VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have worked out a few issues, and here is what I still need to fix...BTW, the free beer and food offer is below....
1) 2 new tires
2) Front Brakes
3) Horn relay (pops the fuse all the time), and if I put a higher AMP fuse, the horn blows all the time
4)Heater (Just changed the regulator yesterday, and it worked on 2 out of 3 speeds. Today, only the last speed works)
5) Alignment
6) Tranny fluid.
My questions are as follow:
1) Is it worth it to change the tranny fluid at all, and if so, from from dino to synth ? how hard is it to do by myself ?
2) Heater: Do I have a faulty resistor, or what else could cause such a problem ?
3) Brakes...Seriously, how hard is it to do by myself for the front brakes ? I know I need new brake pads and rotors. How can I tell if I need new calipers ? I have been told it is a simple, easy and fast job to do. Anyone with experience could give me a hint ? If I screw up other repairs, my car will no longer work...If I screw up the breaks, it could potentially be dangerous, so I want to know if it's worth me attemting to do the work.
4) Alignement: Will let someone with experience do it

5) Tires: Ditto
6) Horn: I am dumbfounded and can't seem to follow the relay...Mechanic for this one I know for sure !
However, if someone from the Montreal area would't mind spending part of an evening showing me the basics of brake changing etc...I will buy them a few beers and a decent meals afterwards ! You can call me at (514) 999-2376, or email me at [email protected]

This business of buying a new used car is hard....Just bought my 92 Golf, and here are all the little things I changed:
1) Side flange for coolant
2) Oil pressure switch
3) Coolant hose from the expansion tank to the rad
4) Battery + cables
5) Spark plugs
6) Oil, filter
7) Coolant
Although I have very limited experience as a mechanic (short of my bike), I managed to do all of the above alone with my Bentley and a little help from this forum.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Re: More questions... and free beer and food offer ! (JF)

Brakes are easier than you think. Just take them apart and pay attention how they go back together. When you get the pads out, they will be thinner than the new ones. You'll have to compess the piston to fit the rotor in between the new pads.
Changing brake fluid IMO is more complicated that changing rotors/pads. If you are going to do it, do the fluid, pads, and rotors all at once.
Someone else will have to teach you how to do the fluid, I don't know how to make it simple.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: More questions... and free beer and food offer ! (JF)

3) Horn relay (pops the fuse all the time), and if I put a higher AMP fuse, the horn blows all the time
short. Go ahead and change the relay, the fact that the horn wants to blow all the time tells you something. I don't recall it using a relay, but hey.
anyway, take a multimeter, pull the fuse, and see if there's a short inside the steer column, or somewhere else. You don't need to see where the wires go to use the info in CURRENT FLOW DIAGRAMS section of Bentley, to narrow down which section of the circuit has the fault.

4)Heater (Just changed the regulator yesterday, and it worked on 2 out of 3 speeds. Today, only the last speed works)
resistor pack at the blower motor. Follow the wiring. Into the blower motor. Tthat thing where it changes from like 4-5 wires to like 2 is the resistor pack. That thing probably needs to be replaced, and pull the motor out and flush it wih WD40 or something until it's cleared out.
My questions are as follow:
1) Is it worth it to change the tranny fluid at all, and if so, from from dino to synth ? how hard is it to do by myself ?

Yes. Yes. Easy. 17mm socket head. It's in the Bentley, under LUBRICATION AND MAINTENANCE with a little extra in MANUAL TRANSMISSION
2.1L, even if you get told around here that 2.0 is enough

2) Heater: Do I have a faulty resistor, or what else could cause such a problem ?
Yes, faulty resistor pack, probably because the blower motor is either about to finish off the brushes, or because it's dirty. WD40, and possible some new brushes.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with all you've already done! It gets easier, really

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: More questions... and free beer and food offer ! (negativl)

<<Yes, faulty resistor pack, probably because the blower motor is either about to finish off the brushes, or because it's dirty. WD40, and possible some new brushes>>
OK...my resistor pack is brand spanking new...so I guess it is the blower motor, brushes, or dirt....WHen the fan is on level 3, I can sometimes hear a whining squealing noise.....does that indicate anything else ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.