VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my associates had a really nice mid 90's BMW 750il. Huge, black 12 cylinder car that was mint inside and out. Basically, his baby for the last few years. For some reason that I can't figure out, he test drove a used Kia Optima and decided it was the car for him after looking at multiple new 9-5s, CTS, and 3 Series. I know he isn't lacking for money, and seems to care about image quite a bit so I'm a little shocked by this decision. Anyone else gone big time downmarket in their vehicles?

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (Deception)

I used to have a new 2000 Jetta GLX. Now I drive a VERY used 1995 GMC Jimmy. Woe is me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That very well could be the case. I know sometimes people would make comments regarding his BMW and the image it projected that he didn't appreciate. But now with the Kia, it could go the completely other way.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (GTO1)

Must be 750iL's expensive maintenances scare him away, so he decided to look at car with long warranty.

G

·

Well, I went from a Kia Sephia LS to a Jagur XJR...
That said, I don't quite grasp why he'd go to a used Optima...

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (A4Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by A4Jetta »
Must be 750iL's expensive maintenances scare him away, so he decided to look at car with long warranty.

Very true, when he purchased the car four years ago he got a two year warranty somehow... Went through something like four ecu's, bunch of power seat motors, tons of other crazy random things that he complained about. I can't imagine the Idrive problems in say, seven years on the Bangle 7.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

I am surprise he got an Optima. He should buy a brand-new Amanti instead. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
887 Posts

Well, I traded my GTI VR6 for a WRX.. Now I ride on the bare floorboards and the hard plastic dash scrapes my skin off every time I touch it.. But I haul ass everywhere I go so I don't care about that stuff. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (mtrainVR6)

i went from an Audi A4 to a honda civic. most people think i went downmarket and i get a lot of "why didn't you just keep the audi?!?" comments. but the civic is cheaper ($$$ is good), quicker, more fun to drive, more reliable, and has a better warranty. but 750 to kia is waaaaaaaay more extreme!

·
Banned
26,760 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Deception »
He wanted to humble himself?

Yeah, who knows? Maybe his psychologist recommended he lose the Bimmer to help his runaway image issues or something.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (StattlichPassat)

I went from a 928S4 to a '97 GTI. Got sick of replacing EVERYTHING on the Porsche. Well, sick and broke.
Best move I ever made. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (soeurotrash)

I went from a 2001 Jetta, to a 1990 e34...... cause I got laid off
um yeah its rough messing with those power seats, and dual climate control...
hold on what was the point of this post again
, downgrading doesnt have to be rough
I dont get it 750 to a kia, there are plenty of reliablle good cars out there..., even some BMWs... that just defies explanation.. a kia and used one at that doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (nuke941)

1995 Miata to a 2001 Focus. I know, not a beat you in the face downgrade, but with a baby on the way, a downgrade nonetheless.
On the plus side, I did my homework, and for the price, it's not a dead boat to drive in a 5-spd.
And thanks for the offer Matt. I was just too impatient to wait.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (rick_chicago)

Had a leased 528, but expensive college means leased Jetta Gl. Oh well, I like my Jetta, but I like education more than a car.
Just FYI for anyone who might care to know, E34 525's used the M50 and the M50TU with the TU being the engine after the Vanos update. The M20 was the 6 cylinder used in the E30's and the E28 528e....just a thought....

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: Most extreme downmarket car purchase? (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »

That said, I don't quite grasp why he'd go to a used Optima...

to avoid that hefty new car depreciation hit.

Modified by rockit at 11:28 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
28,076 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTO1 »
... and seems to care about image quite a bit so I'm a little shocked by this decision.

I'm always amazed that people need a car to project an image.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts