VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: Any person, who decides to perform this modification, does so at their own risk.
I shall not be liable for any kind of damage, whether direct or indirect, resulting from use of
the information provided in this post.... Just don't do it!

There are many threads about how to disable the engine auto stop / start feature on new vehicles, this mod
is just one more way to do it, but more vehicle specific. I will leave at the end of this post links to other threads
that I found about this topic.

Parts:
  1. DROK 12 Volt Timer Relay: Amazon Link
  2. DROK 12 Volt Timer Relay: Instruction Manual
  3. Adecco Cloth Tape: Amazon Link
  4. Electric tape + soldering kit
    [*]24 Gauge Wires:
    Amazon Link

To supply power to the Timer Relay I splice the cables going to the 12V auxiliary power outlet ( Same connection I used for my radar detector)
the brown wire is the negative, Green with Red is the positive. Always check voltage with Multi-meter.

DROK 12 Volt Timer Relay Connection Diagram

More information about how to dissemble center console and access this wires on other vehicles can be found HERE.

There are many different way to connect this wires, I like to strip about 2 mm of the insulation on the wire with a knife,
solder the wires and cover with electrical tape. Then I wrap all the wiring with Cloth Tape.

I secured the Timer Relay module with Velcro.

Programming the Time Delay Module:
  1. Product Function: P-2
  2. T-1 ( Timer 1 = time module will wait to turn the relay on) at 30 sec.
  3. T-2 ( Timer 2 = time relay will remain active) at 0.1 sec.
  4. Mode C: Timer starts when module is power on, after 30 sec. relay activates for 0.1 sec.

Other Links:

SSAM Module Installation Instructions
SSAM Module Page link
Automatic Start Stop kill switch - The answer!! (Link 1) (Link 2)
Disable Start/Stop on Golf mkVII - VCDS tweak
Disable Start / Stop (MK2 Tiguan OBDeleven / VCDS Tweaks)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just disable it using coding? It's a proven method on other MQB platform VWs and costs nothing. Just a one-line code change in the Gateway module.
2 reasons:
  1. It will cause a permanent warning in the display panel... they may try to fix at the dealer during service.
  2. I can turn the Auto Stop/Start back on when ever I choose to by pressing again the Auto stop/start button.

·
Registered
337 Posts
2 reasons:
  1. It will cause a permanent warning in the display panel... they may try to fix at the dealer during service.
  2. I can turn the Auto Stop/Start back on when ever I choose to by pressing again the Auto stop/start button.
Nothing shows in my display that the auto start/stop is coded off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Neat hack but I also think vagcom change is the simplest way.
Surely it seems a better option than dismantling part of the instrument cluster, finding a place to secure the box, hacking in to the factory wiring harness then programming the box and hoping that where I placed it doesn't cause a button to get pressed and change the settings.
It seems you're connecting to switched ignition power and when it comes on you're waiting 30s then having the box press the Auto Start/Stop button via the harness. There seems to be a failure mode if you park, the engine shuts off but accessory power says on, when you start the engine again the box will no fire and you're back to needing to press the button manually.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Doing the voltage method using OBDeleven / VCDS the car display something like this:

I read same issue on other post. same goes if you disconnect a cable by the battery (GTI MK 7 Models)... if the Auto S/S is not ready to be used while activated,
it will show on the display panel that the system is not ready.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems you're connecting to switched ignition power and when it comes on you're waiting 30s then having the box press the Auto Start/Stop button via the harness. There seems to be a failure mode if you park, the engine shuts off but accessory power says on, when you start the engine again the box will no fire and you're back to needing to press the button manually.

I have key-less entry on my car, once you hit the Stop (Start/Stop) button... ignition turns off, accessories turn off - if
I restart - Engine turns on, accessories turn on... 30 sec later Auto S/S deactivates.

Tested also with the Remote Start and it works great (accessory is off until you press brakes + Start button = start engine... 30 sec later Auto S/S deactivates)

So this works OK if you have key-less entry... I cant really say how this module will behave on other cars.

Other modules are available, anti-SSA module for example, about $40 on ebay... this ones remembers the last state of the Auto S/S...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Doing the voltage method using OBDeleven / VCDS the car display something like this:

I read same issue on other post. same goes if you disconnect a cable by the battery... if the Auto S/S is not ready to be used while activated,
That icon is not there all the time, just when you're stopped and the feature would have wanted to engage. Seems minor to me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why everyone is disabling the feature? For me, I personally love it. I rent a lot of cars with it and when I test drove the Tiguan, I love it
Engineer90 posted 2 videos at The Car Lounge that basically can explain better why some people do not like Auto S/S

Video: Why Not to Buy a Car with Stop/Start Technology
Video: The truth about engine stop start systems

I personally think We "The Car Owner" should be able to deactivate this feature permanent without modifications just like any other feature on the new cars, I really don't like
when I have to deactivate a feature every single time I start the car, is very annoying.

·
Registered
337 Posts

I read same issue on other post. same goes if you disconnect a cable by the battery... if the Auto S/S is not ready to be used while activated,
Mines coded off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Mines coded off.
Doesn't turn on when your car comes to a full stop?
Do you have instructions on how to do it?
What car do you have?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Nothing shows in my display that the auto start/stop is coded off.

Right. The voltage threshold coding mod should not trigger a display warning, but I haven't verified this on a Tig with digital cockpit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Manual coding.

Module 19 Gateway --> Start/stop start voltage limit --> change voltage from 7.6 V to 12.1 V
That is the one I try on my car. (I have OBDeleven ) .. possible VW did an upgrade on the 2019 vehicles? I will like to know what others have to say about it.

Still... I want to be able to activate the Auto S/S with a push of a button.

·
Registered
599 Posts
why everyone is disabling the feature? For me, I personally love it. I rent a lot of cars with it and when I test drove the Tiguan, I love it
First of all, stopping the engine in traffic is illegal in many states.
It means you can't get out of the way if some emergency happens.
Second is that starting the engine is extremely hard on everything.
That is when almost all bearing wear happens because there is no oil pressure for a few seconds.
Starters also quickly wear out.
And you will use more gas recharging the battery than you could have saved by having the engine off for a few seconds.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also on the negative side, it encourages bad driving habits, or at least it did for me when I had a rental car with stop start. I didn't know there was a way to turn it off, so in order to make the vehicle not shut off at stops signs, it couldn't be brought to a full stop. In order to make sure it was ready to go when a light turned green, the brake has to be let off early so the stupid thing will start and be ready to move with traffic. It just seems wrong to not allow the engine some time to get the oil flowing, etc. before stepping on the accelerator.

Can the VW dealer permanently disable the stop/start feature? I'm well aware of aftermarket programmers (I have one for my diesel truck), but one of the main reasons we bought the Tig was that I do not have to work on it for 72,000 miles! I will do nothing that might jeopardize that freedom from busted knuckles. Once the warranty runs out its a different story, but I'd rather not wait that long to fix this problem feature.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Can the VW dealer permanently disable the stop/start feature? I'm well aware of aftermarket programmers (I have one for my diesel truck), but one of the main reasons we bought the Tig was that I do not have to work on it for 72,000 miles! I will do nothing that might jeopardize that freedom from busted knuckles. Once the warranty runs out its a different story, but I'd rather not wait that long to fix this problem feature.
A dealer will not disable this "feature" for legal reasons, because it is part of the emissions system. The primary purpose of having an auto start/stop system is to game the emissions testing procedure.
However, it can be permanently disabled with VCDS, ODB11, or Carista (and maybe other tools too). You just need a tool that can access controller "adaptation channels" It can also be manually controller with the switch IF you install a little circuit board from eBay that "remembers" whether it was on or off when you restart the car.

Have Fun!

Don

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.