VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX Limited
25,196 Posts
Re: More sexy Cayman pics (aceclimber722)

That NA rear bumper is just...pluh.

Nice car otherwise. Any pics of it in black. Everything looks hotter in black. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by VarianceJ30 at 11:07 PM 9-9-2005

· Registered
971 Posts
Re: More sexy Cayman pics (Rob)

I hope those aren't "real" promo pics

Using women to sell this car will only make it lose "Face", as it will be quickly dismissed as another secretary's car.
That, and I find the use of women to sell non-gender specific products, rather limiting. This marketing techinique is flawed in two ways:
1. If it's directed at men:
We need a man in the picture for the woman to swoon over. Showing the woman wanting the man who has the car, makes the man want the car to get the woman.
For a man seeing a woman who has her own car without a man, there isn't really much driving the man to want the car. (except the car itself, which in this case, doesn't need a woman standing around it!)
2. If this advertisement is directed at women:
It's OK, but it's limiting the scope of the product. Also, I don't think the picture of the girl posing in the wind does much to convince women to buy the car. It just looks like the woman is placed there as an ornament, and of course, all women want to be treated like some man's property

The picture with the briefcase is a little better, since it shows that the car might indeed be hers. However, it's still a little "weak". The woman still looks like she's just in the picture to be an ornament, and still wouldn't convince anyone to buy the car.
The only picture which does justice, is the one with the woman visibly driving the car. The only problem I see, is that with cars, most people can accept a man driving the car as a "neutral" gender ad. This is because women have ***** envy and can picture themselves as the man in the advert, just as easily as any other man.
But once you put a woman in a car advert, the gender bias of the advert shifts to being a female biased product. For female targeted advertising, this is fine. But for cross gender advertising, you force the males to imagine themselves as a female in order to appreciate the product, and you therefore alienate a huge percentage of the male population.

· Registered
140 Posts
Re: More sexy Cayman pics (Phreestyle)

The car is awesome and I will have one within a couple of years.
Quote, originally posted by Phreestyle »
But once you put a woman in a car advert, the gender bias of the advert shifts to being a female biased product. For female targeted advertising, this is fine. But for cross gender advertising, you force the males to imagine themselves as a female in order to appreciate the product, and you therefore alienate a huge percentage of the male population.

This is prejudice masquerading as pseudo social science.
I have no doubt that brand consultants think this way. However, the fact that the auto industry pays them lots of $$ to reconfirm popular prejudices doesn't make it true.
I don't doubt that men suffer from castration anxiety more often than women, but I'm not sure that's what you meant to say

Modified by cwilliams at 8:44 PM 9-9-2005

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX Limited
25,196 Posts

IWe need a man in the picture for the woman to swoon over. Showing the woman wanting the man who has the car, makes the man want the car to get the woman.

Enzodude: The Solution to Life's Problems
:

· Registered
1,590 Posts

Design meeting at Porsche:

Big Wig: Is there any way we could put the 911 lid on the Boxster?
Engineer: Sure that seems plausible.
Big Wig: And can it come in Cornflower Blue?
Engineer: That's not really my territory, but why not.
Big Wig: And can we give it a name that confuses it with a vehicle twice it's size?
Engineer: Even better...

· Registered
2,082 Posts

I love Porsche and It's my goal in life to get an 993 911TT someday for the hell of it .....but is it just me or does the cayman look like a cross between a crossfire and an RX8............
FLAME thingy is on

Modified by gtiglxvr62000 at 10:33 PM 9-9-2005

· Registered
971 Posts
Re: More sexy Cayman pics (cwilliams)

Quote, originally posted by cwilliams »

This is prejudice masquerading as pseudo social science.
I have no doubt that brand consultants think this way. However, the fact that the auto industry pays them lots of $$ to reconfirm popular prejudices doesn't make it true.
I don't doubt that men suffer from castration anxiety more often than women, but I'm not sure that's what you meant to say

lol.

No, I agree - it's social prejudice. One of many constructs which define the marketing paradigm. Afterall, Marketing is 90% emotion and 10% fact.

· Registered
23,369 Posts

I hope those aren't "real" promo pics

Using women to sell this car will only make it lose "Face", as it will be quickly dismissed as another secretary's car.

There's precedent with the 914. Only I can't find the pictures anywhere on a Google Image search. They must be in some books I have at home.
At least this woman is a little more attractive than the one from the '70s

Seriously though, it's the same as the models manufacturers employ at car shows. The intent is for 'class' and 'elegance' moreso than sex, and a 'classy' model next to an Enzo certainly does not make it a "secretary's car."
Take a breath or two

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.