VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Running into a setup issue with my MKV hoping you guys can help me out. Like the topic says im running APR software (91 oct ), abd stage 2 intake, bsh stage 1 pcv revamp kit, and the eruojet dv relocation kit. The problem is the car keeps throwing codes (too lean code) and diverting to limp mode. Had the system checked by a smoke test to test for leaks nothing came of it. Checked all my hose clamps again and still running into the same problem. I installed all the parts at once (minus APR) making it difficult to single out one performance add on as being the problem.
Any suggestions out there??

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... (Whiteboi11)

abd intake having the wrong MAF housing area........thats where would start. I have not seen guys running these abd intakes. The Fujita intake had this issue.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... (RABIDRABBIT1983)

OP, do you have a VagCom or access to one? If you can get access to the data...please pull the figures from block 032 in the Engine Measuring Blocks. Also, what does your boost look like...any leaks?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... (RABIDRABBIT1983)

yes had to do some minor adjustments to the MAF housing, but is all sealed up with a small amount of gasket sealer. Added it just in case. Don't see that being the issue

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... (rbradleymedmd)

Ill try to get that info for you from VAGCOM, Don't think I have any boost leaks had it check out through a smoke test. However I don't have a boost gauge as of yet so I couldn't tell you what kinda numbers it putting out but ill try to get that info off Vagcom.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... (Whiteboi11)

This is not a definitive answer, but a friends car had a similar problem and it was related to his MAF sensor and his intake.
See if you can borrow an intake and switch it out and see if that fixes the issue. It will take you 5 minutes tops to switch intakes and that might help troubleshoot your issue.

Modified by aeproberts21 at 6:46 PM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Heres the codes that came up on the scan,

008567 bank 1; system too lean off idle
p2177 - 001 upper limit exceeded - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 51338 km
Time Indication; 0

Freeze Frame:
rpm: 2268 /min
Load: 42.7%
Speed: 93.0 km/h
Temperature: 69.0 C
Temperature: 32.0 C
Absolute Pres.: 930.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.224 V

008825 leak in air intake system
p2279 - 002 Lower Linit Exceeded - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100010
Fault priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 51476 km
Time Indication; 0

Freeze Frame:
rpm: 838 /min
Load: 18.4%
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 88.0 C
Temperature: 39.0 C
Absolute Pres.: 930.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.970 V

Hopefully this helps out

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
looks like u have a leak.

·
Vendor
20,996 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Whiteboi11 »
yes had to do some minor adjustments to the MAF housing, but is all sealed up with a small amount of gasket sealer. Added it just in case. Don't see that being the issue

Reinstall your factory intake.
Clear codes with vag-com (even if none exist).
See if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... ([email protected])

don't see how that will help unless I want to go back to stock for good. If i put the factory one back on, clear the codes and everything is fine that leaves me with performance parts collecting dust. Am I missing something? Is there a certian way to delete the codes or "trick" the computer for when I put the mods back on?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

don't see how that will help unless I want to go back to stock for good. If i put the factory one back on, clear the codes and everything is fine that leaves me with performance parts collecting dust. Am I missing something? Is there a certian way to delete the codes or "trick" the computer for when I put the mods back on?

These cars are very sensitive to the MAF sensor...if the aftermarket intake is designed improperly ie: not the proper OVAL SHAPED MAF housing it will affect performance(trust me i didt wanna put the stock airbox back on) if u dont wanna do it then dont...just look at it as trying to take 1 step at a time...if u have a vag-com do a log of block 032 to see ur LTFT and go from there...this will help explain much better http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4527420

Modified by 08 passat turbo at 1:34 AM 8-19-2009

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

I don't think he is suggesting you leave it that way. He is helping you troubleshoot. If the stock airbox takes care of the issue, then you know it is the intake you installed that is causing the problem. Once the problem has been narrowed down it allows you to plan out your next steps from there.
In my opinion, any intake that needs modification for the MAF to fit is poorly designed. You might consider selling it and buying a different one. That is just my opinion, but as someone mentioned above, our cars are very sensitive to MAF fluctuations.

·
Vendor
20,996 Posts

Others just said it but if the maf sensor housing is not properly designed, or there are some tolerances issues, the aftermarket intake can cause issues.
One of our engineers/calibrators posted this in a thread pretty similar to yours:
Quote, originally posted by [email protected];1892532 »
I am the one who is suspecting hardware. Not because hardware is absolutely the answer but because I am a data-driven person who suspects everything until it is ruled out as a potential cause. When approaching tech-support issues, I don't leave anything on the table as "totally not possible" including products from APR or any other supplier. Items have to be ruled out in my mind before they are no longer suspects as potential causes of the issue.
The reason that I suspected hardware to begin with was because of the mention that the OP made of having an aftermarket intake on his car and the fact that he has a multitude of problems that span across different areas of the ECU that are not in direct relation to each other until you work your way back to the MAF sensor and its readings (as shown by his logs).
Based on his logs, he has shown...
1. Boost increases that were not driven by the N75
2. Throttle plate closure during WOT runs (this is what's causing the boost increase)
3. Over zealous timing corrections
4. And now fuel trims that are higher than I would expect
At the ECU level, these are all driven by different maps. However, the common thread amongst them is engine load. If you trace engine load all the way back to a starting point, you will end up at the MAF sensor. This is why I told Arin that I suspect he has issues with his MAF sensor. Then I came back to the thread and read that he has an aftermarket intake on the car. So, I had some evidence in hand to suspect his intake and I am still suspect of it. I have also seen these very symptoms before on other cars where they were cured by having a properly designed MAF housing in place.
At this point, based on the evidence presented by the OP, the history I have with the ECU (in general), the experience I have with issues just like this, and the knowledge of the exact settings in our "tune", I have my lead suspect. I will let Chris in tech support handle the customer support but if it were my choice, I would have the OP swap back to his stock air box, clear codes in the car (to reset adaptations channels), drive the car for a few days and then log again on 91 octane, including fuel trims.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... ([email protected])

by swapping to stock then you know the ABD intake is junk in regards to MAF housing.........why use something just because you bought it if it does not work? I would try to return it back to ABD........
1st lets determine the stock box fixes it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

working the problem, Ill let you know what happens. Might need some more suggestions. We'll see what happens

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

get a vag-com..log block 032 and u will get ur answer if its the intake

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: MKV Setup Issues with APR 91 program,ABD stage 2 intake, BSH Stage 1 PCV ... (08 passat turbo)

Swapped out the ABD intake with the stock air box. Still throwing codes.

LOOKING FOR OPTIONS

·
Vendor
20,996 Posts
FV-QR

That should rule out the intake system.
Are you still throwing both codes or any new codes?
Check the rear PCV. Make sure it's attached and make sure the check valve is working. I'd also ensure all connections between the turbo and maf are leak free.
Lastly, you may have a faulty mass air flow sensor. Try swapping yours with a buddies, if you can. Clear codes and see if they return.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.