VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Winter is hard upon us and I need rubber mats for our new ('07) egg. Has anyone used Monster Mats?
-Do they fit well?
-Available colors?
-Online vendor who discounts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Monster Mats (khaug)

They fit fine, but do not match with the flow clips, so they sit loose on the floor, not that they move around or anything, they are just not secured buy the clips.
I definitely recommend them though. Not sure if they come in any color aside from black. Try your VW dealership. They got to have them. Retail for about $80-90.

Modified by Denoh at 12:54 PM 10-31-2007

·
Registered
46,799 Posts
Re: Monster Mats (Denoh)

Quote, originally posted by Denoh »
They fit fine, but do not match with the flow clips, so they sit loose on the floor, not that they move around or anything, they are just not secured buy the clips.
I definitely recommend them though. Not sure if they come in any color aside from black. Try your VW dealership. They got to have them. Retail for about $80-90.

Modified by Denoh at 12:54 PM 10-31-2007

You can get either round or oval clips for them so they do match the pegs.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Re: Monster Mats (spockcat)

I love them; have'em on each TReg w/trunk mat -- all are black. However, just notice that my boots have rubbed a hole into the driver side already after 9k miles on the 07 FSI v8 -- need another set just for the driver side

P.S. - I much prefer my son's 06's "half turn fasteners" vs. the 07's round snaps; but that's another topic.

Modified by ehd at 2:14 PM 10-31-2007

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I bought the Cayenne ones for my Treg for I am not to crazy about the look of the monster mats, but that is just me. They fit well also and I also got the matching cargo mat. Incase you are wondering, they do not have the Porsche crest or even the name on them anywhere other then maybe the bottom of them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: (Yeti35)

Since we're on the topic, does anyone know where I can get a single replacement "Monster Mat"? My (used, bought with 5K miles) '07 was somehow missing the driver's mat! Looks kind of odd with it missing. I asked the dealer that I purchased from and the answer was, well it was a used car, sorry. But if we run across an extra, we'll call you. Holding my breath on that one!
Also you guys that have the mats from the factory, did they include the carpet mats under the monster mats? Mine does (All 4 this time!), which seems strange; The monster mats are just sitting on top of the carpet mats, and of course are not snapped down. But they do have the correct round holes. The car has monster mats as a factory option, per the sticker...
Thanks!
T=Man

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Yeti35 »
I bought the Cayenne ones for my Treg for I am not to crazy about the look of the monster mats, but that is just me. They fit well also and I also got the matching cargo mat. Incase you are wondering, they do not have the Porsche crest or even the name on them anywhere other then maybe the bottom of them.

Humm, I logged onto tregcentral.com to order another set of Monster mats; checked-out the Cayenne mat per this post and notice several complaints about the driver-side wearing under the heel on the Monster Mat -- though it was just my Timberland boots, as they have worn through every other mat quickly.
The Cayenne mat was rated better, is said to be of better quality; does not look as good IMO (neither does my wife's Q7's rubber mats) -- I like the serrated Monster mats, but may try the Cayenne mats this time and see if it can endure my boots -- with the pure beige carpet, I can't take anymore mat failures on the light colored carpet

·
Registered
370 Posts

The Cayenne mats are great--I've had no wear issues. They're made of heavy rubber or something like it. The Cayenne cargo mat, however, is plastic and a bit slippery. I use a piece of rubber shelf liner to keep my cooler from sliding around. I tossed the VW cargo mat because it was made of foamed-plastic and easily scratched and torn.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Re: Monster Mats (ehd)

Quote, originally posted by ehd »
P.S. - I much prefer my son's 06's "half turn fasteners" vs. the 07's round snaps; but that's another topic.

Ditto. The half-turn versions are much better. Had them in my '06 Passat.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Re: (ehd)

Quote, originally posted by ehd »

Humm, I logged onto tregcentral.com to order another set of Monster mats; checked-out the Cayenne mat per this post and notice several complaints about the driver-side wearing under the heel on the Monster Mat -- though it was just my Timberland boots, as they have worn through every other mat quickly.
The Cayenne mat was rated better, is said to be of better quality; does not look as good IMO (neither does my wife's Q7's rubber mats) -- I like the serrated Monster mats, but may try the Cayenne mats this time and see if it can endure my boots -- with the pure beige carpet, I can't take anymore mat failures on the light colored carpet

I've had both. I like the look and fit of the Monster Mats but the Cayenne mats definitely wear better. My driver side Monster Mat always gets a hole thru the ribs from my sneakers...not even high heeled boots or shoes...the mat wears badly for me. I have several new sets of passenger side and rear mats accumulated over the years because of the driver side failure. They don't last me more than a year at most. I might go to the Cayenne ones again but I do not like the shape of the rear mats at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: (T--Man)

Quote, originally posted by T--Man »
Also you guys that have the mats from the factory, did they include the carpet mats under the monster mats? Mine does (All 4 this time!), which seems strange; The monster mats are just sitting on top of the carpet mats, and of course are not snapped down. But they do have the correct round holes. The car has monster mats as a factory option, per the sticker...
Thanks!
T=Man

T=Man, the monster mats an an accessory item. Eggs are shipped with the carpet mats. So you can take this out and just keep the monster mats, or you can have the monster mats lying on top of the carpet mats.

·
Registered
46,799 Posts
Re: (Denoh)

Quote, originally posted by Denoh »

T=Man, the monster mats an an accessory item. Eggs are shipped with the carpet mats. So you can take this out and just keep the monster mats, or you can have the monster mats lying on top of the carpet mats.

You shouldn't lay the monster mats on top of the carpets. They can move at possibly catch on the accelerator pedal. This is why they have the holes in them to clip to the floor.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Re: (setinhi)

Quote, originally posted by setinhi »
The Cayenne mats are great--I've had no wear issues. They're made of heavy rubber or something like it. The Cayenne cargo mat, however, is plastic and a bit slippery. I use a piece of rubber shelf liner to keep my cooler from sliding around. I tossed the VW cargo mat because it was made of foamed-plastic and easily scratched and torn.
The Cayenne cargo matt works for my purposes such as wet ski boots and anything else I may toss in there. I knew I did not want the VW cargo mat, that was the reason I got the plastic Cayenne one. I can't speak to wear on the other floor mats since I have used them only at the rally and have just stuck them back in this past weekend for use this winter. I bought them right before the rally.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: (ehd)

I've had the pepper (aka cayenne) mats for four years. Much better than the monster mats I had in my S4 and my wifes Jetta/allroad. The deep grooves in the monster mats are not really necessary as there's not that much liquid being caught in the mats, and the problem is once it dries and turns white, the grooves are hard to get clean. The cayenne mats have nice ribbing and are easy to clean and apply rubber protectant to to keep looking sharp (I use One Grand ERV to keep them looking tip top).
WOuld highly recommend them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts