VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you Mobil 1 fans looking for a 5W-40 oil that your recent VW owner's manual (at least in the US) says to use, there is now a 5W-40 product, called Mobil 1 Truck and SUV.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-Engli...0.asp
Many on TDIClub are of the opinion that it is simply rebottled Mobil Delvac 1, but available in the US in quarts (instead of 4 gallon cases) and at many more places than Mobil Delvac 1 is.
It has the API SL and SJ ratings for gasoline engines, and the API CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, and CF ratings for diesel engines. So it should be suitable for recent VW gasoline and diesel engines in the US, except the engines that do not accept oils that only have API ratings (such as the 2004 TDI engines that specify VW 505.01 rated oil only).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 now offers 5W-40 oil (tjl)

Thanks for the heads-up on another option. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Had my first oil change for my '03 TDI a little while back and settled on the Mobil 1 0W-40 since it was the only one I could find in my area that specifically said it met the 505.00, and couldn't find any that were CG-4 or CH-4. Didn't exactly understand why it was rated 505.00 but only CF instead of the CG-4 or CH-4 that VW said to look for if you only had API rated oils to choose from. What a fine way to spend the better part of a Saturday - driving around from store to store reading the fine print on oil bottles.
Parts store guy - "May I help you, Sir?"
Me - "Yeah, what do you have in a full synthetic 5w40 that meets VW 505.00?"
Parts store guy - "............
"

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Mobil 1 now offers 5W-40 oil (nosparkplugs)

Quote, originally posted by nosparkplugs »
Thanks for the heads-up on another option. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Had my first oil change for my '03 TDI a little while back and settled on the Mobil 1 0W-40 since it was the only one I could find in my area that specifically said it met the 505.00, and couldn't find any that were CG-4 or CH-4. Didn't exactly understand why it was rated 505.00 but only CF instead of the CG-4 or CH-4 that VW said to look for if you only had API rated oils to choose from. What a fine way to spend the better part of a Saturday - driving around from store to store reading the fine print on oil bottles.

There was no Wal Mart with Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (with API CH-4/SL ratings) in your area? The other possibility is the VW dealer with the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 or Castrol 505.01 5W-40 (both meet VW 505.00, but are expensive -- other grades of Castrol oils do not necessarily meet the ratings needed for TDI engines).
Note that those with 2004 TDI engines in the US need to use a VW 505.01 rated oil; API ratings are not sufficient. So far, only Castrol and Motul offer it in the US.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Funny how they don't say 5w-40 is recomended
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a 5W-40 viscosity grade product and is recommended by ExxonMobil where 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-40 lubricants are specified. Consult your owner's manual for specific manufacturer recommendations which may be required for warranty protection.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tjl »

There was no Wal Mart with Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (with API CH-4/SL ratings) in your area?

No, I wasn't in KC that weekend. I had gone home to northeast Missouri (My exact address there is halfway in between BFE and the middle of nowhere). Planing ahead is not my forte, so naturally I had not bought the stuff here. Lesson Learned. The local Wal-Mart is one of the old small ones. If memory serves the only thing that had in Rotella T was straight 30 weight, but don't quote me. Not many Dubs there, much less diesels. Probably due only to a sheer stroke of luck, or some clerk's ordering mistake that I found the filter. Plan ahead... must plan ahead... Oh well, I'll get around to that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Thanks for the info! I've been using Castrol 5w40 like the manual recomends. Good to have more options. Any idea where to purchase it?

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Mobil 1 now offers 5W-40 oil (4string)

Quote, originally posted by 4string »
Thanks for the info! I've been using Castrol 5w40 like the manual recomends. Good to have more options. Any idea where to purchase it?

People have been reporting seeing Mobil 1 Truck and SUV Formula 5W-40 in ordinary auto parts stores like Checker/Kragen/whatever. Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 can sometimes be found at truck stops, Caterpillar dealers, and places listed under "oil" in the phone book.
Don't forget that you can also get Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 at Wal Mart, often at $13 per gallon.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

The new 5W-40 truck oil is Delvac 1. The specs are the same. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
434 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 now offers 5W-40 oil (finklejag)

here in LA been using 5-30 and engine been running smooth since first oil change. start up the car and it just idle every so softly..
im not a an expert.. but some places , extreme cold/hot require different weights and such.. right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts