VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I knew a guy with a diesel Caddy with almost a million miles on the chassis. The engine had been replaced a couple of times and the last engine was on it's 5th headgasket when I last saw it. That's a pretty extreme example, but given how solid my 1981 feels with 240k miles on body I can see how it would be possible. Just have to keep up on maintenance and don't let the small things go for too long.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My 1984 Jetta GLI

I bought my used 84 GLI back in 1987. For a three year old car, it had 59K kilometres on it. I parked it in 2009 with 330k kilometres.

After driving it as my daily driver, it stood the test of time for over twenty years in one of the harshest Canadian climates. It was very reliable and if anything broke on it, there was nothing that Robert Bentley and I could not fix.

If I had the chance, I would buy another 84 GLI ... :)

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
there was nothing that Robert Bentley and I could not fix.
so wait, you were able to fix your car without the aid of the internets?!?! :eek:

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
This is the Mk1 forum, but I have driven two Mk3's to 225,000 miles plus and by far they have achieved the most miles with the least hassle. One of them has done a couple of 24 hour lemons races, and the engine has never been out of the car!!!!!!

I have also driven two different Mk1's from new to 180,000 miles and from 200,000 miles to 250,000 miles so I have something to compare the Mk3's to.

The Mk1's never had major problems, but it was always the little aggravating things like, strut bearings, water pumps, starters, cam belts(thank god for the non interference valves), and fuel pumps.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
stock obd1 mk3 aba.You can weld the hood shut and never have to change the oil if you desire..nothing ever breaks!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.