VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic. Anyone using it?
We have to use it in our Merc, and I was hoping that I could use it in the VR6.
The pour point is <-54 degrees C and the flashpoint is 230 degrees C.
It meets the 1997 European (ACEA A3/B3) and US/Japanese (ILSAC GF-2) fuel economy standards.
As well, meets or surpasses the VW 500.00, 505.00 performance standards.
Plus it exceeds the requirements of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and is specifically recommended by Porshe and Mercedes-Benz AMG.
Here is a link: http://www.imperialoil.com/pdf/mobil10w40.pdf

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic (Bora20)

ACK!I just read the PDF link...
At the bottom, the 1st sentence of the last paragraph states the Mobil 1 0W-40 is a petroleum base stock...
Older synthetics were petrol based but the actual PolyAlaphaticOlephins (PAOs) were sythesized from the petol bases...
Castrol wins, Mobil follows, and the consumer gets the shaft!
I think I'll switch to Amsoil...0W-30

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic (briang)

I will be using it in the Benz for sure, but I was wondering what the VW 500.00, 505.00 performance standards are?
I know that the 5W-40 is used in the TDI engines.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here is an email from the Canadian distributor:
Hi Dan,
I checked with Mobil’s engineering department to get an answer as Mobil does not make a 5W40 synthetic but does make a 0W40. Their recommendation was to use the 0W40 Mobil1. This is the grade they are supplying Mercedes dealers in the US and it is also the recommended oil for the new Audi’s and Porsches. The engineer told me that it’s the high temperature number that’s important (40) and whether it’s 0 or 5 doesn’t really make much difference.
I stock the 0W40 and it’s $6.55 a bottle and is packaged 6 to a case ($39.30). I ship anywhere in Canada so it’s not a problem to send, I’d estimate about $7.50 a case to ship.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
David

Here is a picture of the bottle and a quote from the http://www.mobil1.ca website:

Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 0W-40 is engineered to provide outstanding protection in high-tech European engines. Its fully synthetic formula provides excellent wear protection in high-temperature/hot-running engines.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic (GranTouring InjectedVR6)

I can get 0w-40, but it would be nice to only have to buy 1 grade of oil for both cars since I have to get it special ordered.
The Benz has to run it, I was just wondering if it would be fine with the VR6. I assume it would because it is a hot running, European engine.

·
Registered
27,736 Posts

0w40 is recommended by tons of people and manufacturers. But you can't find the ****e anywhere! I had to call Mobil and the nearest place that had it was on Long Island. I ran 15w50 last summer and it killed fuel economy and drove my temps up. I am going to go half 10/30, half 15/50 this summer. If anyone can find this crap on the east coast, holla!

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic (commonvw)

I am using Valvoline Synpower 5W40 full synthetic for the last 15K miles and no problems ... its nice and makes the engine run smoother. Valvoline seems to be the only oil in the 5W40 grade that I could find in full synthetic so started using it.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic (jettafanatic)

quote:[HR][/HR]"Valvoline Synpower 5W40 full synthetic "
Where are you guys finding this?
[HR][/HR]​
Call your local NAPA shop and give them the Valvoline part# (966 I think) and they will get it for you in a day or two. You have to give them the p# as they dont have it in their system.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 0W-40 Synthetic (jettafanatic)

I quote from the Valvoline Website:
SAE 5w40: Provides the widest range of protection available in the SynPower motor oil line. Delivers outstanding cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up. Provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where an API SJ or CF oil is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA A3/B3 and all preceeding API Gasoline Engine Oils. Meets or exceeds the engine performance requirements for BMW, Bentley, Corvette (GM4718M), Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Volkswagen, Volvo and other high performance vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.