaxs the eye at night and dialates it more to allow more light to enter the eye. Don't know if this is thrue. It's what I heard.
Maybe a cool feature would allow you to change the dash to a color of your chouce.. Like Blue, amber, or green. Just an idea.

[Modified by blackjetta18T, 2:47 AM 8-14-2002]

·
Banned
2,641 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (golf strom)

The experts say that yellowish hues are easy on the eyes and cause less eye strain.( I think that is why yellow legal pads came into use) I've seen the blue guages and don't think they are easy on the eyes. My A3 Golf has green lighting and it seems very easy to read and relaxing on the eyes. QUOTE]
i do have to admit.. i changed my green to blue in my MK3, and at times the speedo is a bit hard to read with the blue.. but i like the color and i aint gonna change it.. lol..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: MKV AMBER DASH LIGHTING :( (jonbaker)

Take a look at the Phaeton. No blue dash lightning. It's amber.
The reason for changing to amber is the short lifecycle of the blue led's, according to a german car magazine.
In my Golf IV the first light to drop out, wasn't a blue one...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.