VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a way to tweak the steering assist on the MKV's? I'd like to tighten my 2.5 up to feel more like the GLI/GTI, a 2.5 owner can dream right
. I thought I saw something about being able to adjust it with a Vag-Com but when I went to check it out tonight I didn't see a definitive setting/menu. For fear of mucking up my steering I decided to ask, anyone done this or know how to do it? TIA

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: MKV Steering Assist adjustment with Vag-Com??? (stigs-friend)

Yes you can change the steering assist from soft to hard, spread out over 7 adjustments, 0 to 6 (although I had always thought it was just 5 adjustments) 0 or 1 is tight, and 5 or 6 is loose, or the most assist.
I was going to finish this up, but my memory is not what it once was.
I'll add to this later, when I double check with my lap top.
(module 44 steering I believe)
Someone else will chime in if I don't get back to this.

I dug it out of my trunk...
Controller 44, Steering Assist, Adaptation, channel 1.
You will probably see a value between 2 and 5, or more likely it will be set to 3. Very stiff steering = 1, and a very light feel would = 5. These are changeable, so try it out and see how you like it.
(mine was 3, I went to 2, and drove it for two days, then I decided I liked 3 better)

Modified by Tim Birney at 12:31 PM 2-4-2006

Modified by Tim Birney at 6:09 PM 2-4-2006

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: MKV Steering Assist adjustment with Vag-Com??? (Tim Birney)

Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »
Yes you can change the steering assist from soft to hard, spread out over 7 adjustments, 0 to 6 (although I had always thought it was just 5 adjustments) 0 or 1 is tight, and 5 or 6 is loose, or the most assist.
Controller 44, Steering Assist, Adaptation, channel 1.
You will probably see a value between 2 and 5, or more likely it will be set to 3. Very stiff steering = 1, and a very light fell would = 5. These are changeable, so try it out and see how you like it.
(mine was 3, I went to 2, and drove it for two days, then I decided I liked 3 better)

Awesome http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
That's exactly what I needed. I still couldn't find a reference to this on the forums already do you think this would be a valuable addition to either the DIY and/or the Vag-Com tricks threads? Surely I'm not the only noob on the face of the planet with this desire/question....am I
?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: MKV Steering Assist adjustment with Vag-Com??? (stigs-friend)

Quote, originally posted by stigs-friend »

Awesome http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
That's exactly what I needed. I still couldn't find a reference to this on the forums already do you think this would be a valuable addition to either the DIY and/or the Vag-Com tricks threads? Surely I'm not the only noob on the face of the planet with this desire/question....am I
?
Thanks again!

Certainly, I'll get it added immediately.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (Tr0p1c_6er)

Quote, originally posted by Tr0p1c_6er »
What are the GTIs set at from the factory?

I'm not sure. If I get access to a Vagcom next weekend again, I'll check my GLI and report back. I'd imgaine it's the same on the GTI and GLI. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
I'm not sure. If I get access to a Vagcom next weekend again, I'll check my GLI and report back. I'd imgaine it's the same on the GTI and GLI. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I've got access to a GLI, a GTI, and a Vagcom. I'll try to post an answer to that by this evening.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »

It's set at 5 on the GLI.
Ok, my cat is out of the bag.
I was going to get a fish scale and code all the values and report how many lbs it took to move the wheel.
You want this in the FAQ? I'll add it!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2356431
added!
Now someone go and get a fish scale so I don't have to do the dirty work!!!

That would be a neat experiment. Post a new thread with the results once you get 'em. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

Odd, you would think Grandmas TDI would be a 4 or 5, and GTI/GLI would be a 2...
My TDI was set at 3 from the factory, and I stumbled into an '06 TDI that was a 5.
...but a GLI set to 5?
(perhaps the scale is backwards... 5 being tight/hard, and 1 being mushy/soft?)
Although, I went from 3 to 2 and it felt a little more stiff than I wanted it to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Tim Birney)

Odd, you would think Grandmas TDI would be a 4 or 5, and GTI/GLI would be a 2...
My TDI was set at 3 from the factory, and I stumbled into an '06 TDI that was a 5.
...but a GLI set to 5?
(perhaps the scale is backwards... 5 being tight/hard, and 1 being mushy/soft?)
Although, I went from 3 to 2 and it felt a little more stiff than I wanted it to be.

