Re: More 1.8T A2 Swap questions. (ottawanker)
this is some stuff I have learnt
1) Transmission selection - From what I hear, both normal a2 trannys and cable shift trannys will work. My question is, which is better? Is one stronger than any others? What do you run for clutches on these?
Any VW 4 cylinder tranny will bolt on. Remember that clutches are matched with transmsiions, you have to use the clutch that came with that tranny. the old rod type shifters are easier because you won't need to mod anything. BUT the clutch will slip when you mod your engine. I have heard that even the expensive racing type clutches will slip. So I ditched my 16v trany and went with a G60 unit. It has a different style clutch and is much beefieer. if you see the two side by side you will see the diff. I used the G60 flywheel (lightened) and VR6 friction disk and pressure plate (it was $100 cheaper than the G60 one) But then you will have to swap in the hydraulic master cylinder and pedal and get the cable shifter as well. Not really a big deal.
2) Gear ratios - What do you guys run with your 1.8Ts?
Apparently the highere ratios are better for a turbo engine. this engine gets most of its torque way down low. The 1.8T transmission is almost exactly the same ratio's as the 52hp NA diesel, i thought that was rather interesting. when I had the 16v close ratio tranny it ran ok, but 5th was way way too low. I got a .75 deisel installed and it was great. now with the higher ratio's of the G60 i still cant decide if I like it better or not, im having a hard time going from a short shifted rod tranny to the calble shifted one, so its like learning to shift all over again.b
3) Subframe - Do you keep the stock subframe, or do you go for the Vr6 or something modified?
no need to change subframe unless your going with crazy power or something, I wouldnt trust an A1 subframe but the A2 is ok. I needed to take a chunk out of the front cross member to clear the power steering line from the new pump, if you keep the old accessories I donthtink you will need to. all the mounts line up perfectly.
4) Suspension - Vr6 suspension, or simply upgrade the regular one with coil overs, etc.?
its a 4cyl, not the heavy VR, no need for the stiffer VR susp. in my oponion
5) Dash - Is it easier to swap a dash in, or keep the old dash?
Depends what engine your going to put in. If it is DBW and has the immibilizer you will need the Mkiv instrument cluster. it will fit into the A2 dash with mod's
6) Fuel Pumps - Is the stock fuel pump decent for this application, or do you need more pressure?
I think i have a passat pump on right now, but the stock 16v fuel pump I had was fine.
Thanks, and I'm sure some of these have been commented on before.. Sorry.[/QUOTE]
Hope that helps. Ottawanker, you from our nations great captial?
DAN Some people have asked for some pics of my swap but i dont know how to host pics.