VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
The ZCP was equipped with the M performance exhaust, livened the car up a bit without being obnoxious or loud enough to disturb your neighbors. It's a worthy upgrade

B8 RS5 has one of the most comfortable seating positions I have ever been in - comparable to full size luxury sedans, downshifts are amazing, moves very well given the 2 ton weight especially if you can keep it above 5k but that also means you have to really push it on the street to have fun whereas the M4 is slightly more engaging even cruising around town. The Mazi is surprisingly very engaging despite it's size, sounds great, shifts are more DCT like than a lot of cars equipped with DCT but it's 4200-4300lbs, pure GT experience. I test drove a base v6 F-Type as well and felt it was lighter than an M4 which I think it is by ~150 pounds but no "drama", no surprise given it has 75 less HP vs the M4. I took a 718 Cayman S for a spin and didn't click with it, prefer the M4 but want to try a 981 S before crossing Porsche off the list

Keep us posted on your adventures with the M4
Ah, M-performance makes sense. Fairly certain the M4C I drove just had the updated LCI ZCP exhaust, which is different but barely.

I'll update this periodically without a doubt. :beer:

EDIT to mention: I agree the M-performance exhaust is a nice upgrade, but at $4K (a tad less from other non-bmw retailers but not even by $500 in most cases), I simply cannot justify spending that kind of money for sound.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,136 Posts
Funny coincidence, after reading this thread the other day, an F8x M car shows up in the neighborhood my girlfriend lives in. Manual! It looks mean... I’m interested.

My mother has an F8x diesel wagon (not brown nor manual, sorry guys) and I enjoy driving it. I wish it had the pah that my father’s 5 series has with the B58 and ZF8. I can only imagine the M cars.. I briefly drove an M2C and didn’t get to trounce on it like I wanted to (salesperson in car), so I don’t have a good frame of reference.

Enjoy it, and like others said, thanks for writing out your story!

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Funny coincidence, after reading this thread the other day, an F8x M car shows up in the neighborhood my girlfriend lives in. Manual! It looks mean... I’m interested.

My mother has an F8x diesel wagon (not brown nor manual, sorry guys) and I enjoy driving it. I wish it had the pah that my father’s 5 series has with the B58 and ZF8. I can only imagine the M cars.. I briefly drove an M2C and didn’t get to trounce on it like I wanted to (salesperson in car), so I don’t have a good frame of reference.

Enjoy it, and like others said, thanks for writing out your story!
If you enjoy the F series wagon, an M2/3/4 will knock your socks off. Not for everyone, but worth a test drive. I will say however, if I lived in the NE where roads are typically not in the best of shape, I would probably look for the base 18in wheels for the extra sidewall. I was honestly going to swap my 19's out for a set until I found out the 19's are forged, whereas the 18's are cast.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If you enjoy the F series wagon, an M2/3/4 will knock your socks off. Not for everyone, but worth a test drive. I will say however, if I lived in the NE where roads are typically not in the best of shape, I would probably look for the base 18in wheels for the extra sidewall. I was honestly going to swap my 19's out for a set until I found out the 19's are forged, whereas the 18's are cast.
counterpoint: the 513m is the best looking wheel since the 359m so... checkmate.

I think my dream F80 is daytona violet with 513ms. YMB is probably more doable though as it's always a crap shoot as to what individual colors you'll find in the used market.

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
counterpoint: the 513m is the best looking wheel since the 359m so... checkmate.

I think my dream F80 is daytona violet with 513ms. YMB is probably more doable though as it's always a crap shoot as to what individual colors you'll find in the used market.
I do think the 513 is one of the better looking wheels BMW has made, mostly because everything has gone to the brushed aluminum to create a design trend. But I think the 763m (off the CS or purchased as an m-performance wheel) is the best option available for the F8x cars. It just infuriates me that to purchase the full set-up (w/ tires, tpms, and center caps) from BMW forces me to buy the M3/4 set which has 20" rears and 19" fronts. While the M2 set, with same offeset/Et is 19" all around but the tire sizes are narrower than the m3/4.

Otherwise I may have pulled the trigger on them before refurbishing my own wheels.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

The 513 is forged, the 640 and 641 are cast. I wish I could run the 513s for a winter setup, they look great.

·
Premium Member
991.2 GTS
471 Posts
:beer: cheers to that. I put some effort into this one, so you guys enjoying the post gives me some enjoyment as well.

I did look into 911's, I think I even posted about one. I wasn't interested in 996's only because for the purposes of a DD I did want simple creature comforts such as bluetooth, then I thought well I can just install these things via the aftermarket. The more I looked into though the 996 just wasn't right for me for a dd, 2nd car? Definitely. So i began looking at 997's but any of the ones in my price range were in the 70K mile range, usually automatic, and the most boring color combos (grey/grey, white/grey, or some outlandish interior color). I really wanted a PDK car and those were out of budget. I ultimately decided that getting into a 911 would force too many compromises just to be in a 911 instead of the 911 I would have wanted. Cayman's were closer, and honestly would have been feasible, but the more I looked the more I was forced to compromise on options I would have wanted. That is why I ultimately decided to shelve the P-car until I can afford what I want.
Thats kinda what I did. I drove a RS5 and M4 and then I drove a 911 (991.2 S) and after that, I couldnt see the purpose of driving the M4. It just didnt feel like it knew what it was. So I did the smart thing and stretched my budget from 75 to 120 and ended up with a great car. That being said a 911 will hold its value better than a M so its less drastic in terms of TCO. And then I bought a couch to drive every day for cheap. I was afraid for a while that I was going to get A 911 but I was fortunate to get the 911.

If I ended up in that Imola M4 Comp, I'm sure I'd have loved it. Youll have very few regrets. The grass may be greener, but not by much.

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thats kinda what I did. I drove a RS5 and M4 and then I drove a 911 (991.2 S) and after that, I couldnt see the purpose of driving the M4. It just didnt feel like it knew what it was. So I did the smart thing and stretched my budget from 75 to 120 and ended up with a great car. That being said a 911 will hold its value better than a M so its less drastic in terms of TCO. And then I bought a couch to drive every day for cheap. I was afraid for a while that I was going to get A 911 but I was fortunate to get the 911.

If I ended up in that Imola M4 Comp, I'm sure I'd have loved it. Youll have very few regrets. The grass may be greener, but not by much.
Yea different end of the pricing spectrum but similar conundrum. I could have stretched my budget to $45K which would have wound up at about $50K w/ taxes and everything else, and that would have meant being frugal in other areas for a little while, but even doing that would have got me into almost what I wanted. Ultimately the M4 was the answer and in my own personal vehicular hierarchy it made sense to make this step before the P-car. Barring significant life altering events, the P-car will be a legitimate possibility when I go to replace this car. Though honestly, thinking I'll likely be having kids on the mind by that point, the new M3 may be at the top of the list. That however is still a solid 5-7 years off.

For now, I'm enjoying...and for the first time in over a decade the mod bug has bit me. The immense amount of improvement/changes you can make to the car with simple tunes for not a lot of money is amazing.

·
Premium Member
991.2 GTS
471 Posts
Yea different end of the pricing spectrum but similar conundrum. I could have stretched my budget to $45K which would have wound up at about $50K w/ taxes and everything else, and that would have meant being frugal in other areas for a little while, but even doing that would have got me into almost what I wanted. Ultimately the M4 was the answer and in my own personal vehicular hierarchy it made sense to make this step before the P-car. Barring significant life altering events, the P-car will be a legitimate possibility when I go to replace this car. Though honestly, thinking I'll likely be having kids on the mind by that point, the new M3 may be at the top of the list. That however is still a solid 5-7 years off.

For now, I'm enjoying...and for the first time in over a decade the mod bug has bit me. The immense amount of improvement/changes you can make to the car with simple tunes for not a lot of money is amazing.
Agree for the hierarchy- prior to my 911, my sportiest car was a E92 x drive. Now I'm ruined for handling, braking and speed. Its why you should never start with meth.

Turbos are just plain cheating- for the price of a cold air and catback 15 years ago instead of 15-20 hp, you get 100+. When I drove the M4, i found it to be traction limited - so dont forget the tires!

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Agree for the hierarchy- prior to my 911, my sportiest car was a E92 x drive. Now I'm ruined for handling, braking and speed. Its why you should never start with meth.

Turbos are just plain cheating- for the price of a cold air and catback 15 years ago instead of 15-20 hp, you get 100+. When I drove the M4, i found it to be traction limited - so dont forget the tires!
Interesting you mention traction limited. My car had the M4 specific PSS on it, with relatively good tread at that. Unfortunately at some point the alignment was out of wack and there are some signs of uneven wear, that said since I aligned it the week I got it, and becuase there was enough tread depth, I think the wear has more or less evened out. That said, I cannot wait to get fresh rubber on the car to start from scratch and I don't know whether to stick with the M4 specific PSS or go to the PS4. The only thing making question the PS4 move is the fact that their is a specific M4 PSS. The difference between the sets is only about $100.

Anyways, more to the point about traction, I spent about 3 hours last night reading one thread after another about Thor, MHD, Alpine MSS, and BM3 tunes/flashes/coding. For the purposes of this discussion I'll focus on Thor and Alpine which both code the for GTS/CS spec steering, traction control, DCT and LSD. People rave about the difference it makes in the ability to put power down and control the car.

The thing that is on my mind is that I don't find the car unwieldy, sure there are gobs of power and you can break the tail lose without much effort, but it's not as though the car is some uncontrollable big HP monster. It makes me wonder if the PO either had the car coded, or if the most recent BMW updates kind of did the job. Otherwise, do that many people buy this car expecting it to be a luxury cruiser? The complaints, and subsequent raves about the improvement, tend to describe how my car already feels. The only common complaint I can relate to is the jerkiness of the DCT in slow speed conditions, but that is a "comes with the territory" type of thing for me that is by no means so bad I think something is wrong. Nonetheless I'm intrigued considering I already think there is power everywhere without lag/hesitation, that the EDC really doesn't impead that much (real common complaint), and that the car is no jerkier than expected. I drive around with the throttle in Sport Plus and transmission in 3 most of the time, the most agressive settings possible and have no issue driving smoothly. I'm no race car driver, but are other people that hamfisted and heavy footed they can't properly modulate the pedal? Is it that I just instinctively drive it like a manual (quick jab of the gas to engage before proceeding) and not like an auto?

Long story short, after reading over everything last night, I'm hoping for a response from Alpine and a decent price for some coding as well as the GTS DCT/Diff/Traction control codes/flashses, a moderate power bump to CS levels, and the OEM ZCP burble. If it's reasonable I'll go for it ($500 or less), but if I have to pay what the website indicates then I'll likely go another route ($750). If there is really that much of a marked improvement over what I already consider great, then I can't wait.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
congrats OP!

·
Registered
F80 Bahn Stormer, Dueling MK7s with varying numbers of driven wheels
8 Posts
Hey OP - any update on the [email protected] coding/flashing front? Would like to hear your experience with the changes if you had it done.

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Hey OP - any update on the [email protected] coding/flashing front? Would like to hear your experience with the changes if you had it done.
Actually just pulled the trigger last night after many more hours pouring over threads. Waiting for my cable and instructions to arrive via mail now. I'll post up some impressions once everything is in place which I hope will be next week.

I went for everything, flash tune, MDM, DCT flash, and coding. I plan to go with the stage 1 that indicates a 50hp bump, stock ZCP style burbles, code the mirrors to fold on lock from the key fob, and some other things.

·
Registered
16,525 Posts
I don't know whether to stick with the M4 specific PSS or go to the PS4. The only thing making question the PS4 move is the fact that their is a specific M4 PSS. The difference between the sets is only about $100.
I just got a set of PS4s on mine, and they're incredible. The ride quality is much improved over the Conti Sport Contacts, and it grips like you wouldn't believe. I'm a good 5-10mph quicker through the corners I usually take in the canyons. Do it!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just got a set of PS4s on mine, and they're incredible. The ride quality is much improved over the Conti Sport Contacts, and it grips like you wouldn't believe. I'm a good 5-10mph quicker through the corners I usually take in the canyons. Do it!
Reading material for PS4s sizing choices: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610882 (note the rear 285 is preferred over the 295)

The consensus if using your current wheels and PSS is 263/35/19 MO (AMG GT front tire) and 295/35/19 * (BMW M5 rear tire). Full deep dive here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1089535

You can go with more aggressive tire sizes depending on what else you have planned, but the stock wheels aren't that wide. I'm a fan of the 265/35 295/35 PSS setup - the extra width and sidewall are a huge improvement. if you want even more grip, go RE71s instead.

I would also encourage an exhaust mod of some sort, whatever fits your budget and taste - one of the things I wish I had done sooner as it adds so much to the driving experience compared to the quiet stock exhaust. If you do go the MPE route, the v1 and v2s tend to crack.

More importantly, congrats on the car!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
My near-brother went through a series of performance Germans - AMG's and M Cars over several years. His M4 (2014) was replaced by a 911 (2107), which has now been replaced by a new 911 (2020). He still misses his M4 over the 911 many, many times - and over everything else he has had.

Last April, my partner and I hemmed and hawed over a CPO 2017 M4, Yas Marina over Carbonstructure, manual, CPO. went back two days later and it was gone.

Good luck with it!

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Aside from them overheating and chunking, I love PS4S's. Anyone here should give them a shot.
I had replaced the front MPSS on my Q50RS with MPS4s (MPSS no longer in production and couldn't source locally). The increased front end grip was immediately noticeable. We don't have any sweet canyons around here and I don't track the car, so I don't think I should run into overheating/chunking.

Reading material for PS4s sizing choices: Help picking Tire size/stagger - MPS4S (note the rear 285 is preferred over the 295)

The consensus if using your current wheels and PSS is 263/35/19 MO (AMG GT front tire) and 295/35/19 * (BMW M5 rear tire). Full deep dive here: What Size PSS for OEM 19" Wheels?

You can go with more aggressive tire sizes depending on what else you have planned, but the stock wheels aren't that wide. I'm a fan of the 265/35 295/35 PSS setup - the extra width and sidewall are a huge improvement. if you want even more grip, go RE71s instead.

I would also encourage an exhaust mod of some sort, whatever fits your budget and taste - one of the things I wish I had done sooner as it adds so much to the driving experience compared to the quiet stock exhaust. If you do go the MPE route, the v1 and v2s tend to crack.

More importantly, congrats on the car!! 👍
Well, I spent about 12hrs reading through those threads. I've decided MPS4s are going to be the replacement. The decision now is whether to stick with the 255/35/19 up front or go with the 265/35/19 up front. The read will certainly be the 285/35/19. Hoping the local highend wheel/tire shop can lend some insight.

On another note, what crackpot made these forum edits. I hate morons who change things based upon some ******* with a graph recommending something that is ultimately driven by a bottom line.

Reactions: DonPatrizio

·
Registered
F80 Bahn Stormer, Dueling MK7s with varying numbers of driven wheels
8 Posts
While we're on the subject of tires, does anyone have any recommendations on when to replace tires due to age? My new-to-me F80 came with PSS 275/35/19* front and 295/35/19* rear which have been, shall I say, disappointing. On further inspection, I found they were manufactured on 9/2016 making them just over 4 years old. I've had PSSs on a number of different vehicles (high power BMWs included) so I'm familiar with their potential performance. These just fall short of expectations with the stock tune, maybe even more so because they're the upsized star versions. I still have 6/32 tread up front and 5/32 in the back so they should have close to 50% life left in them.

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
From everything I've read, that is not a preferred matching of tires.

If they are both * spec tires that means someone took the M4 rears put them on the front, and sourced the non-comp M5 for the rears. While the 295 *'s are good for the rear, the M4 rears on the front lead to some weird driving dynamics. Again this is just what I've read during quarantine for the past t 14 days pouring over one thread after another. As for age, they're probably fine, just not the best. I would plan to replace the whole set come spring with PS4s or whenever the rears are warn which is what I intend on doing.

Right now my car came with the * spec 275's in the rear and generic 255's up front. It's a decent set up but I can definitely see why people complain about traction as far as putting the power down. While I feel like I have front grip for days, the rear could use a touch more grip. What is upsetting is that the front's are damn near brand new, while the rears will maybe last through January depending on how light I can keep my right foot. Further frustrating me is that someone drove the car while one of the front's were flat (visible wear mark around the entire side wall) which clearly damaged the tire bead and has left me with a constant slow leak necessitating a weekly trip for air (maybe 3 psi a week). So I've accepted the fact that once the rears go I'll bite the bullet for a full set of PS4's at 265/35/19 front and 285/35/19 rear even though the fronts likely would have lasted through next year.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my MSS tuning kit is out on a FedEx truck for delivery. I'm like a kid before christmas checking my phone and the window every 15 minutes for the delivery. I'll likely comb through everything tonight and then do the install tomorrow. Hopefully will have some impressions to post by the weekend.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts