VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question! If I am not mistaken, the offset is 45mm on the mkV? (Correct me if I am wrong) Now, what do I have to do to make a 30 or 35mm offset work correctly on this car? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: MKV Wheel Question (WasserwerksVP)

The offset depends on the wheel you're referring to. I believe the standard 16 inch wheels are 50mm, from what I've heard on here. The 17's on the GLI are a little less (sticking out a little more). I can double check the latter two when I get home.
You may be able to get away with 35mm if you are stretching your tires and going for that pokey look. 30mm just won't work without sticking out too much, IMO.

Modified by VWYankee at 2:31 PM 10-19-2005

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go any less than et38 or et35. I noticed on my car that my et38s line up perfectle with the fender in the back. It's definitely possible, man, just make sure your wheels clear the calipers!

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: (sgmecham)

Bah, learn a little about offsets
offsets are dependent on width, unless you know the width of the wheel, you cannot make a judgement as to how much poke it will have
An ET35 on a 9" and a ET35 on a 7" wheel is VERY different
Once you get the real offset and wheel size from your stock or someone elses, use this tool to see what will happen with a different size wheel and offset- http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (mack73)

Great tool, Mack! ...and thanks for the clarification on the factors involved. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I'll still check the et on both our sets of wheels.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

i wana get wheels for my golf
i have stock rims which are 16 x 6.5 et 50
and the one's i wana get are 17 x 7.5 et 35
using that tool it says that it'll poke out more by 28mm
would that stick out too much?
can i just roll the guards?
thanks

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: (stevie)

Well its easy to find out. Go get a ruler, put it up against your stock wheel and measure out 28mm. That will be the most accurate way of determining where the wheel will be on your car
28mm sounds like it should be fine, might need a roll, but I don't want to tell you that and have you hunt me down when its a little more rubbing than you wanted

Modified by mack73 at 10:58 AM 10-19-2005

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (mack73)

Okay, I just edited my post above that was guessing the offsets of the stock wheels (deleted the guesses). I just looked and here are the specs:
GLI/GTI stock Ronal 17" wheel - 17x7 et 54 -23lbs (thanks, Branman!)
Monza/Detroit/Hufweisen BBS 18" wheel - 18x7.5 et 51 - 29lbs each
Karthoum 18" wheel - 18x8 et 50 - 28lbs each
That would make me think if you had a wheel with et 35 that was 7 or 7.5 width, it would stick out quite a bit on the front. These are the the 18's without any spacers. As you can see, like the MKIV's the rear's are more inset than the front. I don't think I'd want any sticking out any more than the front's in my pics.

Modified by VWYankee at 9:42 AM 3-2-2006

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

ok Forget my statement above, those front wheels are pretty flush on the MKV's. (more so than any other generation VW)

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (jhayesvw)

Quote, originally posted by jhayesvw »
so,
what kind of offset would be the lowest you could go on a 8" wheel before it started to "poke"? i want tuck, not poke. but i also want to fill the well and sit pretty flush.

What what? You getting a MkV too, Jeremy?

·
Registered
6,926 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jhayesvw »
so,
what kind of offset would be the lowest you could go on a 8" wheel before it started to "poke"? i want tuck, not poke. but i also want to fill the well and sit pretty flush.

I have currently (not tomorrow-new wheels coming) 19x7.5 43mm offset----with 235/35 tires....and here is the tuck or poke-you judge for yourself:

And here is 19x8.5 35 mm offset with 235/35 tires....THIS DOES NOT WORK UNLESS you do some trimming esp in the rears......
THESE RUBBED

Modified by GaBoYnFla at 6:04 PM 2-6-2006

·
Registered
6,926 Posts

Is the car gonna be lowered ever? What size tire? A 225 instead of a 235/35 might do it....and different mfg tires have different shoulder profiles....if you really wanna come that close.
I'm of the opinion that that doesn't matter cause if you ever had to load it down for a trip and have some people in it.....it scrubs and tears something up.....you won't like it. Maybe you could get some of those shipping spring supports but I wouldn't recommend it.
I say get the right wheels. Sell yours on eBay and get some more....here it comes-the sales pitch-just buy mine....for $1000 bucks-wheels and tires....it's a good deal considering they cost over 2400 plus. Those in the first 3 pics.

Modified by GaBoYnFla at 6:15 PM 2-6-2006

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.