VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Jetta GLI and wondered if anyone had installed an aftermarket shift knob? I haven't tried removing the factory yet, but figured it would be easier to just ask, then start trying to remove it and unfortantly without the search function operating, i was unable to locate anything regarding this subject. Thanks everyone.
P.S. This is the third day of owning my second GLI this week and so far no Total failure of the engine yet

·
Registered
755 Posts
Re: MOMO shift knob instalation (Rlbol)

its easy, did it last week! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
you'll need wire cutters, needlenose pliers
take off the boot (the bottoms elastic)
see that metal crimp on the shifter under the knob? You have to cut it
pull off stock knob, but the boots still attached??!
get the pliers and pull off that black plastic ring thats holding the boot onto the knob
and thats it...its a no brainer really
enjoy

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Re: MOMO shift knob instalation (roadsleeper)

how do u secure the stock shift boot to the momo knob? will the original plastic ring work????i tried to zip tie it from underneath but the boot keeps pulling out

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Re: MOMO shift knob instalation (crez)

In order to use the OEM boot, you will need to use an adaptor. An old Vortexer designed one and sells them (at least I think he still does). Run an internet search for "Sean Riha", or "SRC adaptor". The easiest thing to do is buy a Momo boot, but it is definitely not the cheapest way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: MOMO shift knob instalation (FSUJetta)

i don't know if it's the same but on my first car i changed it, the were two screws on the sides of the oem, the knob pulls off. The is a plastic rod inside of the metal rod. probably with a spring on it, don't take it out, it's for the button on the auto knob, put knew on, screw it in, make sure the button is on spring and the knob should work. But like i said this was an old car of mine, don't know about new vdubs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts