VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back-in-the-day Bonrath Mono-Wipers was the must have mod on MK1s to MK4s. Due to the economy, Bonrath was forced to shut down and are no longer producing Mono-Wipers for newer cars.

I am here today find someone that can help fabricate a mono-wiper for my MK6. At the moment, I have a Bonrath Mono-Wiper for my MK4 and my B5.5 that you can see how the articulation and geometry works. Also, I have a MK2 mono-wiper that is modified stock wiper.

Anyone out there willing to take on the challenge?

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as many people as you know and no takers?
I think I am just asking the wrong people. :(

I took my rain tray apart yesterday and inorder to move the wiper to the center (4inches), then there will be some major modification needed to the body for clearance and articulation.

Also, I would need to do some plastic welding to get the wiper in the center for the cover. Aesthetically, I can do majority of the work, functionality, I am going to need some help. Plus I don't have the tools to weld.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
I think I am just asking the wrong people. :(

I took my rain tray apart yesterday and inorder to move the wiper to the center (4inches), then there will be some major modification needed to the body for clearance and articulation.

Also, I would need to do some plastic welding to get the wiper in the center for the cover. Aesthetically, I can do majority of the work, functionality, I am going to need some help. Plus I don't have the tools to weld.

did you take pictures??

there has to be a way to do it because of LHD vs RHD markets

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i am interested in this. i will be doing the same mod to my mk3 so i could possibly do two at once. any pictures of the mk6 raintrays?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
seems to me all that's done is delete the outside wiper linkage and change the linkage arm on the inside so the sweep is longer. excuse my ignorance on these but they rest all the way down, not in the middle correct?

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess what i'm saying it seems to me the motors remain unchanged just the linkage
This is correct. The motor is OEM. On the Passat it uses the same position as stock, but the swing is larger. On my MK4, the position is moved to the center and the swing is also larger.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
remove assembly, cut and add 10mm to the legnth of the linkage arm.... reassemble? just like the old mk2 single arm kits?

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
it would be pretty easy to figure out if the parts are out of the car and you can take measurements.

disconnect the linkage from the motor.
disconnect the linkage to the passenger arm.
rotate center linkage (where the motor attaches) to the end of the swipe and rotate the wiper linkage to where you want the end of the swipe to be, measure distance from pivot point attachment and center linkage attachment. compare measurement to stock. cut, weld, reassemble......

you may even find that vw has a linkage arm the correct or close to correct length without having to mod one just swapping linkage section.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What ever happened with this?? Did it work? The drivers side wiper on my eurovan doesn't have enough travel... I'm looking for a solution. . I want it to reach to the far left but hide on bottom when not in use

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
It's an OE rocco mono wiper. It mounts in the stock location as the Corrado assembly with a g60 wiper motor. One of the existing wiper mount holes indexes the wiper to the correct location. Another hole has to be drilled in the rain tray with a bolt fished up from under the pedal assembly to secure it. The motor is mounted on the opposite side of the rocco assembly. Two (of the three) holes need to be drilled in different places on the assembly to allow the motor to rotate into a different location on the bracket.

The motor has to be re indexed with power off to tell it that the park position is on the passenger side instead of the middle of the windshield. Simply grab some vice grips and protect the threads of wiper mount stem. With the power off move the stem from the middle of the windshield over the passenger side. It moves enough water when washing the windows it will soak the car next to you.

The original rocco wiper arm is being used with a slightly longer aero wiper blade. The Corrado wipers arms have issues with not applying enough down force. They don't wipe a large portion of the glass on the drivers side because of the glass curvature. This cures it and does the work of two blades in one pass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts