VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a FWD car right now. I'm haveing some major problems with mods down the line. For example lets say i turbo my VR6. I'm going to be looking at some major wheel spin at the track. There is always slicks but then it kinda defeats the purpose of a fwd car.
Rwd cars are great for power but also have that slipping issue plus were i am you can't drive them in the winter. They are great for power though.
Then i look at the AWD cars out there and i saw heh these would be perfect to mod (3000 gt vr4. audi s4, talon tsi, eclipse etc)
But i look at these potentiable super cars and see nothing but problems. drivetrains, turbos, transmision they all have some kind of major flaw.
So what i am basically getting to is how do you mod a car to be perfect?
Also what kind of problems do WRX's have other than not having the best interior

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: Mod ability issues with cars FWD AWD RWD (RocketVR6)

You get a rear wheel drive race/fun car, and a wet weather/winter car too.
J.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

If you're going to go AWD, you must get either:
1)1991 Audi 200 quattro
2)1992-94 Audi S4
3)1995 Audi S6
These are the Audis with the 20v turbo. This engine has the potential to get near 750hp without changing any engine internals. Not only that, but $3000 can get you over 400hp. The drivetrain, turbos, everything mechanical is top quality and won't break if you keep up on the maintainence. These cars are the european Toyota Supra TT (but with AWD).
I would not recommend any of the DSM AWD turbos (Talon, Eclipse) because these cars weren't built nearly as well. My stepbrother had a Talon TSi (1991) and went through a new turbo, a new center diff, and a new head to the engine before he finally sold it after a year. The 3000GT (and Stealth RT) suffer much the same problems, plus thier heavy boats.
Take it from me, you want a 20v turbo!!!

·
Banned
9,779 Posts

There is no perfect car. All performance cars are compromises in some area. Live with it, or get more than one car...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Re: Mod ability issues with cars FWD AWD RWD (Chris V)

Amen. RWD for a perfromance car, and FWD or AWD for a winter car (10 year old Range Rover are pretty cheap now!).
If you have problems with wheelspin on a RWD car its just because the car has poor weight distribution. Start out with a car that has good distribution and it isn't a problem. (50/50 is good - great handling too!)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Mod ability issues with cars FWD AWD RWD (John Mc)

Yeh i was leaning more audi because my friend has a 2000 S4 but then i hear turbos always break and transmisiions arn't great.
What does everyone think about the Lancer Evo VII?? I sawone in person this weekend and its one sick car. Also are there drivetrain issues with WRX as well?
Because the WRX looks like down the line it could have some massive potential.
As for the RWD for some reason i can't picute myself driving a supra in the spring/summer then pimping a ford fiesta in the winter lol

·
Registered
962 Posts

Have you actually driven a RWD car in the winter? It isn't that hard to do. It just has power oversteer - easily corrected and controlled. If you keep on the throttle like a lunkhead and don't correct the rear end will come around.
However, if you pull the same boneheaded tricks in a FWD car you'll have power understeer - and the car will determinedly plow straight ahead (or whichever way the road tilts) despite steering changes. They both have issues - RWD just needs a little more driver skill (built up in snowy parking lots!
).
Of course, your average run of the mill FWD has a heavy front weight distribution, so it tends to have a little bit better traction in the snow just due to this factor. And most cheap FWD cars have cheap narrow tires which do well in snow.
And some (but certainly not all) RWD also have a front weight bias (like a Camaro or Mustang). Combine this with the wide tires such cars have and the car won't do well at all.
Now a properly balanced RWD car (I've owned several old RWD Volvos, a BMW 318, a Miata) with narrower winter tires (nothing too special - just similar in width to econobox tire size) will do every bit as well as a FWD car - and better than many. I always made it up the hill to my house in the winter in my BMW 318 (an '83 model - certainly no traction control) while my roomate often had to walk up when his Accord couldn't make it.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts

Your friend has the worst model year S4 with the hackjob 2.7T engine. 2001 and up 2.7T's have a slight redesign and for 2003 the 2.7T is being replaced by the all-aluminum 4.2 in the allroad and probably the new S4 as well.
The 1991, 200 turbo quattro, urS4, and urS6 have the legendary inline-5. Those engines are built SOLID.
The Lancer Evo VI could barely beat out a 20 yearold Audi with bad valve guide seals on the BBC TopGear.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]ok i have a FWD car right now. I'm haveing some major problems with mods down the line. For example lets say i turbo my VR6. I'm going to be looking at some major wheel spin at the track. There is always slicks but then it kinda defeats the purpose of a fwd car.[HR][/HR]​
I'm going to assume you mean drag racing. There is an easy way to fix wheel spin, its called throttle modulation. One thing to remember though is that the VR6 is quite heavy. Strip the back of the cockpit, put some stiff-ass springs in the back and VIOLA! I've seen Caravans run mid-twelves with a similar set up, except they had air suspension in the back. Yeah, you're going to have to have slicks.
quote:[HR][/HR]Rwd cars are great for power but also have that slipping issue plus were i am you can't drive them in the winter. They are great for power though.[HR][/HR]​
Same goes for the RWD cars, but not really. You need to make the rear suspension REALLY soft and high, so when you accelerate, all the weight shifts to the back.
quote:[HR][/HR]Then i look at the AWD cars out there and i saw heh these would be perfect to mod (3000 gt vr4. audi s4, talon tsi, eclipse etc)
But i look at these potentiable super cars and see nothing but problems. drivetrains, turbos, transmision they all have some kind of major flaw.[HR][/HR]​
If you ever use and audi S4 as a drag racer, I swear to god I'll hunt you down.

On a lighter note, have you considered a GM? Typhoon maybe?
quote:[HR][/HR]So what i am basically getting to is how do you mod a car to be perfect?
Also what kind of problems do WRX's have other than not having the best interior
[HR][/HR]​
The perfect drag racer is none other than...
*drum roll*
The original Beetle! Thats right! With the engine practically hanging out of the rear, the bug has the perfect weight distribution for drag racing.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: Mod ability issues with cars FWD AWD RWD (RJetta8V)

I have heard that the transmissions in the WRX becomes a weak link at less than 400 hp. No clue what replacements are available, and aren't $15k.
An air cooled Bug makes a great drag car though, whether you keep the flat 4 or swap in flat 6, Audi V8, Ford or Chevrolet V8, etc.
J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts