VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this car started its life as a digi 2 8v and now it has been fitted with a full ABF swap. I have been meaning to make a build thread for some time and just kept slacking. Basically at this point I don't know what to say, here are some pics. and stayed tuned more to come!
Here is the car before it made its move to my garage. no motor!

This here is a panoramic shot i took of the old 8v i put together when i first picked up this GTI.

This here is the ABF all cleaned up before the install! cleaned by hand
and still geting cleaner.

This pic was taken after 24 hours of straight working to finish a car that was in tons of pieces for a local show "Cult Classic" but still had all its dust on it, but NOW ITS CLEAN! Also all these pics from cult where taken by DAN thanks, so good

DIRTY!

More Dirt! Forgot to mention thats a bit over 2 years of dust from siting in the corner! but i swear it cleaned up!

ummmmmm!

Engine Bay:

Finally home from its maiden voyage to cult

Thanks TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED! You know who u are!

Modified by CalYPsoGLi12 at 10:33 PM 7-9-2009

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
Re: Montana ABF (CalYPsoGLi12)

nice swap indeed. you get the lump from them JDM importers
out of GA(IIRC)? how many miles? how do you like it so far?
wiring harness too?
looks good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
FV-QR

awesome! ive been waiting to see some cleaned up pics

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: FV-QR (GreenGawker)

Quote, originally posted by cyclops594 »
nice swap indeed. you get the lump from them JDM importers
out of GA(IIRC)? how many miles? how do you like it so far?
wiring harness too?
looks good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks! As far as the import i believe it was NGP / what ever the other outfit they worked with to import a few of these! It was original in a white mk3 variant once ngp had it! it traveled around pa for a bit with out being put in or ran. the block was free when i i checked it out so i figured lets give it a try and it was a long time in the making but otherwise the hardest is finding parts. i do like so far but i have yet to beat it due to not being registered or inspected.
Quote, originally posted by watson »
damn man. such a clean mk2
i'm in love with it

Thanks me too!
Quote, originally posted by ratdub »
glad to see this car actually got built http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Hell yeah lots of hard work and extra long nights! oh yeah lots of blood, sweat, and beers!

Quote, originally posted by tomdooley »
good chit http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif where did you get the ABF from?

Some guy out in the middle of Pa. i guess he wanted to put it in his mk3

Quote, originally posted by steveo27 »
awesome! ive been waiting to see some cleaned up pics

Yeah, how about it! I haven't taken many pics yet since the bath or the heat gunned trim which you can see the before and after below. i also got some front end stuff off it at the moment.
Quote, originally posted by GreenGawker »
whats the size and specs on the wheels?
car looks good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks, the RS's are 033's 15x6.5 et 34 originally that are now 15x8.5 in the front and 15x9 in the rear. I believe the et now is something like 8 or 9 for the front and 3 or 4 for the rears if i understand that calculation.
Recent I took a heat gun to all my trim so it looks fresh again! here is how it went with a little before and after action on my rear bumper:
Before:

After:

Modified by CalYPsoGLi12 at 12:30 AM 7-11-2009

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: Montana ABF (dirtywabbit84)

Quote, originally posted by dirtywabbit84 »

x2!!
how the power band on it. I bet that baby screams top end, im sure it flows smoother than the US spec 16v.

im sure its way better than the 9A i believe the block is longer so the stroke is a ton better i heard it's alot smoother in the high rpm's

Modified by TheReverend at 9:53 PM 7-14-2009

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the comments! as far as driving the car i have only gotten to drive it twice. no romping yet! the day before that show i had put on a new set of kw variant 2's and dropped the car to something decent and still rubbed like a mother all around and i even cut my fenders that day too! so now i am playing with damping to stiffen the ride up and help me to stay at my current ride hieght!
Also i had original installed a mk3 euro cluster in this car and it made the emergency flash relay go crazy and my driver turn front turn signal would not work! but just like a night ago i figure out that there was something more to the euro cluster! i replace it with a stock manual mk3 8v cluster and eveything was GOLDEN!
So, now I can put the car back together and go get this thing inspected! then i can go rip and tell you guys what it really feels like!

Modified by CalYPsoGLi12 at 1:31 AM 7-15-2009

·
Registered
875 Posts
ABF is king of the 16v engines. My friend has one in his Mk3 and I'm itching to swap it into mine. He completely owns VRs with just a couple of mods and beats guys in 20v Turbo Mk4s (because Mk4s aren't cool enough ;-)).
Next year I'm putting a twin charged ABF in my Mk2. Keep your eyes peeled for that guys/

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: (CalYPsoGLi12)

Love your car bud!!!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif the abf is jus the cherry on the cake.... when can we expect some nice new pics of the car clean and with black trim
i need a new wallpaper!!!

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Re: (Cherry_Bomber_SA)

looking great! was glad to see it there. Bringing it to h2o this year? where you guys staying? We wont be at the same place again so jason cant drool over your rado and we cant have fun watching the truck going up and down.
Going to vag fair? Dan and I are trying to have both mk2s done by then.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.