VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i'm BRAND new to the mk2 mod world......
i have a white 1992 golf sitting in the driveway...it's mine now...it's completely stock...mom got into one little accident and the back fender panel is a little dented with rust, and a hole in the side of the rear bumper...about 4 inches in diameter..
i have to replace the battery to get it running, and there's a new exhaust system sitting in the hatch...the hatch doesnt stay open...probably a problem with the pneumatics on the inside..engine is stock..radiator was just replaced..some battery leakage on the inside of the car..just evidence of it, no damage to the car i dont think...

but basically..there are a few problems....
i want to mod it to look better....been reading up on VWvortex for a while lookin at pictures and reading about mk2's and such...learning basically...
the thing is..i don't know how to do ANYTHING...i'm 19 and a mech. engineering major....wanna do all this **** on my own....work to buy the parts....replace **** on my own...add-remove..all that kinda stuff...i wanna do all of it...
This is what i want to do:
- Paint it navy blue, take the black siding off, paint the bumpers navy blue..i dunno what kinda bumpers would look good.but i dont think i want the black stock ones on there...
- put it on 17's or 18's, and drop it...
- convert from the rectangular lights to the quad lights...
- put some side flares..i think that's what they're called...but basically to make it look lower to the ground..
- front flares i dont think i want.....
- i want the 'mad look' eyelids..
- and a new radio system..
basically what i wanted from you guys were reccomendations....pictures.... prices....how to's.....ANYTHING that can help me get on my way....
i search the forums like i said before and it's gold.....a lot of quality stuff on here...
thanks if anyone can help me out.....
heh sorry for the LONG ass post by the way...
- Trini

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
addendum

To make this shorter....
For everyone out there: where should i start, and what should i start mod'ing on my stock 92 golf..
think back to the first car you ever modded...or the first golf u modded....whatever....i just need a bunch of tips.....i know NOTHING......

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
My advice to you is to start with the engine. When I first got into dubs, I was all psyched like you to make it look hot as hell, but then I realized that a hot car was nothing without the balls to back it up. I don't know what kind of engine you have, so I can't really make any suggestions about that, but fix the stuff that's bothering you, like the broken hatch and the rear fender. Basically, just do what you need to do to make it look decent, focus on the engine, then start worrying about suspension, and lastly styling. Just my opinion and advice. To get started, read the FAQ at the top, there's a lot of good info in there, along with links to a bunch of online stores where you can find all kinds of goodies to put on your car. Hope this helps you!
P.S. I'm a 19 y.o. Mech E, too, where do you go to school?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (yem_icculus)

thanks good advice....i'm at Univ. of Maryland.
the engine is fine, only about 50k miles and only been used to drive about 15 miles daily...
by the way, when it goes over a pothole or sumthin...i hear a loud "BANG" from the back ....i'm thinkin its the suspension...so yeh i'm gonna change everything i guess thats technical.....then i'll start with the aesthetics....
thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Re: (TriniKid)

This is just me but I would start with what needs to be fixed. Any of the rust, dents, bodywork or anything like that. Then once you get all that fixed up I would start modding. Thats just me though. Im picking up my first MKII on thursday hopefully and I cant wait. Hopefully everythings in working order then im starting with suspension and just tune-up just to make sure it runs good.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

welcome aboard. First thing first you need to take care of all mechanical
problems . Then i would take care of that suspension change all the
bushings bumpstops etc that should get you your LOW look and get rid of the banging in the rear. also watch the regional events forums and go to some local shows talk to people check out other cars and shop arround Your best bet is take a ride over to Waterfest in a couple weeks. Good Luck

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (pr4ctic4l)

makes perfect sense....
dont wanna paint over any dents and rust.....
i think this should be fun...
by the way if you wanna do everything yourself.....is the Bentley book and tools all you really need???
is the Bentley that efficient and thorough?

Modified by TriniKid at 12:06 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: (pr4ctic4l)

Quote, originally posted by pr4ctic4l »
This is just me but I would start with what needs to be fixed.

I'd take that advice. If I could start over, given no major problems to fix, I would work on suspension first. Also, a good set of tires is a great place to start, if the car doesn't already have them. A free flowing exhaust is always a good choice, but I would save your money and skip the stainless steel, try an aluminized system instead. Techtonics probably has the best one going, according to GRM anyway. I really think that suspension tuning would give you the best bang for your buck, if you're starting out with the stock suspension, unless you're really out to do some drag racing or something.
That's my two cents. And here's an extra penny: I wouldn't go over 16" on those wheels, I just don't think it's worth the money, nor does it look good.
(flame away)
enjoy

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TriniKid »
by the way if you wanna do everything yourself.....is the Bentley book and tools all you really need???
is the Bentley that efficient and thorough?
For everything but paint
The bentley is the factory repair manual that dealers used up until the mid 90s (But they STILL have to use it for older cars
) It'll tell you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: (DubG60)

Ya know - Im kinda glad I didnt have tonso money when I was 19 - Id have a hideous car...
wait - my Golf is Hideous.
Wait - I could had this car whne I was 19..
Anyways - fic the broken stuff first - suspension, exhaust, hatch struts etc.
Get so the car is "stock" looking but will beat the pants off those "show no go" rice cars.. then do the mods..
You would be SURPRISED what a "full stock" MKII can do.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Re: (ewongkaizen)

Quote, originally posted by ewongkaizen »
fix the broken stuff first .

YES! about 99% of people who want to mod there cars don't get that.
Can't go wrong with an intake and chip, those are easy mods that you can squeeze some HP out of

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Re: (GermanWannaB)

Allright.... here's my 2 cents.... function not fashion. A good looking car is useless if it runs like crap. Spend money getting it running TOP NOTCH stock. Any mods you do will only add half of what they can to the car if it isn'y running well to begin with. As for the body... a respray is a good idea. Soudns like body work would be minimal. Lemme tell you what I'm doing to my new car to give you an idea. New subject: 1991 GTI 8v. It's got some problems mechanically. I will be fixing anything and everything mechanical that I can to start with so it runs perfect. Then I'll drive it stock while I save money for an engine swap (2.0 ABA). I chose this engine because of it's potential. Easy to modify for a decent price, and it's great for FI. After that comes the suspension. Nothing too low and harsh. Just a good stiffness that won't kill me on bumps, yet holds well in the twisties. Wheels are a must at this point. No bigger than 15's IMO. After this, body work. Keepin' it fairly stock. Respray Tornado Red with a pearlcoat added to make it sexy looking. Bumpers restored to a good black shine. All lighting changed to smoked (tails, bananas, indicators) and headlamps swaped for black crosshairs. Interior is gonna stay stock except for stereo. Blaupunkt headunit with in dash 5 disc changer, stock speakers and the addition of an infinity basslink for added boom. I don't turn it up real loud, and I don't care if people across town can here it. Function over fashion right here. If it sounds good in the cab, thats all that matters. All this and I'm done. Don't know if that helps you get ideas at all, but I hope so.

Modified by mplsvwgolfMKII at 11:51 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Re: Mod MK2 Virgin.... (TriniKid)

my advice. dont get cheap on modding, especially in the engine/drivetrain area or itll bite ya in the a$$ in the end. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (mplsvwgolfMKII)

Quote, originally posted by mplsvwgolfMKII »
Allright.... here's my 2 cents.... function not fashion. A good looking car is useless if it runs like crap. Spend money getting it running TOP NOTCH stock. Any mods you do will only add half of what they can to the car if it isn'y running well to begin with. As for the body... a respray is a good idea. Soudns like body work would be minimal. Lemme tell you what I'm doing to my new car to give you an idea. New subject: 1991 GTI 8v. It's got some problems mechanically. I will be fixing anything and everything mechanical that I can to start with so it runs perfect. Then I'll drive it stock while I save money for an engine swap (2.0 ABA). I chose this engine because of it's potential. Easy to modify for a decent price, and it's great for FI. After that comes the suspension. Nothing too low and harsh. Just a good stiffness that won't kill me on bumps, yet holds well in the twisties. Wheels are a must at this point. No bigger than 15's IMO. After this, body work. Keepin' it fairly stock. Respray Tornado Red with a pearlcoat added to make it sexy looking. Bumpers restored to a good black shine. All lighting changed to smoked (tails, bananas, indicators) and headlamps swaped for black crosshairs. Interior is gonna stay stock except for stereo. Blaupunkt headunit with in dash 5 disc changer, stock speakers and the addition of an infinity basslink for added boom. I don't turn it up real loud, and I don't care if people across town can here it. Function over fashion right here. If it sounds good in the cab, thats all that matters. All this and I'm done. Don't know if that helps you get ideas at all, but I hope so.

Modified by mplsvwgolfMKII at 11:51 PM 7-1-2003

that seems like a good idea....seems like exactly the steps that i'll be taking except i'm gonna spray it navy blue with crystal clears all over...
question: how much do you think all that would cost? minus the rims.
To do list:
bang out dent
fix rust
fix hatch struts
fix suspension
replace exhaust *right now it releases this grey/blue smoke*
respray including bumpers and siding.
sound system
wheels
in that order...seems to be fine enuff for me.
only want one body mod and thats an eyebrow for the lights...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way...another question:
Where do you guys do all this work on ure cars? i don't have a garage....and i don't have tools...but i dont wanna pay some mechanic $80/hour for **** that i can do myself...(with tools, space, and a bentley)
so is there anyone out there thats in my situation? i'm startin from scratch...i can do this stuff in my driveway, i just need the tools to do it...what do i need?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TriniKid »

replace exhaust *right now it releases this grey/blue smoke*

Um - that dont sound good - grey blue smoke is usually burning oil - pas the rings or past the valve seals...
as far as DIY - you'll need ta hook up w/ somone who has tools. You'll be payin back for the training with loads of favors etc..
can be done in the driveway - you'll just need someone ta show ya how.
oh yeah - dont EVER think yer gonna be DONE....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (ewongkaizen)

Quote, originally posted by ewongkaizen »

Um - that dont sound good - grey blue smoke is usually burning oil - pas the rings or past the valve seals...
as far as DIY - you'll need ta hook up w/ somone who has tools. You'll be payin back for the training with loads of favors etc..
can be done in the driveway - you'll just need someone ta show ya how.
oh yeah - dont EVER think yer gonna be DONE....

yeh i think ure right... i think i remember lookin it up and i read that it could be valve seals/rings....but i dunno how to change those...i think i asked a mechanic and he told me it would cost a lot cuz he'd have to take the engine apart or sum ****..just to replace some damn rings....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
by the way i'll put pictures up soon to show u guys what i'm workin with...and to help me out a little bit....

·
Banned
1,566 Posts

If you don't know how to work on interior head and block components, I wouldn't recommend trying it without someone who knows this stuff like the back of their hand helping you. You can really screw your car up bad. As for the cost of all these things, here's a breakdown:
bang out dent- find a small family owned body shop near you. cost you about 30 bucks maybe.
fix rust- again, small shop. cost depends on wether it needs sanding, or welding in new material.
fix hatch struts- Junkyard. 10 bucks a set.
fix suspension- Depends on what you want. Coilovers= a grand or more. Cup Kit= probably spend about 500 bucks. Stock= Get it used from someone. Not bad at all. (thats what I'm doing for now. Then I'll get a cup kit. I don't need adjustability, just a little lowering with decent stiffness.)
replace exhaust- Check out whats causing that smoking. Probably not the exhaust. Stock exhaust from the dealership here is about 225 for a whole kit -cat. I'd get a eurosport. Whole kit is well priced.
http://www.eurosportacc.com
respray including bumpers and siding.- Small shop again. Mine will be about 500-700 bucks for a full respray, not including trim. I think it looks funny all painted.
sound system- Blaupunkt head used- $200.00. Infinity basslink on ebay-$185.00.
wheels- Depends. It's up to what you wanna spend. I am looking into getting corrado steelies maybe. $46 bucks apiece at tirerack.com.

Modified by mplsvwgolfMKII at 2:07 PM 7-3-2003

1 - 20 of 32 Posts