On that note, after some experimentation today I may have a theory on that. We checked out the GLI and it was set to 5...ok so we checked my 2.5 and it was set to 3...now that doesn't make sense from what I've read, so we tested it at nearly every setting.
Theory warning!!
I am not presenting this as a fact, just based on my observations today a plausible idea about these settings.
We tried modifying the setting while sitting still and couldn't tell any difference really, so we would change a setting and try to make the same run along the same stretch of road. What I began to notice was that though the amount of assist did not seem to change the point at which it reached it's minimum point did. So basically:
setting at 1 the assist curve would drop off at about 10 - 15MPH
2 the assist curve would drop off at 20 - 25MPH
3 the assist curve would drop off at 30 - 35MPH
Ect.
This may have very well just been my perception but I could tell no difference in the amount of assist offered, i.e. how easy it was to turn the wheel only how soon that assist went away.
Like I said just a theory try it out for yourself and let me know so we can compare notes.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: (stigs-friend)

I noticed the same change when I went from 3 down to 2, and I did not like it.
I think 3 is probably the best for all around driving.
We have to remember that this is the Assist that is being discussed, and not some magical adjustment to the Steering Ratios.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I ended up setting mine at 2, since that range or lower is where I take most of my "everyday driving" turns. If I'm speeding thru some nice curves I like the "heavier" feel of the wheel. I would imagine there would be a seperate setting for the amount of assist offered as well, but I can't say that for certain.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stigs-friend »
I ended up setting mine at 2, since that range or lower is where I take most of my "everyday driving" turns. If I'm speeding thru some nice curves I like the "heavier" feel of the wheel. I would imagine there would be a seperate setting for the amount of assist offered as well, but I can't say that for certain.

Are we backwards? Part II
A little clip of a post over on the TDIClub....
" we've discussed in previous threads, the settings range from 1 - 6, 1 being "mobility" setting, v. high powered assistance, and 6 is "GTI" setting with minimal assistance.
I was surprised to learn that my car has been on setting 2, or "Girlie" as it's now called. I expected it to be set 5 - 6, sports style steering for the GT models but no! Perhaps this was another mess up on behalf of the boys at the VW factory?"

So, are we backwards on the number scale?

Modified by Tim Birney at 7:49 PM 2-6-2006

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
So your tests backup that it's backwards, right?

No, that was a clip from the TDICLUB, from a UK driver.
I queried his VAGTECH Technician's screen as showng GTI rather than displaying a number range, as we show it.
I believe, from what I experienced that we are not backwards, but the ASSIST is what we are actually decreasing, or increasing. We are decreasing the assistance on the lower settings, and increasing the assistance on the higher numbers.
So less assistance at speed would be "1" and more assistance at speed would be "5".
Low speeds will be transparent to any changes.
I'll post the link, so you can read for your self.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=129533

Modified by Tim Birney at 7:34 AM 2-7-2006

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So less assistance at speed would be "1" and more assistance at speed would be "5".
Low speeds will be transparent to any changes.

This makes sense to me as I see the assist as the graph of a reference curve with the speed across the horizontol axis and the amount of assist across the verticle axis. The VW engineers have told the ECU to match this curve as closely as possible at all times but they built in some configurablility by using a multipler, the assist value, which would change the correlation of speed to assist consistently unless turned off, i.e. set to 0. So it makes sense to me that the higher the value the greater the assist at any given speed.
Just to clarify hopefully, if at 10MPH the reference graph says that the amount of assist should be 5lbs but we have our assist value set at 6 then the ecu tries to make the amount of assist 30lbs. If we change our value to 2 then the amount of assist changes to 10lbs. If we set it to 0 then the amount of assist would be 0 regardless of what the reference graph said.
I am not a VW engineer, thank goodness or else VW's stock would tank and complaints on vortex would sky rocket, but this makes sense to me based on what I saw in fiddling around with my settings. A side note that might verify this, we set the value to 7 for giggles and took a quick spin and found the assist to be erratic, it would be high, then low, then high again, back to low, ect. That could have been the ECU trying to compensate for values that were falling outside what it "expected" them to be.
Hopefully that'll make sense to somebody other than me. I'm not very good an explaining the things in my head, so I apologize if I just confused anyone further.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

I am still a little confused (what else is new)
has anyone double checked what these setting are on the US GTI and GLI
what is factory pre-set, what have people changed it to?
thanks
mtm

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.