VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried the search with "monsoon conversion" in recent and archived topics.
I have the premium stereo... which bites.. and i want monsoon.... whats the difference in the stereos? is it possible to wire it? whos done it? how hard is it? which components do i need?
thanks a lot

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: Monsoon conversion (mrdejected)

It would be fairly complicated. For the work that you would put into it, it would just be easyer to put in a nice aftermarket amp that would proably sound alot better.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

I think there's very few 8 channel amps out there (ads comes to mind) but you'd only need a 4 channel amp with new set of component speaker which come with passive x-overs. The Monsoon is 8 channel because it has the x-over built-in, I think. . .

FYI the Monsoon does not have THAT much power; I think it's about 10 watts rms x 8, which is like 20 per corner. You'd be better off going aftermarket amp than retrofitting a Monsoon in your current system. Just my opinion

·
Registered
435 Posts

IMHO:
Monsoon is complete crap compared to almost any decent aftermarket stuff. Do yourself a favor, get nice aftermarket stuff. It is NOT very expensive. What is your budget and what it is that you are trying to get (CD player, amp, speakers)?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Monsoon conversion (ColdFlameGTi)

i just want an amp to power up the speakers and some new speakers... that pump out a lot of bass and mid range.... the stock tweeters dont seem to be that bad....
im not trying to spend a lot of money.. just enough where i can be satisfied

·
Registered
435 Posts

Well, I don't know how stock is hooked up in your car, but I was all set on doing this:
all from Crutchfield:
Clarion HX-D10 cd player $300
JBL 80.4 amp $200
Infiniti Kappa 60.2 $200 pair
Total comes to $900 plus you need cables
This is supposed to sound very good I assume, maybe best what you can get in a car like VW
it is no Lexus in noise isolation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.