VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my struts are starting to leak on my 96 2.0. Gonna need new suspension and need advice. Did search and not pleased with results. I want a good setup that is little more agressive than stock. I want to handle better and sit a LITTLE lower. I have to drive this in winters and my driveway is at a 45 degree angle. What are good setups for low prices? Pics of cars with them would be great.
Going on this.

·
Banned
7,147 Posts
Re: Money Pit: Active again (jettastud)

Shine Real Street Suspension sounds like what you want. It doesn't lower your car much if any, and plus it makes your car handle very good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Franco... at 11:47 PM 9-25-2004

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Eibachs are good but a bit more expensive, usually. If you're planning to do suspension right, especially if you race/autox/drive 10/10ths, you should really look into matched springs and dampers (a 'Cup Kit') or coils. If you don't want to spend that much, I'd get some sport springs now, and if/when your stock struts give out, get some Bilsteins or Konis. If you're not lowering your car too much or really taxing the suspension components, there really isn't a reason to spring for expensive stuff right now. Save your dough or put it towards a swaybar or two.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Re: Money Pit: Active again (jettastud)

Quote, originally posted by jettastud »
Well, my struts are starting to leak on my 96 2.0. Gonna need new suspension and need advice.

Note how he said that his struts are leaking.... so why are most people recommending he buy springs???
Get a set of FK Hitec's or H&R's cup kit... both affordable, give much better handling, and still are driveable in winter.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: Money Pit: Active again (Franco...)

Quote, originally posted by Franco... »
Shine Real Street Suspension sounds like what you want. It doesn't lower your car much if any, and plus it makes your car handle very good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Money Pit: Active again (cdougyfresh)

Quote, originally posted by cdougyfresh »
H&R oe sport springs are the way to go.. slightly more agressive look, definately better handling. lowers like .75 in rear and .25 in front i think

How much $ are we talking for something like this?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Re: Money Pit: Active again (avw4me)

Quote, originally posted by avw4me »
Can't go wrong with FK or Weitec cup kit.

In a snowy place with a 45* driveway I don't think he wants a 60/40 kit.
I have H&R sports like people mentioned above and it's a nice subtle drop, but you won't snowplow and I very rarely bottom out. I'm going to upgrade to coils shortly, if you want some H&R springs for a good price shoot me an IM or email http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
weitec 40/40 GT kit. With 96.5-99.5/VR6 style bearings it will be 10mm higher in the front than this pic....more in sig

Modified by golfSPORT95 at 3:07 PM 9-26-2004

·
Registered
973 Posts
Re: (golfSPORT95)

I replaced mine at ~100,000 mi, fronts were bone dry and rears were still leaking.
I went with FK's Hitec 35-40 but am running it at 35-20 setup. FYI: rears are adjustable from 20 to 80mm drop.
Here are the comparo pics - stock vs. my 35-20 drop.

I like the fact that it doesn't look dropped to untrained eye, that's prolly one of the reasons I don't get cops' attention

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.