VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the stock 1.8T cat converters flow one way?...To save a little labor I'm planning to cut the cat section off of a stock 1.8T DP and have it rotated to mate onto the new 3" dp (flipping it 180°). This way I can save the second O2 bung for the cat temperature.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (Don R)

haha, in in my world it would work opposite... Terribly polluting the universe... (except during cold starts of course)
haha. Good question *bump*

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (judoGTI)

What happened to your GHL cat Don? Did you finally ditch ATPs 75mm DP and get something custom fabbed like Chris' V-band setup?

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (evilpat)

No..no...I'm moding one for a buddy of mine with the stock turrbo.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (Don R)

3" downpipe + stock cat + stock turbo = melted cat???
i asked about this a while back and several people responded that it was a bad idea and in one instance someone melted their cat. i wanted to have a 3"dp, then a y-section for an e-cutout, then the stock cat.
as for the stock cat being reversible i couldn't tell ya.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (cdubgti)

i actually have a pipe for sale that goes from a 3" DP to the stock cat, ATP makes it...but then again im thinking this might get ride of the cat compelety and just go right to the b section of the exhaust..here is a link to the product click

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (dubbin_smurf)

I never know atp makes an adapter that goes from their 3" dp to the stock cat...the stock dp and cat is in one piece, and i just know atp dp comes with a race section that will get rid of the dp and go to stock resonator. Maybe they really do make the adapter, but not that I know.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (Penny)

actually i went and looked at it and it elimates the cat. this peiece goes form the dp to the b-pipe..its got a bung welded into this peice so thats why im guessing it gets ride of the cat

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (cdubgti)

Quote, originally posted by cdubgti »
3" downpipe + stock cat + stock turbo = melted cat???
i asked about this a while back and several people responded that it was a bad idea and in one instance someone melted their cat. i wanted to have a 3"dp, then a y-section for an e-cutout, then the stock cat.

The only instance I have heard where someone POSSIBLY melted the stock cat was greg from FM when he was testing stuff years ago. The stock cats are metal.. If you melt one you have much bigger issues. I've seen the pics of gregs melted cat it is only at the edge, his cat was cut and welded.. to me it looks like it was melted when it was welded.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Modifying 3" DP to fit stock Cat converter.... (chris86vw)

Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »

The only instance I have heard where someone POSSIBLY melted the stock cat was greg from FM when he was testing stuff years ago. The stock cats are metal.. If you melt one you have much bigger issues. I've seen the pics of gregs melted cat it is only at the edge, his cat was cut and welded.. to me it looks like it was melted when it was welded.

interesting to hear.. thanks.
so did the creator of this thread decide on if it's a good idea to do this or not? i am still looking into this as i would like to run atp's t3t4 dp, dump tube with e-cutout, into the stock cat and catback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts