VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Passat VR6, got it running better, now for the next questions...
ABS light - Replaced the rear rotors, calipers and pads, front was fine. The ABS light is on a lot. Sometimes, after driving for a bit, it goes off. I am thinking of flushing and refilling the brake fluid. ideas?
Same panel as the ABS light, is what appears to be an Airbag light, and it's on. I am trying to find an owner's manual, what does that light mean?
Tranny - frequent;y, the tranny shifts erratically. This car will get rubber going into third at 30, or 70. Sometimes it ****s normally, but usually not. ideas?
Thanks,
Norm

· Registered
889 Posts
Re: more noob questions (storminsince73)

The light next to the ABS is airbag. You may be able to have the light reset. Mine went on mysteriously and resetting it did the trick.
The ABS pumps are trouble on that car. I'm not sure why.
Auto trannys suck too.

· Registered
873 Posts
Re: more noob questions (storminsince73)

The brake fluid should be replaced every two years with fresh DOT4 fluid, nothing else. Was your ABS light coming on before you did the work to the brakes? If not, then you most likely have air in the system. These cars are a bit more difficult than most to get the air out. If the light was coming on before, then make sure all your wheel sensors are clean. More than likely the light is coming on due to inadequate pressure in the ABS pump. Two things cause this, the pumps seals wear out, or the brake fluid wear out. Since the fluid is the cheaper route, it can't hurt to change it. As for your auto tranny, change the fluid and filter in that TWICE. Its a safe way to get all the fluid out. You change it once, then drive it a bit, then change it again. You must use the proper VW fluid for that trans, don't use anything else. Here is some info I dug up on bleeding the brakes on these cars. Follow it exactly. goodluck!!!
1)Exhaust vacuum reserve from power unit by depressing brake pedal several times. On ABS-equipped vehicles, depress brake pedal at least 20 times to relieve system pressure.
2)On all vehicles, fill master cylinder with clean brake fluid. If master cylinder was replaced, bleed master cylinder before bleeding wheel calipers. Connect bleeder hose to appropriate caliper bleeder valve. Brake bleeding sequence = RR, LR, RF, LF
--Push lever of pressure regulator in direction of rear axle when bleeding rear brakes.
3)Submerge other end of hose in clean glass jar partially filled with clean brake fluid. Pump brake pedal several times, then hold down. Open bleeder valve. Holding pedal down, close bleeder valve. Release brake pedal.
4)Repeat procedure until brake fluid shows no signs of air bubbles. When bleeding rear brakes, push lever of pressure regulator in direction of rear axle.
5) After bleeding ABS vehicles, turn ignition on. Allow pump to run until it shuts off. If pump runs longer than 2 minutes, allow pump to cool for 10 minutes. On all vehicles, ensure master cylinder reservoir is full.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.