VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after much thought and lousy sound imaging, I am ready to gut the Premium (yeh right) Monsoon 10 speaker system, with amp. I have a 2004 NBC. I have had it since June and have had enough of the POS sound. I believe the main culprit is the AMP. Here are my choices:
1. Keep the OEM head unit, add a set of good Component speakers(6.5 MB Quarts) in the front, power them with a good amp and maybe even do a 4 channel amp and power the back OEM tweets and woofer too. Add a PIE AUX adapter to connect my XM Roady.
2. Dump the OEM head unit and replace with a Blaupunkt, Alpine or Clarion head unit to stay as close to the OEM look. The head unit would have pre-amps (for the amp) and aux input (for the RCA's to hook up to my XM Roady) add a set of good Component speakers(6.5 MB Quarts) in the front, power them with a good amp and maybe even do a 4 channel amp and power the back OEM tweets and woofer too or even a set of good co-axles.
I am looking for a good clean sound. I am not getting it with the monsoon. So I am ready to get rid of the AMP and speakers (front) and maybe the back speakers as well and replace them with a good amp and component speakers.
What do you all think? Comments, suggestions, etc. would greatly be appreciated!!!

Modified by yoyoman at 10:08 AM 11-18-2004

· Registered
2,183 Posts
If you read these forums, its generally agreed that the problem is the HU, not the speakers. I personally wouldn't waste time with new speakers, as they are quite good (as OEM goes), but get the head unit replaced. I put in a Clarion 745MP and the difference is night and day.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (UncleBens)

Well, it may be the head unit for earlier model New Beetles, but the 2003, 2004 New Beetle Convertible Monsoon systems lousy, hissing sound is a result of the POS amp, not the head unit. So if you replace the head unit you will still encounter the low level hissing sound. The amp needs to go. There are many posts of New Beetle Convertible owners complaining about this. Thanks for your input though.
I am looking for the best sound result with the options I mentioned.

Modified by yoyoman at 1:05 PM 11-18-2004

· Registered
4,922 Posts
If you're on a budget, this is what I'd recommend.
Replace the HU with something to your liking that has RCA's with a high-voltage output.
Use the HU to power a set of seperates up front and a set of coaxials in the rear. You don't need seperates in the rear cause they are just for fill and imaging is not as important.
Purchase a small amp and sub, maybe an 8" or 10" to fill out the bottom end. While you may not need a sub, it's amazing how much of a difference some good bass can make for music.
The only other change you could make if your budget allows is purchasing another 4-channel amp for your highs or a mult-channel (5 or 6) to run the whole system. I've got an Alpine 5-channel right now and love it.

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Re: (yoyoman)

Quote, originally posted by yoyoman »
Well, it may be the head unit for earlier model New Beetles, but the 2003, 2004 New Beetle Convertible Monsoon systems lousy, hissing sound is a result of the POS amp, not the head unit.
Modified by yoyoman at 1:05 PM 11-18-2004

that is why when you replace the head unit you bypass the amp

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (1sik95jetta)

Quote, originally posted by 1sik95jetta »

that is why when you replace the head unit you bypass the amp

Interesting, is this true? If you replace the OEM head unit with an aftermarket head unit it will not use the POS Monsoon amp? THat the Monsoon Amp will only work with the OEM head unit?

· Registered
4,922 Posts

Interesting, is this true? If you replace the OEM head unit with an aftermarket head unit it will not use the POS Monsoon amp? THat the Monsoon Amp will only work with the OEM head unit?

NO, this is not true! If your car has the Monsoon system and you install an aftermarket HU using a wiring harness adapter, it will play through the Monsoon amp and speakers. To bypass the Monsoon amp you would need to rewire the whole system.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Monsoon System Sucks (user name unknown)

Quote, originally posted by user name unknown »
Lose the stock headunit.
Replace with a nice aftermarket headunit.
If funds are available, add subs while you are at it.
http://www.dinsolutions.net for all the how-tos

Here's my plan:
Going to order a Blaupaumpkt Monte Carlo head unit. Closest to OEM I could find (black with red/blue buttons and display like the Monsoon) and has AUX input for my XM Roady and a set of pre-amps.
If the sound is good and the hissing is gone (doubtful) I will leave the system alone for now.
If the hissing is still there, then I will add a Rockford Fosgate Punch Amp, a set of good Co-axils (6.5's) in the rear and a set of CDT Audio CL-61A 6-1/2" Component for the front. Power the CDT's with amp and power the rears with the Blaupaumpkt. Thus eliminating the Monsoon HU, Amp and speakers.
What do you think? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
4,290 Posts

Thanks DJKebler!!
Thats what I thought

1sik95jetta

no dumbass your the
one.
you can use the monsoon amp with an aftermarket h/u but if you think it's such a POS than you can bypass it when you put in the new h/u. so next time how about you think some b4 talking

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

no dumbass your the
one.
you can use the monsoon amp with an aftermarket h/u but if you think it's such a POS than you can bypass it when you put in the new h/u. so next time how about you think some b4 talking

Back at ya dude

· Registered
4,922 Posts

no dumbass your the
one.

ok boys, enough. this is just a miscommunication. sik....originally you posted about bypassing the Monsoon amp by installing an aftermarket unit. This is possible but requires running new wires to the speakers. I think yoyo was asking if the Monsoon HU is required to work with the Monsoon amp or if the amp can be used with an aftermarket HU. Neither of you was wrong. It was just worded differently.

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Re: (DJKeebler)

Quote, originally posted by DJKeebler »

ok boys, enough. this is just a miscommunication. sik....originally you posted about bypassing the Monsoon amp by installing an aftermarket unit. This is possible but requires running new wires to the speakers. I think yoyo was asking if the Monsoon HU is required to work with the Monsoon amp or if the amp can be used with an aftermarket HU. Neither of you was wrong. It was just worded differently.

true. i like this idea
but if i remember correctly, yoyo also said that his monsoon amp was a POS. so why would you want to use it with something else. if his monsoon system is so terrible, than just rewire everything and get a new h/u and speakers. or just dont buy a factory "premium" system. they suck.

· Registered
4,922 Posts
I'm not gonna judget yoyo's VW experience based on his post count but being that it's only 13 right now, he may be a newbie. If that's the case, he may not really understand that the Monsoon HU is the primary weak link in the system. Changing out the HU alone will make a huge difference in sound quality. And a lot of the time, VW's so-called "premium" system is already an option on the car we buy so it may not be a choice. I know a lot of guys running aftermarket HU's, the Monsoon amp/speakers, and a sub/amp combo. Many of them LOVE it! The Monsoon speakers aren't all that bad. They just need a better signal source. I hate ALL OEM sound systems so I make plans to change things out from the start. But yoyo is on the right track. like I said, this is just a big miscommunication and misunderstanding. We're all here to learn something.

Modified by DJKeebler at 11:55 AM 11-22-2004

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Re: (DJKeebler)

very very true. we all learn new things everyday, even though we think we know everything about engines or audio or whatever it may be. as far as i'm concerned i have no problem whatsoever with yoyo. we were all at his level of knowledge in the audio world. i remember when i was
you have to learn sometime. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.