VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my '02 Jetta last weekend and the model I bought comes with the Monsoon sound system. I'm having an after-market stereo installed. The description of the Monsoon on VW's website includes that it comes with an amplifier. Are they referring to an internal amp or is there a seperate unit somewhere in the car? If so, where? I just need to know whether I need to have an amp installed or not. Finally, is there anything I need to know before I have my aftermarket stereo put in? Anything specific to VWs or Jettas? Thanks. -

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Re: Monsoon sound/aftermarket stereo questions (nidhal)

In Jetta's the monsoon amp is mounted under the rear deck in the trunk. Stick you're head in your trunk and look up and you should see the amp mounted with cables running to it. Welcome to Vortex....

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

There's plenty you need to know if you are going to start working on a serious system. For example....
You can hook a new HU up to your monsoon system, but that's it. After the hits the amp it's almost unusable for you. Monsoon speakers are 2ohm, so you can't just plug new ones in.
Check out the audio(technical) forum.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Re: Monsoon sound/aftermarket stereo questions (smd3)

What I found to be easy is to wire the new head unit(Clarion DXZ 715) to the existing monsoon to gain control of those 8 speakers and use the 3 set of pre-amp outputs for whatever else you want to add, mainly just for sub-output because it has separate subwoofer control on the unit

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm not doing the installation myself. I'm having it professionall done. I just am wondering if there's anything I need to tell them that they may not already know.
What does this mean: "You can hook a new HU up to your monsoon system, but that's it. After the hits the amp it's almost unusable for you. Monsoon speakers are 2ohm, so you can't just plug new ones in"

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

Ok, typical car speakers are 4ohm. The monsoon speakers are 2ohm. So if you hook up and aftermarket amp to them you'll be over-driving the amp. If you buy a poor quality amp it'll lead to over-heating and shotened life. It may be possible to hook an aftermarket amp to the stock speakers, but there may be some other problems to deal with. For example the monsoon amp has built in cross-overs. Something you'll need to buy when hooking up that aftermarket amp.
The stock monsoon sounds pretty damn good once you fix the "out of phase" problem. (If it's a 2002 monsoon) what exactly do you want a different amp for?
Just add another amp for subs if you want the bass.
change the stock HU, don't worry about that. Just make sure you buy a conversion wiring harness and don't let this place you are taking it to cut the stock wiring.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok, here's the situation. It is a 2002 Monsoon. I have my own head unit and my own Kenwood amp that I took out of my old car. I am likely going to have the factory speakers replaced as well, on account of I assume all factory speakers pretty much suck. So I'm just wondering if I need to have my Kenwood amp replace the one they already have in there or have it installed in addition to it or if I should just leave it out of the equation period. Again, I assume my Kenwood amp is better than whatever factory amp is installed, but if I'm wrong tell me.
Finally, I want to make sure my new setup will allow me to use the steering wheel controls. So I guess since I'm having it all done by a professional (one I've used in the past and trust) I just want to know if there are any specific instructions I should give them, and if so, feel free to spell them out for me like I'm an idiot, because when it comes to stuff like this, I pretty much am.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

Look up the "front left-out of phase" problem. see http://www.netcom.com/~smd3/RadioRewire.doc
Fix that first, then the sound is 10x better.
The kenwood amp may be more powerful, but it doesn't have the crossovers and stuff the monsoon does.
Also keep in mind a 5 channel won't do it, since there are 8 speakers to the jetta/gti system.
Tell your shop that the stock speakers are 2ohm.
Really, fix the phase problem and replace the HU. I think you'll be happy. And if you want more bass just add an amp and subs.
I really can't stress the fix enough, when the wiring is fixed it sounds really good. You'd swear there was an 8 or 10" sub in there.

·
Registered
22,720 Posts

Before you go toying around with the entire sound system in your car I agree pop in the new HU first and see how it works. Make sure the place knows about the k-wire issue!!
And have them check the left wires to make sure they aren't reversed in the harness (some 02 monsoons have this issue).
I have an early '02 monsoon so I still have the old single sized HU (which IMO is better but) I have no complaints with the monsoon. The speakers handle high volumns just fine.
If you just want more bass either get a HU with sub output or you'll need to tap the rear outputs BEFORE the amp and channel those into your own amp then to the sub.
The audio forum with all lots of info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Monsoon sound/aftermarket stereo questions (landrumdh)

Damn, I wish I hadn't asked. Now I'm more confused than ever.
Regarding the "double-sized HU", does anyone know if I wanted to install a factory single-sized HU if it would work ok or would I have problems? If I wanted to trade someone my double-sized HU for a single-sized is that a fair trade? I just want room for both my aftermarket stereo and a stock radio player. Don't ask why, it's complicated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

There is NO problem with the new Double-Din HU from Volkswagen. The problem is that there is the wiring for the front left speaker is wrong. I assure you just installing an aftermarket head unit will not solve this problem. You need to have the wires switched. Read that document that I mentioned in an earlier post.
The stock head unit is pretty nice. If you need more features that's one thing. If you think the sound quality sucks it's not the HU.
Unless you plan to replace the entire sound system, including wiring, don't mess with anything but the HU. Go ahead, change it out. Try all the HU's you want, but changing everything else will get to be expensive.
Make sure this trusted shop you like knows about the K-wire issue, and make sure they use an adapter for the wiring harnes. Don't let them chop the harness, you may find yourself putting the stock HU back in to avoid warranty headaches.
The problem with switching for a Single-Din HU from VW is that the CD-player is separate anyway, so you'd have to deal with that.
Just get the wiring fixed, you'll be happy with the Monsoon system unless you need more features from a radio.
Or unless you intend to compete in Audio competitions, which I'm gathering you don't.

·
Registered
725 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Regarding the "double-sized HU", does anyone know if I wanted to install a factory single-sized HU if it would work ok or would I have problems? If I wanted to trade someone my double-sized HU for a single-sized ... [HR][/HR]​
The problem would be finding someone that would be willing to trade...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The reason I'm replacing the head unit is that I have an Empeg Car Rio Player. In case you aren't familiar with them, it's a head unit that functions like a mini-computer. It can store the equivalent of 600 cds on it, so I really have no use whatsoever for a cd player. It doesn't, however, come with a radio tuner, and since I like to be able to listen to NPR occassionally, I want to have a stock stereo in there too. And that's why I want to replace the double-din with a single, so that I can fit both my Empeg HU (which is a standard size din) and a factory stereo. I realize that has nothing to do with the sound quality issue, and that's obviously not why I'm going to replace it.
I had planned all along on putting in aftermarket speakers and amp. As it turns out, I couldn't find a Jetta that had the other options I wanted on it but didn't include the Monsoon. For me, money isn't that big an issue, since I had expected to have to pay for speakers anyway. I just want to make sure that I get the cleanest possible sound. I'm not a guy who wants a stereo that thumps. I listen to as much classical as I do rap or rock, so I'm more interested in the sound quality than the sound quantity.
So what exactly is the K wire issue? Is this separate from the reversed wires issue? If I ask the dealer to fix the latter, will they know what I am talking about? My car is all of a week old, so I assume that would be covered under warranty....right? And what exactly is a "wire harness"? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks.

[Modified by nidhal, 5:39 AM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

Ok. Here's what I'd do. You can try to trade your Double-Din for a Single-Din, but it's unlikely someone will trade. People are under the impression that the Double-Din sucks, when that's not really true.
Get yourself a nice aftermarket Single-Din radio. Print out the document that I have linked above. Take that and your two Single-Din HU's to your audio shop. They will know what to do when they see the document, it's pretty obvious.
The K-wire is basically a communication line. When the dealer hooks their computer up to your car it uses the K-wire to communicate with the cars computers. If this wire is wired to your stereo wrong it can destroy the dealers rather expensive computer. The stereo shop will have have to find this wire and cap it. I don't know much about this, but that's the basic info.
You will enjoy the stock Monsoon system once the wiring is fixed. It is quite nice, unless you want a competition level sound system. I think you'll enjoy the sound.
If after you have the car set up like this and you don't like the sound then think about upgrading the speakers, and amp. Trust me it'll probably be more headache than it's worth, so listen to the Monsoon system after it's fixed.
Even if you go with an aftermarket system if you use the stock wiring you'll have to fix the "out-of-phase" problem anyway.
You shouldn't have any trouble adding your new HU/whatever that thing is. The factory amp is designed to use line-level inputs, which is what most HU's put out. In the even that the computer thingy you're putting in doesn't have line level out's you may be in for a bit of a headache.
If the computer thingy only outputs with RCA's then you'll need to find a way to interface it to the amp. It'll mean converting the RCA signal to Line level signal. Or connect it to a HU with RCA _Inputs_.
I'm trying to keep this from being confusing, basically make sure your audio shop cuts the k-wire, and make sure they follow the document that I posted earlier. You'll be happy with the sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.