VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that many folks are confused about various aspects of the MkV Euroswitch. This thread should answer any questions you may have about using a European headlamp switch in a US A5 Golf (Rabbit) or Jetta car. If there are any other questions or concerns that you feel are important to the Euroswitch, please post them here and I'll address them in this post. Otherwise, let's keep the signal to noise ratio in this thread on the productive end of things.

What is a Euroswitch? Why would I want it in my car?
A European light switch carries a "parking light" function that allows the user to illuminate just the front, side, and rear parking lamps. There are four different European light switches, but all allow the "parking light" feature.
What is the "parking light" function of the Euroswitch?
The "parking light" feature works two ways on the A5 cars. For cars equipped with the non-projector halogen headlamp clusters, the front "city lights" in the high-beam pod will illuminate. The side markers on the front bumper as well as the tail lamps on the rear of the car will also illuminate. For cars equipped with the projector HID headlamp clusters, the front "city lights" are positioned in the "strip" under both headlamp pods. Sidemarker and rear lamp functions are the same on these cars as on the non-projector halogen cars.
What are the various options for Euroswitches?
There are four European headlamp switches available. They are as follows:
1K0 941 431 REH- Headlamp switch with automatic headlamp and rear foglamp features,
1K0 941 431 A REH- Headlamp switch with automatic headlamp, front foglamp, and rear foglamp features,
1K0 941 431 B REH- Headlamp switch with rear foglamp feature, and
1K0 941 431 C REH- Headlamp switch with front foglamp and rear foglamp features.

(Photo credits go to vw.oempl.us)
The photo shown above is of the 1K0 941 431 A REH switch. The indicator at the 12:00 position is for automatic headlamps, and the indicator just below 9:00 is for the rear foglamp. Parking lamp function is denoted by the icon at 1:00. Additionally, this switch is pictured in a Passat. As such, the extra features surrounding the switch do not apply to our cars.

(Photo credits fo to hillsideimports.com)
The photo shown above is of the 1K0 941 431 C REH switch. The automatic headlamp indicator is absent, and the "parking lamp" and "all on" indicators are each moved one position counter-clockwise when compared to an automatic headlamp switch.
Which Euroswitch do I need for my car?
Any of the European switches will work in any of the A5 cars. HOWEVER, the automatic headlamp function will only work properly on cars equipped with a light sensor. At current, only the 2006 Jetta 2.0T Package III and most 2005.5 Jettas have a light sensor. Installing an automatic headlamp switch into a car without automatic headlamps will just provide an extra function that essentially acts as a complete "on" position but that will also turn all lights off when the car is turned off. Similarly, the rear fog lamp function will only work if a rear fog lamp has been properly installed and activated. Please see the rear foglamp installation DIY here in the DIY/FAQ for more details on this process.
Will the MkIV Euroswitch work in a MkV?
No, the MkIV switch will not fit. The harness connectors are not even close to similar between the two switches.
Where can I purchase a Euroswitch?
All of *the usual suspects* for OEM parts carry at least some of the MkV European light switches. These include Hillside Imports, vw.oempl.us, Dynamic Motorworks, etc. Expect to pay somewhere in the $70 range for a European light switch.
How do I install my Euroswitch?
Installation of the European light switch is a snap, or more literally, a click. Simply put the stock US switch to the "off" position, push in on the turnwheel until you encounter resistance, and turn the turnwheel (with is still pushed in) until you encounter resistance in the clockwise direction. At that point, the switch can be pulled out of the dash. Remove the harness, place it into the new switch, and click the new switch into place. It's that simple.
Will my Euroswitch work properly as soon as I install it?
No, the European switch will not function at 100% immediately. Negating the automatic headlamp and rear foglamp stipulations above, the daytime running lamps (DRL) must still be de-activated for the European switch to function properly. This must be done in order for the parking lamp function to illuminate only the parking lamps. If it is not done, the DRL will "trump" the parking lamp feature, and the parking lamp position will essentially become another "all on" position (parking lamps will illuminate, but DRL will also be illuminated). DRL can be disabled through use of a VagCom. The dealership can also disable DRL with their VAS tool, but some dealers will not do such a procedure.
Will the Euroswitch allow me to use my front foglamps with my high-beam headlamps?
This is not a function that is switch-dependent. This change must be made with a VagCom.
Will the Euroswitch allow me to have ONLY the front foglamps (if equipped) illuminated?
No. The only comparable combination is the parking light plus front foglamp function. On the combination (front foglamp and rear foglamp) switches, the switch pulls outward one time to power front foglamps and a second time to power the rear foglamp. That is, the rear foglamp will only illuminate *after* the front foglamps are already illuminated. On the rear foglamp switches, the switch pulls outward one time to power the rear foglamp. Foglamp functions only work with the "parking light" and "all on" positions (the last two on the switch when starting at 12:00 and moving in a clockwise direction).
How can I utilize the Coming Home and Leaving Home features of the MkV cars?
Both Coming Home and Leaving Home can be enabled with a standard US non-automatic switch, though the automatic switch is what was intended. Each must be activated in the Central Electronics controller with a VagCom.
When using a non-automatic switch, simply leave the light switch in the "on" position all the time. Coming Home and Leaving Home will both work as intended in this position. Once the switch is turned to the "off" position, only the Leaving Home feature will work.
If an automatic headlamp switch is used for cars that do not have a light sensor, the auto position would essentially be an "always on" position due to the absence of the light sensor.
If a fully-functioning light sensor were installed and the automatic headlamp position were left on 24 hours a day, the Coming Home and Leaving Home functions would only activate when the light sensor tells the controller that there is need for illumination. That is, simply using an automatic switch does not provide 100% true functionality of the Coming Home and Leaving Home functions due to the absence of the light sensor.
For descriptions of both the Coming Home and the Leaving Home functions, see the MkV Glossary (thread coming at a later date)

Modified by BRM10984 at 2:49 PM 11-3-2006

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (bgriggs)

Quote, originally posted by bgriggs »
I know a lot of people have been wondering if the MkIV euro switches will fit MkV cars. They do not.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60, 2019 GTI 6MT
1,883 Posts
Re: MkV Euroswitch "Most Asked" Question and Answer Thread (BRM10984)

Oh thank the lawd someone made this! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Nice job of making it clear and answering what should be any possible questions people have about the switch.
One thing though:
Will the MkV Euroswitch work in a MkV?
I think you mean "Will the MkIV Euroswitch work in an MkV"

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

If you use VAGCOM to recode the instrument cluster to Great Britain, DRLs operate with the switch off but go out when the parking lights are switched on. So you do not necessarily need to disable the DRLs in order to get the parking light and parking light with fog light only functions.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (cafecar)

Quote, originally posted by cafecar »
If you use VAGCOM to recode the instrument cluster to Great Britain, DRLs operate with the switch off but go out when the parking lights are switched on. So you do not necessarily need to disable the DRLs in order to get the parking light and parking light with fog light only functions.

Wow- you learn something new every day.

I'll try it out for confirmation and will update the thread accordingly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: (cafecar)

Quote, originally posted by cafecar »

You may have to enable "Scandinavian" DRL to make this work.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
My car is coded for US instrument cluster and Scandinavian DRL. The DRL are off in the city light position so I can run Solo Fogs. YMMV

Modified by hatzie at 5:17 PM 9-12-2006

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts

So although a vag-com is not required to recode the drl's or other regional coding, it will certainly allow fogs/parking lights only while running.
Also, stick to the part numbers, other switches that look like these (like for the touareg) won't function properly.
Good stuff BRM10984! Does this mean no more euroswitch threads in the wild?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »

Good stuff BRM10984! Does this mean no more euroswitch threads in the wild?

You betcha.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
You betcha.

Whats a euroswitch Brian ???

Heck i like that P button on the image you shown. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (spinfunky)

Quote, originally posted by spinfunky »

Whats a euroswitch Brian ???

Heck i like that P button on the image you shown. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Electronic parking brake in the Passat. Fancy schmancy stuff and all...

·
Registered
3,850 Posts

Electronic parking brake in the Passat. Fancy schmancy stuff and all...

Neat, didnt realize that yanking of of the parking brake became so bothersome...

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts

You betcha.

Outstanding! It will save me from posting matching vag-com questions http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
252 Posts

BRM, Thanks for your help on my Euroswitch......I put mine in today and all systems go. I cannot believe how different the connector of my Passat is than the one on this GTI. The GTI connector is 1/2 the size. Thanks again! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Re: (Detailed)

What vendor here on the tex has the best price on a OEM euroswitch ?
Thanks Bob.G

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Re: (rracerguy717)

Quote, originally posted by rracerguy717 »
What vendor here on the tex has the best price on a OEM euroswitch ?
Thanks Bob.G

Bump this up

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.