VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, the car runs 9.90 in the 1/4 as it sits. but we think we are leaving some on the table with the current setup.

standard entry level CXRacing AWIC core setup. core measuring 4.5 x 4.5. car is 4cyl making > 600 AWHP (800 plus at the crank) on a 4cyl 20v 1.8T. 500 gph pump with 12 gal reservoir for ice water.

but this is one change of a few to get that weight down some. this change is multifold, but this phase is all fabrication related. the goal is to drop about 70 lbs from the car, increase efficiency of cooling, and > double flow for chilled water.

the fab work is a collaboration. i make patterns and templates, and Justin (nubVR) does all of the final fab and welding.

new reservoir is ~3 gal. just makes ice addition every round instead of twice a track day. this alone nets us at least 60 pounds weight loss on the car weight overall. the pump is upsizing from 500 GPH to 1100 GPH. and the lines are up from -10AN to -12 AN.

and a new intake manifold as well..... going from homebrew (which works really well for us to date) to an actual engineered manifold. we shall see what happens with this, but the existing manifold was flowed in Solidworks and did pretty well for built at home with no education in this field. we are go fast guys who do fab and construction, not engineers.

on to some pictures....

modifying the brand new AWIC to fit where we need it.

this is existing with new manifold.

option one, with 90 in silicone out the top (we did not go this route)

option 2 with the outlets out the side of new redesigned endtanks (the route we are going)

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first thing, i cut off the endtanks on the brand new AWIC.

this is the core mounted in position.

next, fab up some endtanks out of cardboard, and take them to the fabricator of this insanity. (NUBVR). i drop it off, a few days go by and he tells me to come pick up and check it out.

here is the outlet side endtank. we are redirecting the flow pattern, so we need to redesign the tanks. also the inlet/outlets are on the front instead of the ends.... with transitioned edges/corners, we can help the flow go more smoothly than with sharp perpendicular edges.

and how they look in/on the car. notice the smooth transition following the path of flow...

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doin some fittin n stuff.

i think i have the inlet tube into endtank figured. waiting on the silicone for the outlet tube.

once i get those parts, i make final fab decisions and tack stuff together. send back to Nubworks for final weldout.

stopped by today, dropped off a 90 that wouldnt work, picked up a 60 and 90 to trial fit. cut the crap out of the 60 and tossin it in the bin. returnin the 90 and goin straight out with a 45 silicone. this kind of fab work takes a bit of time and creativity. its nothing straight forward.

but it is fun.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah. while there today, i marked up the new reservoir for the ports.... those will get welded from the inside for a clean look. once it is done, then i will get the lid cut out and pictures taken.

and just wait til the new "tags" show up. will be righteous....

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool man, I was wondering how you run your lines with the pump being submersible and how you keep the reservoir sealed so when you launch that beast it doesnt spill it all over?
I have used other pumps but never a submersible one, which are way cheaper than the external ones.
the reservoir is accessible thru the lid. it is a boat deck inspection port. 6" opening to fill ice in, 1/2" drain in the bottom for draining water when i need to add ice.

this one is 12 gal, going much smaller now. and the lines are welded in ports in the side of the tank. pump feed outlet and return line.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got a couple of the silicones so i decided to route the outlet to the throttle body.

have not decided yet if i am even going to use a BOV or not. but if i do, thats probably where it will end up.

but, nice and smooth flow for the charge air to follow. no hard bends, tight radius's, 90's, etc.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
swing on by....

ok. i spent about an hour out there... visited my main fabricator Justin..... picked up the endtanks :)

and its all ready to go back for FINAL WELDOUT! i may do some adjustments to the outflow endtank (actually i will) as it is gapped more now than previously.... no big deal.

3.5" off turbo to the AWIC, and short run 3" to the 75mm TB. all flow turns are 45 degrees....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts