VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Re: More fuel! (2.SlowMK4)

Quote, originally posted by 2.SlowMK4 »
Cause I'm running really lean with my cold air intake.

Where did you get that idea? Plug condition? Codes? Magic?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Is this like the exhaust thread? where you need a chip to keep up with the power of the exhaust?
You could do an ECU, but I beleive that injectors would be a waste unless you are going F/I or have alot of work done... If you wanted to do something I would do the ECU or a Cam.

·
Registered
10,433 Posts
Re: More fuel! (stolpsGTI)

Quote, originally posted by stolpsGTI »

Telepathy.
OP: Outside of a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous, you will not exceed the capacity of the stock fuel system. If you truly are running lean then something is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: More fuel! (stolpsGTI)

Quote, originally posted by stolpsGTI »

Plug condition. Everything was coated with white. Needs to be more of a chocolate color.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: More fuel! (theAntiRiced)

Quote, originally posted by theAntiRiced »

Telepathy.
OP: Outside of a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous, you will not exceed the capacity of the stock fuel system.

Which is why I need to upgrade my fuel system. And I was curious as to what the best way for that to happen.

·
Registered
10,433 Posts
Re: More fuel! (2.SlowMK4)

Which is why I need to upgrade my fuel system. And I was curious as to what the best way for that to happen.

So what's the major engine aspiration modification? And don't say 'CAI'.
Your sig doesn't say turbo or supercharger or nitrous. Apparently you're still saving for a chip. I hate to call it early, but you don't need more fuel.
Change your plugs, get it scanned for codes, and let us know.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: More fuel! (theAntiRiced)

Well, I need some way to richen my engine up. Cause I changed my plugs last week and they were very white, in fact, layers of white. Telling me that its too lean. Before I installed the CAI, I checked the plugs..they were normal chocolate color. 3 months after CAI and they became ghostly white. I some how need to get more fuel to counter the air from the CAI.

·
Registered
10,433 Posts
Re: (2.SlowMK4)

Yeah, I dont have one of those. Maybe I should.

Dude, no. We're being sarcastic. You should definitely do your own independent research before buying anything, especially something that promises the world when it's made out of thin strips of aluminum.
And if you won't take our advice, then take your car to a reputable shop the next time you want to know what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (theAntiRiced)

I know whats wrong with it. The ECU cant compensate for the mass amounts of air from the CAI. I was asking for advice if I should go with a new chip or bigger injectors, and which ones are the best. I'm asking for peole with experience with different products so I can get a good base on whats what.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: (2.SlowMK4)

Lean fuel mixture should turn the plug electrode white, but there would *no* deposits... The electrode and the plug tip would be eroded. It would make the plugs look the same way they would if they were the wrong heat range. Lean mixture causes the plugs to run too hot, so they will "blister" and turn white, but they will not build up deposits.
Whitish deposits caked on the plug would indicate either an oil leak (if it happened to plugs quickly) or bad gas. Usually that's just valve stem seals or the wrong oil weight if it's the oil leak, but it really usually is bad gas or overuse of fuel system treatments.
I have never in my life seen a CAI on *any* car cause a lean condition. Secondly, you should be throwing codes from the upstream O2 sensor if you were. It's just going to make it easier for the intake to pull in more air, it's not forcing more air in. You're still idling at the same speed, right? [/rhetorical question]
The mk4 engine management system is very touchy about CEL's... If I'm not mistaken, you're in a tighter emissions class, so it would definitely throw something at you.
*If* you really are "lean":
1. The plugs will not have any depostits
2. It's not the CAI... it would most likely come back to a dirty or otherwise goofed up MAF, intake manifold leaks (not tight enough, not torqued down properly, the air intake boot isn't tight enough behind the MAF or on the TB or is leaking, vacuum leaks, etc) or any number of things

Modified by ninety9gl at 10:52 AM 5-15-2007

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.