VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So we are beating this oil thing into the ground, but I just switched to Mobil 1 today. All I can say is holy mother, what the hell took me so long. I can not believe the difference it makes in the VR6 24v. I don't know if maybe my last crank case was filled with molasses or something, but the car is absolutely silent now and it revs freely all the way to 11 ( spinal tap reference). Due to this new free reving engine the clutch hooks up a whole lot smoother and the car just rides so much better. This oil has absolutely extended the usable power range by a few hundred rpms on both sides of the needle. If you thought you could crawl in second gear before, you got to get a load of this. To good to be true.
On the down side engine breaking is almost non existent, but it is a trade off I can live with. If you are still using regular old oil ya got to make the switch, it has to be driven to be believed.
If you are worried about using 0w-40 instead of 5W, don't and check out the mobil 1 home page, pretty informative about substitutions

Modified by muffinman at 5:11 AM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (muffinman)

I made the change about 3,000 mies ago - I am at 10,500 right now - I noticed the same things.
1.) Run's quiet if not silent
2.) And seems to let the engine run free
3.) If you look at the back of the bottle it meets or exceeds all of VW's requirements for our 24V engine!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (Jhovasnoop)

That's the reason I've been running synthetic oil in all my cars for about 8 years now!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (GRVR6)

Quote, originally posted by GRVR6 »
With all due respect, I think you guys are dreaming.

Naaaaaaaaaaw dawg, oil be addin' hawzpowah!
hehe

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (20-Valves)

Quote, originally posted by 20-Valves »

hehe

Ok, if you say so.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (20-Valves)

Quote, originally posted by 20-Valves »

hehe

No one said it adds hp -

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

Christ, I'm just joking. That wasn't directed at anyone...
I'm going back to the 1.8t Forum, where it's safe

Matt

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

With all due respect, I think you guys are dreaming.

First of all I was not doing this to add power, I was doing it so that i would not have to change my oil so much. I have no time.
Second, the car now idles at 700 RPM instead of 900 RPM. This indicates a reduction of friction.
third- I can no longer shift based on the sound and feel. I must look at the RPM needle to get an accurate reading. I must learn a whole new shifting protocol
fourth- when I take my foot off the gas in first or second gear the car actually glides, unlike before where it would almost stop.
I could go on, but ... needless to say this is empirical data and not just based on the ass meter.
Why VW doesn't ship with this stuff is beyond me, The power-train is just so much smoother- Try it what do you have to loose?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Quote, originally posted by muffinman »
Why VW doesn't ship with this stuff is beyond me

Actually, the 24 valve engines have used 0W-30 synthetic as Factory fill since about November 2002 on.

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

Second, the car now idles at 700 RPM instead of 900 RPM. This indicates a reduction of friction.

Reducing the internal friction should have nothing to do with your idle speed whatsoever. If you are infact idling at a lower RPM, then something else is going on.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (Integrale)

Quote, originally posted by Integrale »

Reducing the internal friction should have nothing to do with your idle speed whatsoever. If you are infact idling at a lower RPM, then something else is going on.

agreed! where do you people dream up all this stuff with just a simple oil change. i agree on switching to synthetic, but there is no way your butt dyno is feeling all these things based on an oil change.
also, i have never heard that the 24V's are coming with synthetic from the factory, especially 0w30.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (FreeStage3)

I am just reporting it as I see it, like I said it may just be the difference in viscosity from my prior oil, but those you have used 0w-40 know what I am speaking of. And about the RPM, why the hell would I make this up...my car always idled at 900 and now it idols a hair over 700. I am just trying to help people, I don't work for Mobil 1. You say it is a coincidence, maybe it is or maybe its not. As i see it the car may need less rpms to produce equal torque being that the coefficient of friction has been reduced. The ECU may recognize this and drop the the idol speed to compensate. I am sure that there are many algorhtyms built into our ECU that we are not aware of, and that may very well be one of them.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Muffinman... time to wake up, sleepy head.

Where is your proof he is wrong? Or are you just here to knock down others ideas?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote, originally posted by Jhovasnoop »

Where is your proof he is wrong? Or are you just here to knock down others ideas?

Its just me and you buddy, I'm outa this post. To the sinicks, maybe your cars came with better oil then mine, all i can say is the change for me was as dramatic as Brando on Atkins.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0w-40 critique (FreeStage3)

Quote, originally posted by FreeStage3 »
also, i have never heard that the 24V's are coming with synthetic from the factory, especially 0w30.

Do you have access to dealer training bulletins? If so, check back to the last week of December 2002.

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

And about the RPM, why the hell would I make this up...my car always idled at 900 and now it idols a hair over 700. I am just trying to help people, I don't work for Mobil 1.

I'm not saying you are making it up or that you are not trying to help people. I'm glad someone on this forum is talking about technical stuff rather than 0-60 crap.
But what I am saying is it has absolutely nothing to do with the oil. I can guarantee you that with just about 100% certainty. There are no algorithms regarding oil viscosity and idle speed. Idle speed is purely a function of fuel/air ratio and emission control. Granted, a low viscosity oil may reduce friction which may reduce engine load which in turn, may reduce engine emissions (engine load and emissions are related), however, idle speed is independent of this and is held constant regardless of engine load.
One look at a Bosch fuel injection manual will clarify that for anyone who is interested.

·
Registered
750 Posts

That's where my 03 GLI idles...and I have not done my first oil change yet.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts