VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s not that I’m cheep its just that I’m perpetually broke.
With that said my question is, do any of yall have any tip, tricks, or how to suggestions as to how I could get some more power out of my stock 1.8 for the least amount of money?
Thank you much,

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Re: more power / less money (PowBoy)

find a dual outlet manifold if you dont have one already
and a cheap cat-back
if you have any hookups at an exhaust shop this would be the time to use it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
if its digi
get a tt chip
advance the timing a little bit
if you want to go fast and dont care about comfort strip the interior http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: more power / less money (v_dubguy2004)

First off it’s an 86
As it is right now…
It’s striped
Coyleovers
Anti sways
Strut tower brace in the front
Reinforced swig arm
Oversized free flow exhaust
Battery behind the passengers seat
It’s a super fun ride and it’s my daily driver… it’s my baby
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cat- back
And how do I know if its digital or not?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
cat back means exhaust from the catalytic converter back, and digi stangs for digifant which is a type of fuel injection used on vw's. if you have an 86 you should have CIS i beleive.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PowBoy »
First off it’s an 86
As it is right now…
It’s striped

You could upgrade to racing stripes...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Re: more power / less money (ptem)

The dual downpipe and dual outlet manifold from an 88GLi has the most bang for the buck. About $100, plus gaskets and stuff.
Combine this with you current exhaust system, and add a mild cam $120. Other than that, everything else costs more $$$.
Sean

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: more power / less money (saporter)

Quote, originally posted by saporter »
The dual downpipe and dual outlet manifold from an 88GLi has the most bang for the buck.

Could I find this in the yard?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: more power / less money (ptem)

Quote, originally posted by ptem »

You could upgrade to racing stripes...

I figure firs I’ll get that plastic chrome trim right, then I’ll put it around my doors and hatch and even the hood. Then I’ll get the biggest, loudest exhaust I can find. Then I’ll get those hubcaps that spin when you stop moving right then I’ll go and…

·
Registered
470 Posts

I figure first I’ll get that plastic chrome trim right, then I’ll put it around my doors and hatch and even the hood. Then I’ll get the biggest, loudest exhaust I can find. Then I’ll get those hubcaps that spin when you stop moving right then I’ll go and…

LMAO! And Stickers! Don't forget stickers! Every sticker adds like five to ten HP depending on size and color

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: more power / less money (The7Footer)

Oh yah, stickers, I'll have to get at least 20 or 30 of those.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: more power / less money (josh holbert)

Quote, originally posted by josh holbert »
WHAT is reinforced swig arm ? do you mean swing arm i havent heard of that

Sorry teach, dose this mean I fail my typing test?

·
Banned
368 Posts

Seriously man, power costs money. If you don't have any money to mod your car wait until you do. Save the money you would spend on stupid little stuff and save up for more worthwhile parts.
-Get a K&N drop in filter 30$
-Cam as stated above 100-120$ from TT for a 260-268 go with the 268
-TT's cat back exhausts aren't that expensive, 200$ or so
-shifter rebuild, or at least replace the bushings for more positive shifts
-short shift kit, autotechs is 45$ or so from Adirondack
-good sticky tires
-good clutch, a new clutch is only around 100$, you can also get a lightened flywheel for around 125$
that's all I can think of for now..
Also, it's a torsion beam, not a swing arm, swing arms are on motorcycles..
Also, coilovers, not coyleovers..
ps, just trying to help you out a little bit. There is a spell check located just above the box you post in..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: more power / less money (PullinG'z)

thanks man!
yah..spelling isn't one of my strong points...my apoljies

·
Banned
368 Posts

Not a problem man.. just helping a guy out since most of the snobs on this board are quick to flame on people for stupid things.. Get used to it and learn to deal with it and take with a smile and you will enjoy your time reading and posting here..

·
Banned
7,560 Posts

It’s not that I’m cheep its just that I’m perpetually broke.
With that said my question is, do any of yall have any tip, tricks, or how to suggestions as to how I could get some more power out of my stock 1.8 for the least amount of money?
Thank you much,

welllllll, lets see. i'll assume you just bought the car, and if thats the case, your first line of attack should be spending every penny on fixing everything thats wrong with the car FIRST...then, and only then, worry about wasting your money trying to get more power out of a 8V.....

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Re: more power / less money (PDXGTI8V)

Quote, originally posted by PDXGTI8V »

welllllll, lets see. i'll assume you just bought the car, and if thats the case, your first line of attack should be spending every penny on fixing everything thats wrong with the car FIRST...then, and only then, worry about wasting your money trying to get more power out of a 8V.....

werd

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
Re: more power / less money (PDXGTI8V)

Quote, originally posted by PDXGTI8V »

blahblahblah... good thing i had everything fixed everything on my car... only to lose an exhaust valve on my trip to PDX along with a whiney 5th gear and to top it off i blew a CV out turning into my driveway tonight...
Damn i love my dub

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Re: more power / less money (Pred)

Quote, originally posted by Pred »

blahblahblah... good thing i had everything fixed everything on my car... only to lose an exhaust valve on my trip to PDX along with a whiney 5th gear and to top it off i blew a CV out turning into my driveway tonight...
Damn i love my dub

yep, arent project cars fun?????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts