VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '01 GTI with the base stereo.
I also happen to have a complete monsoon system (headunit and amplifier).
How easy would it be to put it in my car?
Where would the amplifier go? Is the wiring for it pre-existing?
(I don't have too many worries about the headunit, and I have the DIN removal tools)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Monsoon installation on a non-Monsoon Mk4 (Obelix)

dont bother, the monsoon system sux, if you just added an aftermarket HU you would improve your sound system way more than the monsoon would. Trust me. I have the monsoon and on my last jetta had the plain ol' stereo and replaced the headunit with a kenwood, and it sounded better than my current monsoon system.
Thats my opinion take it or leave it.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Re: Monsoon installation on a non-Monsoon Mk4 (Obelix)

Quote, originally posted by Obelix »
I have a '01 GTI with the base stereo.
I also happen to have a complete monsoon system (headunit and amplifier).
How easy would it be to put it in my car?
Where would the amplifier go? Is the wiring for it pre-existing?
(I don't have too many worries about the headunit, and I have the DIN removal tools)

Do a search in here and in car audio and electronics.
The short answer is no. The car is not wired for it and is not something you want to do probably.

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Re: Monsoon installation on a non-Monsoon Mk4 (WolfWagen)

Quote, originally posted by WolfWagen »
dont bother, the monsoon system sux, if you just added an aftermarket HU you would improve your sound system way more than the monsoon would. Trust me. I have the monsoon and on my last jetta had the plain ol' stereo and replaced the headunit with a kenwood, and it sounded better than my current monsoon system.
Thats my opinion take it or leave it.

WHy do people BASH the Monsoon system??? For a factory system it is a very good system. Sure, it doesn't make the "GUCCI" BOOOOOOM base, but it is clean to most levels, and is accurate, which is what a system should do.
If you like loud music, loud enough to keep you from even hearing the A/C on full, then great, but stop knocking a very good system for the $$..

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Monsoon installation on a non-Monsoon Mk4 (Jettavr666)

The Saab was getting too high-mileage, so I sold it before it lost more value.
Just bought a 01 GTI 1.8T with 40k miles on it.

Here's a pic:

---------------------------------
Thanks for the replies about the Monsoon. I just have a Monsoon amp and HU lying around, so I figured "free upgrade, why not". But I don't want to do the wiring, so I guess I won't install it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Newb question: How can a new headunit affect how the speakers sound. If you want a different sound don't you need to replace the speakers?

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
Re: (honesttussey)

trust me monsoon sucks worthless POS. I only got it so that i could get the moon roof. as soon as i have the cash alpine HU inifiniti kappa speakers and a JL sub.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Re: (Veedubin02)

i like the monsoon system.. I'm just extremely tired of getting the speakers replaced because of their poor design.......Tommorow i'm getting infinity kappas installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts