VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: (VUUR32)

I do not have the correct information but 30 lb. sounds way to heavy to me. I would be surprised at anything over 25 lb. Even that number sounds a bit heavy for an 18" wheel.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (nugj)

i've seen two other threads where they said something around 30lbs. i think these wheels are made by zonder... that may be how to figure it out. no time now for me...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? (cheeebs)

Quote, originally posted by cheeebs »
search & no find, sorry...

anyone have stock wheel weight and offset info? not interested in gaining any ozs. if i go aftermarket. thanks.

Try this,
Look up the weight of the tire on Tirerack.com
Weight your wheel/tire assembly and then subtract the tire weight off to get a close approximate wheel weight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? (AsianDude)

Quote, originally posted by AsianDude »

Try this,
Look up the weight of the tire on Tirerack.com
Weight your wheel/tire assembly and then subtract the tire weight off to get a close approximate wheel weight.

I wish that worked but compressed air adds lots of weight. If you completely deflate you tire that's a different story.
-Mike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? (mpaone)

well people want to know how much it weighs because you want to decrease rotational mass, (a very important property of physics and going fast) so knowing the weight under pressure is not a bad thing. you will be driving with your tires under pressure, not empty.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? (R32silverman)

Quote, originally posted by R32silverman »
well people want to know how much it weighs because you want to decrease rotational mass, (a very important property of physics and going fast) so knowing the weight under pressure is not a bad thing. you will be driving with your tires under pressure, not empty.

Ummm yea.
I don't think you understood what he was saying. Tire Rack shows the weight of the tire EMPTY. How can we know the weight of the wheel if you subtract the weight of the tire full of air?
-Mike.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? (dub_boi_oi_oi)

Quote, originally posted by dub_boi_oi_oi »
I put my stock wheels on the scales after the Neuspeed RS10's went on my car.
They are infact 30lbs (give or take 1/4 lb).

30lbs??!! That's an anchor at every corner! I was hoping they were in the low 20"s....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Re: (cheeebs)

Quote, originally posted by cheeebs »
i've seen two other threads where they said something around 30lbs. i think these wheels are made by zonder... that may be how to figure it out. no time now for me...

No. They're made by Speedline. Here's a picture of one of them when I took it off it my car. It's stamped on the back. I replaced mine with OZ Superturismos of 18x8 size (1/2 wider than stock), which is listed by Tire Rack at 24.4 lbs. Interestingly though, I could have sworn that the stock wheels were at least a pound or two lighter than the OZs, which would put them at closer to 22 or 23 lbs (not 30). Granted, my arms aren't scales, but I would think I'd notice if they were 6 or 7 lbs heavier than my new wheels.
I wouldn't take the 30 lb. weight as gospel until you see a picture of them on a scale, or have a reputable source outside of this forum. Not saying it's not possible, but it would definitely surprise me if they were that heavy after having lifted them several times.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? (dub_boi_oi_oi)

30 lbs? It sounds like you are referring to 2006-2007 Zolder model w/ 20 spokes.... We need a info/weight of 2008 model..

Modified by TGR at 1:36 PM 10-16-2007

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? (Be_Liquid10)

Quote, originally posted by Be_Liquid10 »
well that pretty much makes my decision easier as to what wheels to get. Seems like almost all aftermarket wheels weight less then stock. What a shame

I going down to the garage with a metal saw, I figure I'll drop the weight by 6 lbs per wheel if I remove 5 of the spokes on each one......

·
Registered
697 Posts
Re: MkV R32 stock wheel weight? ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
I wouldn't be surprised at the 30lbs.
Oh and mindemann your car looks sic with the OZ Superturismos, one of my favorite wheels, I rock them on my MKIV http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks Gary.
It was my very first "mod"... never been a fan of the stockers.
Glad we got the 30lb issue cleared up, though I wish I had a scale on hand when I took my OEM wheels, so I could give everyone the correct weight. My guess is still in the 23-25lb. region. They really did seem quite light and well made (I just wasn't a fan of the style).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts