VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, everytime I bring my new car to NYC, it always gets banged up, or scratched up badly. I am sooo serious, the quickest way to depreciate any car, is too bring it to NY. The front to back parking destroys the bumpers, the traffic seems to hit my mirror or body, and the people (especially guys on bikes) love to hit my car. Shoot, forget to mention the young kids key'n black shiny cars for the joy of it...
Basically, I am coming to the point of either selling and going to NY, or keeping it and staying in Jacksonville (where money/opportunity really sucks bad). I really can't find a decent job that suits me here, soooo sad! And there is nothing fun I like to do here!
No offense, but I seem to not get along with the southern folk here (northerners here are cool of course), bcuz they seem to put on a friendly attitude, but then burn you. Shoot, I love NY'ers for being straight up and blunt. Most things aren't hidden with my peeps.
Shoot, when did Tex become a life advice forum??? But, the whole thing is the R. I love this car, but I hate FL! I miss fresh water trout fishing, the snow skiing, and all that good stuf...
Dunno...

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Re: Most likely moving back to NYC with R, and need advice. (larryccf1)

I was having the same dilema. I still am actually. But in the end I would try and keep the R. Maybe in a garage somehwere? Good luck. If not, maybe a relative can watch it for you somewhere?

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Most likely moving back to NYC with R, and need advice. (Dark Cipher)

Quote, originally posted by Dark Cipher »
I was having the same dilema. I still am actually. But in the end I would try and keep the R. Maybe in a garage somehwere? Good luck. If not, maybe a relative can watch it for you somewhere?

Funny you should say that! My dad has a garage in Ghotti-ville, so I will most likely leave it there!
When I get the time, I will throw on 17"s not 15"s (cuz not possible)...
Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
606 Posts
you guys are funny
lets see.
i live in ny
i drive an R32 and just got rid of my S4.
you always read of people bending wheels
bubles in tires scratches here scratches there.
i don't agree. it's true i have a garage
but i have no scratches, no bends, no bubles but i am very carefull with my cars.
hope that helps
before staten island i was in queens for 12 years

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (chirilla)

Mannnnnnnnn, Staten Island is soooooooo diff than Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Manhattan. I look at SI like LI...
You will bend your R32 OEM rim! Time baby, time...!
Park it only in the street, and you will have sh!t happen, even in SI!

Modified by CG_MN at 9:37 AM 11-17-2004

· Banned
3,409 Posts
Re: (chirilla)

run south on I95 from CT going to Triboro bridge
i thought my pothole avoidance skills were pretty decent till i saw the frigging pothole that ran the full width of my lane, about 8 - 10" deep and about 20 - 24" across

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Stew312)

Actually, that is an awesome idea!
CT is soooo nice, plus can do some gamble'n while live'n there

NJ is also good.
PA is another possibility, bcuz I had a house in the pocono's and loved it, but it's more for a weekend thing to me.
Thanks!

· Registered
7,072 Posts
Re: (CG_MN)

Quote, originally posted by CG_MN »
Actually, that is an awesome idea!
CT is soooo nice, plus can do some gamble'n while live'n there

NJ is also good.
PA is another possibility, bcuz I had a house in the pocono's and loved it, but it's more for a weekend thing to me.
Thanks!

No prob
then you can roll with our CT .:R crew http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
There's also good job possibilities in New Haven, Hartford, etc.. What do you do??

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by Stew312 »
No prob
then you can roll with our CT .:R crew http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
There's also good job possibilities in New Haven, Hartford, etc.. What do you do??

Microbiology/Chemistry (Bio-Research), Environmental Science, Insurance Underwriter, Mortgaging, and plz don't ask what I do right at the moment >>Ashamed<< etc...
New Haven is a great place to live! I would never mind living there! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
EDIT:
How much is a 1 bed apt. going for up there?

Modified by CG_MN at 10:59 AM 11-17-2004

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (R32DubGirl)

Quote, originally posted by R32DubGirl »
Wurd- when the car's ridin' stock height, drop it like it's hot... drop it like it's hot...

Hey you, your right in the area of another location possibilty.
My daughter is by the white marsh area, and I would love to be close to her.

· Registered
3,920 Posts
Re: Most likely moving back to NYC with R, and need advice. (CG_MN)

I live in NYC and have an R. Yes, it's crazy in a sense, but at the same time I'm crazy about cars.....and crazy about my R.
You can keep and drive our R in NYC. It's not the end of the world. Especially if you do garage it, I wouldn't be too worried. Yes, there are a lot of pot holes, but you just need to drive at moderate speeds, practice your slalom skills(!), and keep an eye out. Should be fine. When you do park on the street, make sure you have at least a yard on both ends of your car, so someone hopefully doesn't bump it. Don't park next to real beat-up looking cars, b/c those drivers probably couldn't care less what they hit!
Over the course of a year, you will probably get a couple of nics here and there (most on bumper), but nothing that bad. You can also get the bumpers refinished every year or two.
Don't get me wrong, there are much better environments (most are) for the R than NYC, but you don't need to get rid of the car just b/c of NYC. I see plenty of nice BMWs, MBs, and Porsches...with a Maserati, Ferrari, and Lamborghini here and there, and yes....some of them parked on the street (I doubt overnight!), so I think the R can survive.
It's up to how much you like the R and want to keep it, b/c it can be a pain in the but to have in the city.....but a nice rip upstate, or even on the FDR or WS HWY will make much of it worth it! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Most likely moving back to NYC with R, and need advice. (GR32)

Quote, originally posted by GR32 »
.....but a nice rip upstate, or even on the FDR or WS HWY will make much of it worth it! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Yes, I frequent those roads.
I use WSH to go upstate for trout fishing every year around May. WSH -> GWB -> PP -> 17 all the way to exit 94 (I think) Roscoe... Trout Capital...
FDR is often used to go to the bronx when I visit some family (have a whole lot of them up there!)...
Yeah, the Hasidik (sp?) jews are the ones that killed my last Golf TDI, with them beat up wagons, minivans, and old police cars. No less their kids who ghost ride their bikes into cars for fun. I think they are taught to do stuff like that, so you would move, and have another of their relative move into you place...

Then you have the gypsy cabs, they are bad too. I wish I could control how much parking space can be around my car, then this discussion wouldn't be going on

· Banned
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Every weekend April 15th - June 15th I head up by Bear Mtn!
I pass right by it when I head for the fishing trip!
I guess if I move up to NYC, I will be attending most of them GTG's!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.