VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Not as tidy as it once was, but it's all there. The mechanicals of the rain tray area are harder to see on black cars. There's no contrast against the paint.

Be sure to make note of the assembly/disassembly order of all the washers and retaining parts in the wiper stalk and the wiper arm it's attached to. If you don't, the wiper arm will sit too close the wiper cover on the windshield and make a nice groove on your SF parts. The OE Corrado wiper motor was bolted to the Rocco wiper assembly by drilling 3 holes in new locations. This orientates the motor so it will fit between the wiper assembly and the base of the rain tray. This also allows the wiper motor harness connector to reach the wiper motor. The wipers retain all their OE settings and features because the OE Corrado wiper motor is used on the Rocco mono blade assembly. It all works as it should from the wiper stalk controls.

You can see that one of the wiper assembly mounting points isn't connected to the base it's base on the rain tray. I'll get to that later. The rocco rain tray is shaped differently so a few mods are required on the Corrado.

Currently the entire mono wiper assembly is mounted in place by the nut that secures it to the wiper stalk hole and the the nut/bolt in one of the two holes on the side of the wiper assembly. The one that's closest to the engine. It's been that way for years and worked without issues.

There's no way to mount a bolt to the back side of the rain tray. You'll need a coat hanger. Fish it through the firewall down to your pedal assembly. You'll also have to remove the plastic cover on top of the legs of your pedal assembly. Attach the threaded end of the bolt to the hanger with masking tape. Gently pull it back through the fire wall and then up the back side of the rain tray. Good luck getting the first threads started while pushing the rubber grommet over the bolt threads. I used a screw driver lying flat on the rain tray and pressed it against the threads of the bolt in its hole in the rain tray. This kept the bolt in place while the wiper assemblies rubber grommet was pressed over the bolt threads.

Once that rubber grommet in the rocco wiper assembly is over the bolt, there'll be enough friction to tighten up a washer and nut over that one mount point of the wiper assembly. I've kept mine like this for years with just two of points mounted. The long term goal is to get a piece of hollow nylon stock from the hardware store. It'll need to be ground on one side to the angle of the wiper assembly. The other side of the nylon needs to be cut to bridge the gap between the rain tray/firewall and wiper assembly. That nylon stock will also give the landing point to drill the last hole for the 3rd mount point on the rain tray.

Once the wiper assembly has been fit and ready for the final assembly, new holes will be drilled to accommodate nutserts. This will make it so the assembly can be removed from the top without blind mounting nuts on the other side of the rain tray. To avoid the engineering headache for anyone else doing this project, I'll make a dimensional template of the firewall, nylon spacer and wiper motor locations. It'll remove the engineering aspect out of this mod and turn it into a straight swap. There's a few places to add more rubber bushings and hushmat that will quiet the operation the wipers down too.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The pic below shows the motor needs to be rotated from an 8 o'clock position to approximately 11 o'clock. Once it's moved the motor will fit upside down in a recessed area of the Corrado raintray.

The blue line shows where the harness plug will be located after the motor is moved up a bit. My rocco assembly didn't come with a motor so I can't say whether or not the OE rocco motor can be used. The two motors may be identical, who knows.

The pics below were taken from Nash_TDI f/s page: FS: MK1/2/3 parts

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's an OE rocco mono wiper. It mounts in the stock location as the Corrado assembly with a g60 wiper motor. One of the existing wiper mount holes indexes the wiper to the correct location. Another hole has to be drilled in the rain tray with a bolt fished up from under the pedal assembly to secure it. The motor is mounted on the opposite side of the rocco assembly. Two (of the three) holes need to be drilled in different places on the assembly to allow the motor to rotate into a different location on the bracket.

The motor has to be re indexed with power off to tell it that the park position is on the passenger side instead of the middle of the windshield. Simply grab some vice grips and protect the threads of wiper mount stem. With the power off move the stem from the middle of the windshield over the passenger side. It moves enough water when washing the windows it will soak the car next to you.

The original rocco wiper arm is being used with a slightly longer aero wiper blade. The Corrado wipers arms have issues with not applying enough down force. They don't wipe a large portion of the glass on the drivers side because of the glass curvature. This cures it and does the work of two blades in one pass.

Must it be a g60 motor or will my corrado VR motor work? The g60 motors look pretty cheap online but i would like to keep the stock motor if possible incase the plug/ functions are different. I have a line on a Scirocco linkage and wiper arm. I also found this kit but its about $190 shipped to Washington. Weighing the options. Kit looks pretty straight forward.

http://www.autotintdesign.com/singlewipers.html

21 - 24 of 24 Posts