VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
10,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mosler acquired by Rossion, name being retired

Mosler is one of the most interesting upstart automakers to have survived the 1980s and '90s. Its Consulier GTP was ugly, but effective, and able to out-lap more powerful cars with its tiny turbocharged 2.2-liter engine from Chrysler. The company, founded by its namesake Warren Mosler, has persevered for 28 years since its founding in 1985, its latest and last vehicle being the MT900 supercar. We have news, however, that its independent streak has ended: Mosler has been acquired by RP High Performance, the private entity that also owns Rossion.

You may remember Rossion as the company formerly named 1G Racing, which got its start as the sole importer and distributor of British-built Noble supercars. It eventually bought the rights to produce its own version of the Noble M400 and M12, which it called the Rossion Q1.

The announcement of Mosler's acquisition on Rossion's website doesn't give many details, but does confirm that the latter's co-owner, Ian Grunes, will be President of the new company, and that all assets of both companies will be combined. Henceforth, however, the Mosler name will no longer be used and all new cars will carry the Rossion name. As to which new cars are on their way, Rossion only says they will be in 4-, 6- and 8-cylinder configurations, and make extensive use of Mosler's expertise in lightweight composites.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/17/mosler-acquired-by-rossion-name-being-retired/

· Registered
10,218 Posts
FV-QR

Weird that they'd can the name. I bet more people know Mosler (from GT racing / Le Mans) than Rossion. I'd certainly never heard of the latter before I joined TCL.

27,581 Posts
They build the Moslers about 3 miles from me. I used to drive by their building every day going back and forth to work, and it was rare to ever see a car outside. I've always wondered if the company was actually viable, or more of just a pet project.

I hope they continue to build the current car though. The thing is a beast on the track.

· Registered
19,733 Posts
Weird that they'd can the name. I bet more people know Mosler (from GT racing / Le Mans) than Rossion. I'd certainly never heard of the latter before I joined TCL.
Supposedly Mosler has been banned by so many racing series (for winning) that maybe a name change is needed! :laugh:

27,581 Posts
A couple of articles:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2006-mosler-mt900s-road-test-raw-performance-page-2

in 2006:

After about a dozen launches, we gave up on first gear because any time we touched the gas pedal, the tires went up in smoke. So we tried starting in second gear. The results were staggering. The Mosler now inhaled 60 mph in only 3.1 seconds, which is quicker than both the Porsche Carrera GT and Ferrari Enzo (3.5 and 3.3 seconds). The quarter-mile time was 11 seconds flat at 135 mph (Porsche, 11.2 at 132; Ferrari, 11.2 at 136). Every segment of acceleration performance was similarly astonishing--100 mph in 6.5 seconds and 150 in 13.8.

Next up was the skidpad test, where the MT900 delivered 1.05 g--the same as an Enzo--and copious amounts of understeer. The MT900's suspension is completely adjustable, so Mosler chief engineer Todd Wagner fiddled with the front and rear anti-roll bars. This fixed the understeer, and then the MT900 recorded a neck-straining 1.08 g, which the number geeks know is the highest we've ever recorded for a car on street tires

From 2008 Lightning Lap

And then there’s the Mosler. It was just so astoundingly fast that, frankly, our amateur skills could not fully exploit its capabilities. It handles quite well—predictable, glued down, and with outstanding brake feel. But uncorking the 550-hp LS7 V-8 propels this featherweight, 2584-pound car like a cannon shot. That tremendous speed was in itself unnerving. There are subtle bumps on the gently curved start-finish straight that sent the rear end skipping about to the point that we instinctively feathered the throttle. That surely cost us some time, so we pitted for a shock adjustment. When we went back out, a strip of wheel weights fell off, producing enough vibration that our deeply rooted instincts for self-preservation took over and we parked it. Overall, though, it’s a remarkably well-turned-out car. Warren Mosler’s years of work have paid off. It’s like a streetgoing IMSA prototype, and it’s even quicker than its chart-topping time suggests.

· Registered
3,687 Posts
They build the Moslers about 3 miles from me. I used to drive by their building every day going back and forth to work, and it was rare to ever see a car outside. I've always wondered if the company was actually viable, or more of just a pet project.

I hope they continue to build the current car though. The thing is a beast on the track.
pet project, i met warren mosler's son on campus at uconn when his dad was running for a senate seat, i think as an independent or unbacked democrat candidate. i think he made a killing in finance and then went on to build race cars for fun. his son had driven one up and was using it as something of a bizarre campaign prop. he was running as a down to earth fiscal conservative and social liberal, i wouldve voted for him but i really really didnt want linda mcmahon to win. :D

27,581 Posts
pet project, i met warren mosler's son on campus at uconn when his dad was running for a senate seat, i think as an independent or unbacked democrat candidate. i think he made a killing in finance and then went on to build race cars for fun. his son had driven one up and was using it as something of a bizarre campaign prop. he was running as a down to earth fiscal conservative and social liberal, i wouldve voted for him but i really really didnt want linda mcmahon to win. :D
I always figured it was more of a hobby than a business. I would have voted for him based entirely on his attitude toward cars. :laugh:

Article said:
At a base price of $190,500, the mid-engine, 405-hp MT900S doesn't come with power steering, nor is that convenience even available. "Do you think the car needs it?" asks Mosler. "The steering ratio is adjustable, and power assist would only add weight."

And so we arrive at the primary corollary of Warren's World: Weight is always the enemy. Make the car light enough, and you won't need power steering.
:thumbup:

· Registered
5,949 Posts
Rossion sent me this back on june 11th.

RP High Performance acquires Rossion and Mosler!

You may have heard some rumors, theories, what ifs.. But it is now official, RP High Performance a privately owned company has finalized the acquisition of the assets of Rossion Automotive and Mosler Automotive. The new company will operate under the Rossion brand with Ian Grunes as President. This deal brings together all the assets of both companies under one roof and management team.
The Mosler name will no longer be used and all new cars produced will carry the Rossion name. The purchase of Mosler allows Rossion to produce and sell more models of vehicles, using the resources and expertise of both companies.
Mosler has a great history based in racing and tremendous amounts of experience in using composites like carbon fiber to produce strong, lightweight and very competitive vehicles. Rossion looks forward to using this technology and expertise to introduce exciting new models in 4, 6 and 8 cylinder configurations to the Rossion line up.
I hope everything works out, awesome cars and they are so much fun to drive on and off the track..

· Registered
20,176 Posts
My Uncle shared this news with me a few days ago.

He's personal friends with Warren Mosler and has had several Consuliers, one of the coolest having a Northstar V8.

He's been driving one for a while now, that he just gave back to Warren as I think it was an early production car.

I will remember many childhood rides and getting to drive the Consulier on several occasions.

My Uncle drove the MT900S up from Florida to do the one-lap.

Sad day, indeed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.