VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: Mods on a budget (Golf_kris)

DON'T get a chip cause bang-for-your-buck it isn't...first thing you want to do is get some 'bolt on' suspension stuff (front/rear sway bars, and front strut bar)...you can check with your stealership about getting the VW approved Eibach springs installed. They will cost you too much and the dealer will have to install them, but it is the only way i know of that you can get springs that won't void your warranty. I guess you could put on other aftermarket stuff and then take them off when you turn in your lease but that will cost more $$ in the long run.
i guess you could also pick up a spare air box (about $50 from someone on this forum) and swiss cheese it. that will give you a bit more hp and an nice growl.
other than that, just don' t put on anything you can't take off.
good luck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I live in CA so I'm thinking about getting a tt 266 cam w/ a p-chip...plus a 28mm rear adjustable to help w/ the body roll..thoughts on the chip/cam combo? Where is tt's site anyway...I did a google search for techtronics and I got all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Mods on a budget (H2oVento)

Thanx for the suggestion but I'm lookin' for mods more suitable for daily driving. I want more pull for the freeway ramps here and I don't want another toyota mini-van beating me off the line again ever

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Mods on a budget (Sandlock)

quote:[HR][/HR]And if you have a 2001 GOLF, its not a Mk3 its an Mk4. Your ECU is in most cases sodered in so for you to get a chip, you have to send it into the tuner. Come on you part-time dubber, do some basic research http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
I have done some basic research. I've already been to New Dimensions site for the p-chip and I know it needs to be sent out. I also knew that starting in 1999.5 is when the mk4s came out. I've even researched neuspeed's super charger and ATPs turbo kits. Now my question...what are your thoughts on a p-chip / tt 266 cam combo...I read the p-chip idles a lil' higher which is ideal for the 266 and the 266 will pass emissions in CA. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, thanx

·
Registered
923 Posts

I'm doing a similar set up GIAC chip, 266 TT cam & HD springs. I already have a P-flo but will be getting the Velocity CAI when it becomes available. Don't forget the exhaust though, my local muffler shop made me a Flowmaster cat-back with light weight resonator for $220. While I'm convinced that these mods will meet my needs I'm not so certain this would be the route for you because of the lease. If the lease is your concern I'd stay away from the chip and cam and just install simple bolt-ons. A cold air intake and a performance muffler, while not the biggest increase in HP will definitely make your driving more pleasurable. After that I'd go and get some suspension, maybe a sport spring kit from H&R or Neuspeed. For those I'd look in the classified section as there are some like new setups for sale for a lot less than new. Don't forget the shocks and struts though

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Mods on a budget (sgolf)

I' pretty satisfied w/ the ride to not want springs and shocks...if anything the rear 28mm bar to lessen the body roll...what I REALLY want is my engine to pull a lil' harder and better throttle response.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.