VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 Scirocco Slegato 8V. Currently I have the following mods: 276 Cam, header, Audi TB, 2.25 exhast, neuspeed lower tie bar, neuspeed rear 28mm swaybar, Sachs lowering springs & boge pro-gas shox,early 15" Corrado rims with 195-50-15 V rated tires. My dyno shows 95hp + 97 torque to the wheels(with old oil and no tune-up). I currently have but not on the car 4K tranny & weber TB which will go on as soon as I have a peloquin shim kit and a lightened and balance flywheel. I am thinking of Port and Polishing my head at a later time. When this is done I dont know what else to do that is cost effective with the car. I dont want a drag racer I just want a half decent car, I use it for the track once in a while. I want to keep my car a 1.8L, I know I could go for 2L bottom end but I'd like to be a quick little 1.8L. Any suggestions?
Thanx

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Re: Modifying my Rocco (Slegato)

>smart a$s mode on<
you could put a slightly modded 16v into it, it would still be a 1.8l but would now have closer to 120hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Modifying my Rocco (JoshmkII)

I was actually considering that a while ago but given the high cost of 16V parts and also the re-wiring of the car wasnt really worth the cost. I am also afraid that after such a conversion I might get some problems with the car. My car has never developed any probs in the past five years. I dont think I will go 16V. Plus even if I do I would have to start over with the mods...cams, header etc.. I think its better if I stay 8V.
Thanx...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

How about edge nife crank does that make a difference? Anyone done it?

·
Registered
675 Posts

Get yourself some 10:1 pistons. don't bother with thte knife edgiing unless you're going racing.
Steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Modifying my Rocco (Scirocco#28)

When I get my head port and polished i will also shave the head to make at least 10:1 compression. I was just wondering how big of a difference edge knifed crank will make on the car.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

It is my understanding that a knife edge crank will give the results of a lightend flywheel. The engine will rev up and down quicker, but may be too much for a street application. Because coupled with a lightend flywheel, you may have to floor it to get going from a stop, because the motor has less inertia to get going.
correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Re: Modifying my Rocco (benraldo the ho)

The cranks I have seen knife edged don't have enoughh material removed from them to qualify as much of a weight saving thing. MAybe a little bit. I think the main point behind it is to create less drag as the crank counterweights spin through the oil in the pan.
Steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx guys for the input. A little weight reduction will do magic as well...Euro bumpers maybe, also changing the stock seats to sparco sprints which are light weight will help..

·
Registered
274 Posts

WAIT!!! Your car is only putting out 95hp, after all of those mods? Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but don't most 8v's come with 90hp stock? So, if that is true, after all that money, and mods, you've only gained 5hp? WTF??? I think it's time to sell the 8v, and get a 16v.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Modifying my Rocco (Aw614)

Its to the wheels not at the crank. Thats about 111hp & 113 torque at the crank. A stock 90hp engine in a 94 Golf CL with cone filter and exhaust seen on the dyno was pushing 77hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: Modifying my Rocco (Scirocco#28)

this is how much we shave off of our cranks. works well when all other rotating components are lightened and balanced along with it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Re: Modifying my Rocco (Schrick GTX)

Nice crank. Thats a lot more than the ones that Ive seen. The ones Ive sen have just been machined to a peak instead tapered all the way up.
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts