VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could probably be moved to the DIY section.
After reading about the mods to disable ASR on older VW models using a capacitor, I thought I'd try a similar ESP disable mod on my 2006 Jetta.
This mod turns ESP OFF by default when starting the car. It can still be enabled or disabled later by pressing the ESP button. The only catch is there is about a 4 second delay when ESP goes from OFF to ON. There is no delay going from ESP ON to OFF.
By trial and error I got it to work using a 1000uF capacitor from Radio Shack. I tried using smaller capacitors, but 1000uF was the smallest size that worked for me. (220uF was too small, but 500uF, might be worth a try.) The capacitor goes in parallel with the push button switch.
Here are the basic instructions (some taken from the eBahn manual.) Sorry for the blurry photos. That's the best a cheap camera phone could do.
Carefully pry off shift boot from center console. Can be done with bare hands if persistent. Insert key and put DSG shifter in S position. Apply parking brake. Pull back the shifter cover.
Remove the 2 screws using an allen hex wrench.
Disconnect the ESP switch connector by pushing the white release latch and wiggling it a bit.
Carefully push out the ESP switch from the frame. There are one or two metal retaining tabs that are easy to lose. I saved only one and didn't bother to replace it. The button stays in place, although it's a bit looser than before.
This part can be done indoors away from the car. Using a small flat blade screwdriver or pointed awl, pry out the white plastic base of the button, exposing the circuit board and rubber cover. Remove the rubber piece. Solder two insulated solid wires to the board. The board with wires attached looks like this:

After soldering, push the insulation up to the edge of each solder joint.
Using a wire cutter, clip off some of the black plastic in the center groove leaving an opening for the wires like this:

Place the rubber button piece back over the circuit board. Bend the wires flat against the side of the white base and snap it back into the black plastic cover.
Solder the capacitor to the wires. The right (outside) wire goes to the postive side of the capacitor. The left (inside) wire goes to the negative. See photo. Polarity is important with electrolytic capacitors. Completely cover exposed wire with black insulated tape.
Back inside the car, push the finished switch assembly from the top back into the switch frame of the car. There should be enough room for the wires and capacitor to fit somewhere. Plug in the white connector from below. Reattach the screws and the shift boot.
Turn the key and the ESP should go OFF after about a second. It will stay off until you push the ESP button again. After pushing it, there will be about a 2 second delay before ESP goes ON again. There must be at least 5 seconds between button pushes to allow for the capacitor to recharge. Press the ESP button again and the ESP will go OFF immediately.
Disclaimer: Drive safe. Disable ESP only when driving conditions are appropriate. This mod might affect your warranty.

Modified by turbonium618 at 8:19 PM 3-9-2007

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sounds like someone took an electronics engineering class.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
Highly documented in the MKIV forum.
Also highly documented is failures of the switch over time for some odd reason.

I didn't see any mods there for the V models or ESP. That's why I posted it here. The IV mod I read used a much smaller capacitor.
Maybe the failures are due to connecting the capacitor with the wrong polarity. Eventually it could short out which would make the switch useless.

Modified by turbonium618 at 11:52 PM 3-8-2007

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Re: (OGSN0)

Quote, originally posted by OGSN0 »
just wondering, is there a way to remove the delay for both ways? (ON to OFF & OFF to ON?)

not without a more complex circuit. the capacitor has to charge up which is why there is a delay. when you turn it off, it releases its charge almost instanly which is why there is no delay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (glydingsoul)

Quote, originally posted by glydingsoul »

not without a more complex circuit. the capacitor has to charge up which is why there is a delay. when you turn it off, it releases its charge almost instanly which is why there is no delay.

Maybe for ON to OFF, the ECU responds to the the switch closing (button press), but for OFF to ON it responds to the switch opening (button release). Without the capacitor, both happen equally fast. With the capacitor, the opening happens at the capacitor's charge rate.
Someone without this mod could test that theory. See if the ESP OFF to ON happens when you first press the button or after you release it.

Modified by turbonium618 at 12:25 PM 3-9-2007

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Jim Dangle)

Quote, originally posted by Jim Dangle »
So.. this mod.. is basically so you dont have to push the esp button to turn it off?

Yep. I like to drive with ESP off if the roads are dry, which is most of the time. I think it robs power at the wrong times, especially accelerating into turns.
It's easy to forget to press the ESP button. If you press it too soon it sometimes doesn't take and you have to push it again. In other words its a pain to have to push it every time the car is started.
I like not having to think about it. Laziness is the mother of invention. I didn't invent this mod, http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to whoever did.

Modified by turbonium618 at 8:10 PM 3-9-2007

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: Mod to Disable ESP by Default on 2006 Jetta (turbonium618)

Quote, originally posted by turbonium618 »
This could probably be moved to the DIY section.
After reading about the mods to disable ASR on older VW models using a capacitor, I thought I'd try a similar ESP disable mod on my 2006 Jetta.
This mod turns ESP OFF by default when starting the car. It can still be enabled or disabled later by pressing the ESP button. The only catch is there is about a 4 second delay when ESP goes from OFF to ON. There is no delay going from ESP ON to OFF.
By trial and error I got it to work using a 1000uF capacitor from Radio Shack. I tried using smaller capacitors, but 1000uF was the smallest size that worked for me. (220uF was too small, but 500uF, might be worth a try.) The capacitor goes in parallel with the push button switch.
Here are the basic instructions (some taken from the eBahn manual.) Sorry for the blurry photos. That's the best a cheap camera phone could do.
Carefully pry off shift boot from center console. Can be done with bare hands if persistent. Insert key and put DSG shifter in S position. Apply parking brake. Pull back the shifter cover.
Remove the 2 screws using an allen hex wrench.
Disconnect the ESP switch connector by pushing the white release latch and wiggling it a bit.
Carefully push out the ESP switch from the frame. There are one or two metal retaining tabs that are easy to lose. I saved only one and didn't bother to replace it. The button stays in place, although it's a bit looser than before.
This part can be done indoors away from the car. Using a small flat blade screwdriver or pointed awl, pry out the white plastic base of the button, exposing the circuit board and rubber cover. Remove the rubber piece. Solder two insulated solid wires to the board. The board with wires attached looks like this:

After soldering, push the insulation up to the edge of each solder joint.
Using a wire cutter, clip off some of the black plastic in the center groove leaving an opening for the wires like this:

Place the rubber button piece back over the circuit board. Bend the wires flat against the side of the white base and snap it back into the black plastic cover.
Solder the capacitor to the wires. The right (outside) wire goes to the postive side of the capacitor. The left (inside) wire goes to the negative. See photo. Polarity is important with electrolytic capacitors. Completely cover exposed wire with black insulated tape.
Back inside the car, push the finished switch assembly from the top back into the switch frame of the car. There should be enough room for the wires and capacitor to fit somewhere. Plug in the white connector from below. Reattach the screws and the shift boot.
Turn the key and the ESP should go OFF after about a second. It will stay off until you push the ESP button again. After pushing it, there will be about a 2 second delay before ESP goes ON again. There must be at least 5 seconds between button pushes to allow for the capacitor to recharge. Press the ESP button again and the ESP will go OFF immediately.
Disclaimer: Drive safe. Disable ESP only when driving conditions are appropriate. This mod might affect your warranty.

Modified by turbonium618 at 8:19 PM 3-9-2007

I must be lost......I can;t figure out why this would be so important a MOD to do. If you can turn it on or off with a button currently, who cares if you can turn it off for good. Matter of fact why would you ! Does it work well in the rain?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
This is basically an RC charging circuit. The capacitor is holding the terminal at a "low" state for a time that is equal to the charging time of the cap. So, theoretically, you are causing a "short" of some kind for a short period of time. Perhaps that is why the MK IV setup has common failure of some kind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (ywang98)

Quote, originally posted by ywang98 »
This is basically an RC charging circuit. The capacitor is holding the terminal at a "low" state for a time that is equal to the charging time of the cap. So, theoretically, you are causing a "short" of some kind for a short period of time. Perhaps that is why the MK IV setup has common failure of some kind.

It's no more of a short than what happens when you push the button. It's the equivalent of pressing the button before turning the key and releasing after 4 seconds.

Modified by turbonium618 at 5:33 PM 3-10-2007

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.