VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Turbo build starts at page 13

Well April 4th was exactly a year since I bought my 98 gti vr, figured its about that time to make a build thread. I bought this car from a gentleman that was diagnosed with brain cancer and beat it. Long story short, 7 years ago he was diagnosed with it and at the same time the gti developed rod knock and has sat ever since. It has 62k miles on it, and absolutely has no rust (sat outside too). Next week im going back to the PO to show him the car, and go for a small cruise with him. When I initially heard the story of his disease I told him when the car is done I will come back so he can enjoy the car once again, though he cannot be behind the wheel ever again. :thumbdown:

Most of the build happened in 2012 so I will try to post pics in the order they happened. Car is a DE leftover that was built in april of 97 and marked as a 98. Silver arrow vr6 gti, bone stock with the exception of lowering springs when I got it. It has changed since :D. 62.5k original miles, rust free.

Day of pick up. Half the car was stored on the driveway, the other half was in the yard. I had to unhook my jeep from the dolly and yank the gti out of the ground :eek:

Got it to my shop, my buddy (graygti05) and myself were still amazed at how clean the body was and low mileage. We were both :eek::eek:

Car sat for 3 months before I even touched it, had other projects I was working on. Stupid mk2 vr swaps :banghead: The other silver arrow was a parts car for my buddys mk2, red mk2 was a half assed swap that I bought to finish, and black gli was another swap for one of the porters at work.

Started taking it apart around june/july 2012. I have a video of it rod knocking like a mofo, I just have to find it.

Made myself a folder.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a good ob2 vr long block laying around that I used for it. Painted the block with por15 and sent the head to the machine shop for new valve stem seals.

Assembled back up sometime after h20, with mk4 headgaket and new chains/guides.

While all my accessories were off, I sandblasted them and repainted everything.

Reinforced my oil pan.

2.9 cloned my intake manifold and polished it. Last time I ever polish an intake manifold. :screwy:

Repainted my subframe, control arms, cleaned up my radiator support, and installed r32 control arm bushings.

Clean and repainted my calipers/carriers. Also got mk4 rear calipers, along with ecs stainless steel brake lines.

Engine was ready for the trans.

Got a lightweight flywheel from auto tech, no pics. Mated engine and trans together to go back in the bay.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got a used badgeless grille. Painted it to match.

At some point bought some 16" hre 504 wheels.

Been collecting goodies over time.

Installed a 3 spoke steering wheel from mk4, what a pain in the arse. So much drilling involved.

First start, got a video somewhere. Gotta find it and upload it.

Sold the hre, they required too much work to make work on the gti. Bought 16" rs instead, got a deal I couldnt pass up.

Had the centers powdercoated gold, and bought 2" lips for the rear. Cleaned my hardware while my centers were away.

Assembled, torqued, sealed, and mounted.

Got my cxracing coilovers. Painted my hardware for the coils. :screwy:

First time back on the ground in a year.

Figured out I made a wiring issue when I was rewiring my engine harness for the mk4 iat :banghead: Since I had to take it out, I ordered a south performance gasket.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Through out the rebuild, there has been a bunch of shenanigans because no build is complete with out shenanigans. :laugh: My buddy was re-shelling his car, he needed space in his garage so we cut up his red golf. Also acquired a car lift that I have yet to install. Bought a civic for $200, had a hole in the block but still drove.

Had to make this for April Fools day. Got everyone with it. :D

Drove the car to the car wash before my buddy came by to buff it. First drive for the car in 7 years. :eek: I felt like I forgot how to vr6, I was over revving every gear :sly:

Test fitted the rs. Did not like how the fronts sat.

Last night had grind my calipers to clear the wheels, so I can run a 10mm spacer and moar camber. Of course, had to cut myself with the grinder. End result was worth it.

My buddy came by and buffed it for me, what a difference. :eek::eek::eek:

Got my interfooler piping yesterday to make my intake.

I have a lot more pictures to post. I will post them as the thread goes on. Enjoy the pics for now, sorry most of them are out of order :banghead: Ill keep the thread up to date the more things i do. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 420 Posts